It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States added to list of most dangerous countries for journalists

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Nonsense. Those people were shot by someone pissed off about an article about him. The who premise of this is garbage.

It gets worse, reporters who place themselves in the eye of a natural disaster and end up with trees falling on them are apparently considered "under attack" by this report...

No. The report makes a clear distinction between those who are targeted and those who were killed while reporting.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Well some people are calling journalists traitors and enemies of the people, so it is in realms of possibility they will be targeted by extremists.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Trump has said the MSM Is "Enemy Of The American People."

This fake list is to cover their @$$ for the environment they created, so when the SHTF they can blame it on someone else.... like Trump.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: imitator

I'm only calling it how I see it, people in these boards have been saying it.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
Well some people are calling journalists traitors and enemies of the people, so it is in realms of possibility they will be targeted by extremists.

If you lie and brainwash people by keeping them from learning the truth? Then ya! Speaking for myself, you are my enemy. I hate liars and I especially hate those willing to lie to undermine our Republic. So if any of these so called journalists fit into my description? Yes! They are my enemy!

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If they are allowed to include natural disasters and accidents in a list of countries most dangerous for reporters, the why stop there? Our nation's abortion rate make it seem like it is amazingly dangerous to see a doctor in America... their patient death rate is staggering.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Red herring much?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
After Jared Kushner passed on a hit list to the Saudi Crown Prince to have Khashoggi killed, it is not far off the mark.
Our government engages in secret assassinations and secret trials and anyone that thinks this does not happen lives in denial.
Free country lol.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Red herring much?

The concept of similar equivalencies is alien to you?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: jacobe001
After Jared Kushner passed on a hit list to the Saudi Crown Prince to have Khashoggi killed, it is not far off the mark.
Our government engages in secret assassinations and secret trials and anyone that thinks this does not happen lives in denial.
Free country lol.

Jared Kushner put out the hit on Khashoggi????? Bet your are one of those who bash Alex Jones? Would love to hear the link with Khashoggi's murder and how Kushner is behind it! roflmao

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Dangerous how? Lol 😂 because they get called out on their BS?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

For conservative and conservative journalists alone maybe.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The report does. The NBC article does not. The reason for not including that fact in the article seems political to me.

"The hatred of journalists that is voiced ... by unscrupulous politicians, religious leaders and businessmen has tragic consequences on the ground, and has been reflected in this disturbing increase in violations against journalists," Secretary-General Christophe Deloire said in a statement.

Not a doubt in my mind that's intended to mislead. No politician was responsible for the journalists killed in the US, just a guy angry about an article about him and severe weather. The way it's worded an put together is to give an impression that's not true. No " politicians, religious leaders and businessmen" had a thing to do with the deaths in the US.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

That's a quote from Deloire, isn't it?

Not a doubt in my mind that's intended to mislead
Except that the article says;

Reporters Without Borders said the three most dangerous countries for journalists to work in were Afghanistan, Syria and Mexico.

Meanwhile, the shooting deaths of five employees of the Capital Gazette newspaper in Annapolis, Maryland, in June propelled the United States into the ranks of the most dangerous countries for the first time.

While you seem to see a conflation, I don't. Since it specifies that the US joined the list due to a single incident. An incident which, statistically, put the US on the list.

In any case, I think that the president's incessant haranguing of the press has indeed had an effect on a certain demographic.

edit on 12/21/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Yes it's a quote that was in the first section of the article. We all know that most if not nearly all people only read the first few paragraphs of any article and don't click on the links.

You may disagree, but to me it seems obvious as to their intent in how they wrote the article.

Read this page from the RSF's site.

Unless you go to the report, it gives the wrong impression, again I think it's politically motivated.

The full quote from rsf.org

“Violence against journalists has reached unprecedented levels this year, and the situation is now critical,” RSF Secretary-General Christophe Deloire said. “The hatred of journalists that is voiced, and sometimes very openly proclaimed, by unscrupulous politicians, religious leaders and businessmen has tragic consequences on the ground, and has been reflected in this disturbing increase in violations against journalists.

“Amplified by social networks, which bear heavy responsibility in this regard, these expressions of hatred legitimize violence, thereby undermining journalism, and democracy itself, a bit more every day.”

They even blame people criticizing the media on social networks.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

From what I've seen, social media is more of a scourge when it comes to promoting ignorance (and violence, likely) than any other media. Including Fox.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Which politician or religious leader caused that nutcase to go shoot those newspaper folks? Or was the businessman who ran the paper and published the stories he took exception to?

How is anyone except the guy who pulled the trigger responsible for those deaths? Were his reasons political or religious? I don't remember anyone mentioning him having a religious or political gripe but rather a personal vendetta against the paper's staff.

In any case, I think that the president's incessant haranguing of the press has indeed had an effect on a certain demographic.

No doubt about it, I've seen them in some clips posted on this site. It began the night of the election when they began blubbering like a two year-old who lost his ice cream cone. Grown men and women sitting in front of the camera crying like babies instead of acting like the professionals they pretend to be. They earned every drop of disdain the viewing public has for them.

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Freedom of speech can be a cruel beast, ya?

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Freedom of speech, like in the 1st Amendment? Not really applicable. Platforms (like ATS) have every right to limit content.

But maybe you should tell the president about the 1st Amendment and what it really applies to.
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2018 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

From what I've seen, social media is more of a scourge when it comes to promoting ignorance (and violence, likely) than any other media. Including Fox.

As true as that may be, what is it they want. Censor speech? Silence dissent?

No politician had anything whatsoever to do with journalist deaths in the US. None, so why would any honest person imply they did?

I'm not exactly a fan of our current President myself, but sometimes what's left unsaid is the true message. Even you went that way.

I think that the president's incessant haranguing of the press has indeed had an effect on a certain demographic.

Since nothing he did caused the deaths, why even state that?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join