It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What year is it?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Hello everyone, I'm new here to ATS but I have been viewing this great site for probably about 6 months now. I love this site & I visit it everyday, everything on here is so interesting and thought provoking, it's great! So I just plucked up the courage to become a member a few minutes ago.

Anyway, onto my post. I do alot of thinking about stuff because I have way too much time on my hands, I'm a lazy university student. I was standing at my doorway having a cigarette (where I do most of my thinking) & something occured to me (don't get your hopes up 'cause it's nothing special), have you ever thought about how it's not really the year 2005? The Earth and the Universe are billions of years old, so how can it be the year 2005?

It's only the year 2005 according to christianity, obviously because it's 2005 AD, after the death of Christ. So what year is it according to other religions? It can't be the year 2005 to other religions, because it is only the year 2005 according to christians beliefs. Really, it should be the year 5 billion or something like that, however old the Earth or Universe is.

Oh, also, when will we start again? Which person will be important enough so that when he/she dies we start our calender again, for example, when Tony Blair dies, the whole world would recognise the year as being 1 AB (After Blair).

I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this to be honest, but it was just something I was thinking about. Maybe you guys could have a discussion or healthy debate about this, I don't know.

It's not 2005...is it?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Go here

www.infoplease.com...

It will answer all your questions

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Thankyou sensfan I appreciate that very much. I can understand the concept of the calender systems alot more now, but, lets just say I was filling in some sort of application form, today is 26th feb 2005, however if I wrote down that the date is 72nd of Greguary 16236 & they said that that date is wrong, I could say no it's not because according to the calender I use it is the 72nd of Greguary 16236, and they could not dispute that. And the same could apply to anything.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It's a different year in different cultures because chronological time is an invention.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Time doesn't exist unless you observe it...

The time is ALWAYS now... IT never changes... other things do.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Do to the de-christianization of the world and our culture, the new termanology is BCE and CE.

BCE is Before Common Era

CE is Comman Era.

The year currently is 2005 C.E.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah it all makes sense, thankyou for your input, I appreciate it. can see now that this was a pretty dumb first post by me, but nevermind, it was just a thought.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:22 PM
link   
perhaps we should develop a more equitable calendar? There are numerous models for calendars which do divide evenly without the annoying leap years. But the question would arise as to what the "starting point" or year 1 would be. I propose that the starting point should be the year when man first landed on the moon. That is the year when human kind truly entered the space age and made it's first inroads at becoming an intergalactic entity.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Time does not exist...?

the best to tell time is through frequency reading...of something...

For example, the earth frequency or biorythm is now fibrating faster than the before...

for example, to time travel the earth past, one would have create some kind of device that resonate with the previous Earth frequences band...

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Time is how we measure the speed at which the earth rotates on its axis
( 24 hour day), the speed at which it rotates around the sun ( 365 day year), and the rate at which the earth completes one revolution through the zodiacal constellations (26,000 years roughly, which was how ancient cultures measured). PIck and choose any starting point, it doesnt matter.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
isnt this year 5756 CE this year

[edit on 26/2/2005 by drbryankkruta]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by toolmaker

Time is how we measure the speed at which the earth rotates on its axis
( 24 hour day), the speed at which it rotates around the sun ( 365 day year), and the rate at which the earth completes one revolution through the zodiacal constellations (26,000 years roughly, which was how ancient cultures measured). Pick and choose any starting point, it doesnt matter.

That is the thing that always bugged me about the Solar (is that what it is called?) calender. It is so imprecise! Since it takes 365.25 days for the earth to complete 1 revolution around the sun, we have this thing called a leap year, every 4 years there is an extra day, to balance things out. Added to that the fact that months can be 28,29,30 or 31 days long, you will realise why to this day I still have to stop and think to be able to tell all the months in order, and I have to look up a calender to tell how many days each month has. There is some weird nursery rhyme that helps you remember, apparently I skipped that in my education
. You could even include the fact that there are days of the week as well, and these rarely divide easily into the months of the year.
Maybe we should design a new calender? I doubt it would be used, even if it were devised though. It seems so much trouble to change everything ALL OVER AGAIN.

Its Anno Domino (I think that is how it is spelt), Krahzeef. I believe it means "In the Year of our Lord"

[edit on 27-2-2005 by babloyi]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Sorry but nothing annoys me more than people not understanding AD.

