It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is flying a drone while drunk a crime?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
First of it's Christmas in my part of the world so happy holidays to those in my timezone.

Now back to the story, drones can prove to be a hazard, flying one over an airport will get you in big trouble as it could obstruct travel paths. But what if you were in your backyard and your drunk friend said 'hold my beer and watch this' while piloting a drone? from personal experience no good can come using a drone while drunk.

I bought a simple kids drone, nothing fancy, but I decided to give it a test flight while I was as the french call it 'wasted.' It came with an RC that is shaped like a playstation controller, and being a gamer for almost thirty years I thought ' oh yeah I got this'

Less than ten seconds after liftoff I crashed it into a wall-there were no survivors.

On the second attempt I crashed it into my garbage bin, which could be an indication of it's quality.

Third time wasn't the charm, it was nearly a Darwin award as I nearly decapitated myself with it.

This is just a kids toy, the speed of the professional ones can match the speed limit on most suburban roads. What if a drunk droner crashed it, damaging property, injuring neighbors or pedestrians, or a car accident? now most people are responsible, most people. Can you be charged with droning under the influence or is there a similar law that covers the act?

Now if you'll excuse me it's christmas-i'm gonna make the same mistake again so hold my scotch as I crash this toy again.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

It will be a factor when someone gets hurt. Operating equipment while drunk is a crime. Is a drone equipment? I can't hold your scotch. Already double fistin'. Obviously
edit on 25-12-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Merry Jesus Christmas

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Captains' log supplementary-crashed drone again. No reports of damage.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Step away from the controls ....

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Starhooker
Is a drone equipment?

i wouldnt call a drone equipment.

but thats just me

is an electric can opener equipment?

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 09:23 AM
link   

It’s only illegal if you drink while using a drone for work. To legally work flying drones, you have to pass an FAA exam, part 107. If you get caught drinking while working with drones, you are under FAA jurisdiction.

www.cnet.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Ummm...drunk droning...

You should have your license to...exhale carbon dioxide revoked...

Remember...Al Gore stands behind this...

And you should be paddled...publicly...while live streamed...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   

When I became a commercial drone pilot, I had to take 100 hours of flight school.
There is no difference between what an actual airline pilots rules are vs a drone pilot.
I need to be 48 hours alcohol freebefore I can legally operate a drone.

A couple drones I’ve test flown for companies weigh over 200 lbs, without payload.
Some significant damage can be caused from one of these things falling from the sky.

edit on 25-12-2018 by Macenroe82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

The girls got their father a drone for Christmas and I'm afraid that THAT will be the only way it is flown.

He has already put out the word that a young child is needed to teach him how to operate the darn thing (and I thought that I had showed them one that looked easier!).

Luckily, we are moving to a home that has a big prairie and on the side of a hill so, perhaps the damage will not be too significant to anyTHING or the drone itself. It was rather inexpensive so, they won't be out much cash if he wrecks it!

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Doing anything while drunk, if it poses a risk of injury to someone, is a crime. In some states that have adopted the Model Penal Code it is called "reckless endangerment. For example, in Florida," A person commits the crime of reckless endangerment if the person recklessly engages in conduct which creates a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person." Note, it doesn't have to actually injure someone; creating the risk is the crime. In most states it is a misdemeanor unless it involves a deadly weapon. So going outside and firing your Glock in the air to celebrate New Years is a felony. And remember folks, voluntary intoxication is not a defense to anything.

posted on Dec, 25 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   
All my drones cost thousands of dollars. I'm not interested in wrecking them due to being drunk. It's already hard enough to get insurance to cover replacement or repairs. If it was just a cheap toy drone. Sure, why not.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Is that a logical comparison? Nope. It's a tough issue to tackle legally. Someday I think it will be illegal when there's thousands of them above us. I guess it matters what they're being used for. If you need a license to operate one, then there will be laws.

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:23 AM
link   
it SHOULD be - but as very few places in the world manage to legalise against drunks in boats . dont hold your breath

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

My friend got a DUI while riding a jet ski. They're cracking down hard here in Cali. It took people getting hurt or killed to make it a crime. Laws make life safer mostly. Except immigration laws, in some people's minds.
edit on 26-12-2018 by Starhooker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2018 @ 07:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
First of it's Christmas in my part of the world so happy holidays to those in my timezone.

Now back to the story, drones can prove to be a hazard, flying one over an airport will get you in big trouble as it could obstruct travel paths. But what if you were in your backyard and your drunk friend said 'hold my beer and watch this' while piloting a drone? from personal experience no good can come using a drone while drunk.

I bought a simple kids drone, nothing fancy, but I decided to give it a test flight while I was as the french call it 'wasted.' It came with an RC that is shaped like a playstation controller, and being a gamer for almost thirty years I thought ' oh yeah I got this'

Less than ten seconds after liftoff I crashed it into a wall-there were no survivors.

On the second attempt I crashed it into my garbage bin, which could be an indication of it's quality.

Third time wasn't the charm, it was nearly a Darwin award as I nearly decapitated myself with it.

This is just a kids toy, the speed of the professional ones can match the speed limit on most suburban roads. What if a drunk droner crashed it, damaging property, injuring neighbors or pedestrians, or a car accident? now most people are responsible, most people. Can you be charged with droning under the influence or is there a similar law that covers the act?

Now if you'll excuse me it's christmas-i'm gonna make the same mistake again so hold my scotch as I crash this toy again.

It's still considered "DUI"....droning under the influence....or "DWI"...droning while intoxicated.

Stupid as it sounds.....about 99% true!

Always get a "D.D.".....a "designated droner".......

top topics

join