It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Holiday Shopping - 2017 Was A Record. 2018 Was a Whopping 42 percent Higher!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
December 26, 2018

The numbers are in.. President Trump's "MAGA For Consumers", has delivered TWO record Holiday Shopping Seasons in a row!

In 2017, financial media reported a record $598 billion was the holiday spending total.

And in 2018, financial media reports $850 billion is the total holiday spending.

That’s a difference of $252 billion more spent in 2018. An increase of 42%.

A forty-two percent increase !!

Now, you might say it’s simply a difference in the media source. However, CBS is cited specifically to avoid this possible disparity.
More at: theconservativetreehouse.com... /

Of course, as with any positive economic trend, there will always be individuals and families who didn't realize that growth for themselves.

Even though wild swings in various markets (Stocks, Oil, Commodities) give the media opportunities to hyperventilate, the booming U.S. economy, and tax-cuts, are Making America Even Greater for the majority of American consumers!

-CareWeMust

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 11:52 PM
link   
If a majority of Americans TRULY knew the ACTUAL state of the economy, (we are teetering on the edge of an epic, inevitable collapse) they would have limited their spending.

As with most coping mechanisms, be it alcohol or drugs, sex or shopping, it's only a bandaid...a temporary dopamine dump.

The true state of affairs are going to catch millions off guard, unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

I disagree.

We won’t have any issues economically unless the elites want us to have them and if they do there won’t be a damn thing anyone can do about it. Better to have useful gifts 🎁 than worthless dollars anyway.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:29 AM
link   
So, under Trump, a lot of people became suckers and bought more unneeded Christmas presents. How does that show that our economy is better, maybe it is just that more people got used to believing in untrue things because of the media. We cannot give the credit of this to Trump, the news these days is just as real as Santa and his flying reindeer.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
So, under Trump, a lot of people became suckers and bought more unneeded Christmas presents. How does that show that our economy is better, maybe it is just that more people got used to believing in untrue things because of the media. We cannot give the credit of this to Trump, the news these days is just as real as Santa and his flying reindeer.

I knew we were in trouble as country when my local grocery store started selling gift certificates for groceries.

edit on 27-12-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:48 AM
link   
here's the big question

how much of that was financed and how much of that was actual liquid capital?

that's the important part of the equation you are leaving out. spending more doesn't = better economy it's what is being spent that matters more

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I always was and still am against people’s “senseless” shopping, this is not the sign of “healthy economy”, and beside… what this has anything to do with the tRUMP and MAGA thing..????

Greedy stupid consumers meet greedy stupid deliverer, simple as that…

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Dividing that number by the current US population means that every single person spent about $2600. Including children. Does this square with anyone's reality? I smell BS.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

No worries, they all have had a 10% raise!

**let's all brace for shock! Bookmarking this thread🕸

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Dishonest reporting from your source.

Although he claims the figures are comparable by using CBS the 2 articles use different data sources with different methodology. This is obvious from even a casual glance at the articles which strongly suggests deliberate dishonesty rather than just sloppy research.

If you stick to Mastercard as source it still shows an impressive 5% increase from last year, but not 42%.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Regardless what people think, the world economy is tanked due to a very decrease in population. Also, homelessness in advance countries (economically speaking) is at an all time high. Them people are spending what money they have on booze and maybe drugs.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 07:05 AM
link   
We probably bought about the same amount of stuff, but the cost of nearly everything is up this year. Our dollar is worth less than ever, and inflation is at an all time high.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Yes, record spending, on credit cards. Credit Card companies were very happy this Christmas.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses
Dividing that number by the current US population means that every single person spent about $2600. Including children. Does this square with anyone's reality? I smell BS.

Holiday spending includes food, entertainment, travel, if someone buys a new car during that time i'm pretty sure it's included.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Bank credit cards are the big winners. Free money rolling in.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: rickymouse

I knew we were in trouble as country when my local grocery store started selling gift certificates for groceries.

Wow, I wish I knew they did that. I wonder if the grocery stores here do that. That would be a perfect way to make sure the grandkids do not blow their money on toys. Get five dollar gift certificates so they can come in and buy pop, chips, and candy instead. At least they get exercise walking to the store and maybe they will buy at least one healthy thing. Maybe the stores should make specific coupons, only to be used on produce and fruit.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Good for the corps, bad for the consumers.

I'm sure a good portion of people will feed their materialistic consumer needs by consuming more debt this year adding to their totals from last year, continuing the endless cycle of paying off debt and interest for junk they will forget about or throw away.

posted on Dec, 27 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: eXia7

That is unfortunate. But we're blessed to be in a country where people can shape their own financial future...for better or worse.

new topics

top topics

join