It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What year is it?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
If we could calculate the approximate time of the big bang, that should be taken as day 0.Probably there was time before that but its still major in galactic scale.

So when alien explorers came and asked us the time we could say something becouse its a major event.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Asking people ta stretch their imaginations, 'n use their minds are ya?

That's well, ‘n fine. However, I was wonder‘n if you could elaborate on your theory of how you would calculate the big bang. I don't think most people could even prove it, let alone calculate when it happened. I do agree that IF it happened, it would be a significant, and scientific, anomaly that would be understood by all intelligent life forms.

Knowing that this was found in the religion section...
I appreciate your willingness, 'n eagerness, ta show your... uh, lack of Region, and urges to start debate. So to stay on Topic, and ta indulge your whelms for debate, I would say...
Religious beliefs aside, sense the Anno Domini is the first significance that can be measured, except maybe publishing of the Bible, 'n unwillingness of the entire world to say "Do-overs, and lets say the world started MAYBE...". I think that it's flattering as a conglomerated society of “The Religious”, ‘n “The Scientific" that we collectively agreed on a point of time as a reference point. Where religion can use it symbolically, and Scientist can simply use it as a reference point. No harm no foul. I think the scientist of that day actually scored a moral point in showing their ability ta allow that day so they could arrive at a reference point.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Other calendars are used by other cultures in the world. For example, the Muslim calendar considers the year 622 A.D. to be the year 1.

from webexhibits.org...
Years are counted since the Hijra, that is, Mohammed's emigration to Medina in AD 622. On 16 July (Julian calendar) of that year, AH 1 started (AH = Anno Hegirae = year of the Hijra).

In the year AD 2003 we have witnessed the start of Islamic year AH 1424.

Note that although only 2003-622=1381 years have passed in the Christian calendar, 1423 years have passed in the Islamic calendar, because its year is consistently shorter (by about 11 days) than the tropical year used by the Christian calendar.

It's pretty much arbitrary when you start a calendar and what kind of timekeeping system you use. Heck, we could count in the number of seconds since Julius Caesar became emperor, if we really wanted to, or in 'stardates' like on star trek :p. It's just that since all our records for centuries have been done in the Gregorian fashion, and our daily time is kept in hours, minutes, and seconds the 60 seconds = 1 minute and 60 minutes = 1 hour comes from ancient Babylonia; they used a sexadecimal system, i.e. based on the number 60) and it would be a royal pain to change everything. I'm sure those of you old enough to remember the worldwide (except for U.S.) metric conversions will attest to that

As to the hypothetical point about everyone going to sleep, all computers losing data, etc, we would still know what time it was when we woke up, at least fairly accurately, even if millions of years had passed. We could track astronomical phenomena or radioactive decay of long-lived isotopes. Sure, we couldn't get it down to the exact second or anything like that, but we could get a very reasonable figure. I suppose if enough time passed and all the radioactive material on earth decayed, and all the stars supernovaed or burned out, and new ones were born, then we might have some troubles, but even then, if we got a massive telescope and looked at the expansion of the universe, we could get an idea of how long it had been by how much it had grown. (assuming it grew at the same rates it does now)

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:40 AM
link   
just wanted to say...
Great Signature!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join