AD is anti domino or something not after death, If it was after death there'd be 30 or so years unaccounted for.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 07:47 AM
link   
AD stands for Anno Domini or Year of our Lord referring to the year of Christ’s birth. BC stands for Before Christ.

CE is a recent term devised to fit with to solve the year 0 problem. It refers to Common Era and is used in place of A.D. BCE refers to Before Common Era.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 08:00 AM
link   
If mankind did not "observe" time, it still exists, it still happens, it still passes! The passing from season to season is time, the ageing of from infant to death of any animal is time, from ice age to it's end is time passing.....just because there would be no "name" for it doesn't stop it from being

Here's a three page thread on time
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2/27/2005 by LadyV]

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyiThere is some weird nursery rhyme that helps you remember, apparently I skipped that in my education
That jogged my memory:

30 days has september, April, June and November,
all the rest have 31 days except February alone
which has 28 days, and 29 in each leap year.

That is the one I was taught. There is also the knuckle method which was explained to me once and has to so with the knuckles representing the 31 day months while the indents represent the others, or something like that.

There actually is a group of scholars who have been working on revamping the calendar.

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
If mankind did not "observe" time, it still exists, it still happens, it still passes! The passing from season to season is time, the ageing of from infant to death of any animal is time, from ice age to it's end is time passing.....just because there would be no "name" for it doesn't stop it from being

I partially agree. "Time" in the physical sense occurs without observation. However, "time" in the physical sense does not pass without observation. *Points to universal entropy www.entropylaw.com...*

Time is the level of disorder, or chaos, in the universe. The more chaos, the "later" it is in time. Chaos continues to increase even without human observance.

The invention of "time" is not an idea related to physics (IMO). It is purely philosophical. Humans invented our own idea of "time". We use it to measure the passing of events relative to all other events. The universe physically has its own idea of "time" which is the above stated entropy.

[edit on 27-2-2005 by iceofspades]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   
TheDaddy, I believe I understand what you are talk'n ‘bout. I too had a revelation close ta yours, but I was stand’n ‘round a campfire, gaz’n at the stars.

If the entire world fell asleep, all calendars lost, all computers lost their memory, ‘n we were to awake... how would we know what year it is?

We would instantly know, whether it was day, or night, ‘n be close in the season. We could measure the days ‘n find the longest, ‘n shortest days, we could find the solstices. In find’n the solstices, we should be able to map out all of the days in a year. I would think that after several years, we would be able to find which year was leap year as well (Just like they have done in the past, to get us our calendar that we have now.)
I would imagine that we could track traditional comets (i.e. Hailey’s comet) ‘n we could know which sections of centuries we would be in. I suppose that we should be able to track the revolutions of the Spiral Galaxy that we are in, ‘n could make our reference point from that periodical event... (i.e. 24hours/day 7days/week 52weeks/year 100years/century xxcentury/CO_Cowboy (if I really did figure someth’n out, shouldn't it be nam’d after me?
))

In short (yea right), I believe that the historical point of Anno Domini was a simple (I mean easy), reference point. In my quest of this revelation I have found that MANY people do believe that we really aren’t in 2005, as in the short time (approximately 500-600 years) of/after Jesus’ birth, records weren't really well kept. In fact wasn't the Bible the first publish’d article, ‘n not until... uh I don't know 1300's someth’n. Do we know at what age Jesus died at? I thought that fact was fuzzy, so I'm think'n there could be some years that aren’t account’d for.

Well those are my thoughts anyway.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheDaddy
Thankyou sensfan I appreciate that very much. I can understand the concept of the calender systems alot more now, but, lets just say I was filling in some sort of application form, today is 26th feb 2005, however if I wrote down that the date is 72nd of Greguary 16236 & they said that that date is wrong, I could say no it's not because according to the calender I use it is the 72nd of Greguary 16236, and they could not dispute that. And the same could apply to anything.

and what would you gain from that, except aggravating someone who is just trying to do their job and go home ?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
To say what year it actually is?

In the time continuum time is now, then, and the future. It all evolves together.

Time is a dimension. If one only knew how many things are going on around them right now they would be amazed. Years, months, eons, all revolve during the same time. It is a matter of the speed of light. The energy force of the universe, and of course, part of God.

If one was able to harness light one could travel to wherever, whenever at any time.

Einstein was the first to discover this, and so far his "theory" holds truth.

Time at one time was not considered a dimension. Now it is considered one.

One day man will find out how to harness the energy for time travel. That is if we haven't destroyed ourselves during this "time period", or perhaps we already have and just haven't gotten there yet.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join