It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has your real estate gone up or down?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Just curious, has your real estate gone up or down this fall?

I noticed that our is continuing to go up, way up. (Midwest) which seems odd to me.

I talked to my parents that live in the Seattle area and they said inventory is up and prices are cooling for the first time in a long time.

I've noticed interest rates seem to be creeping up too, so I wonder if people are trying to hurry up and buy here (less inventory?)

We all know what is going to happen from here. Rates up, prices down...

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

My property value has skyrocketed in the last 2 years or so. Up over 30% based upon recent sales. I am not certain why, but I’m not looking to move so it doesn’t really do anything for me one way or the other.

edit on 2018/12/12 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Houses are selling fast here in northern Indiana and I think people are overpaying.
It does seem to be leveling off.
My tax assessment has been pretty flat for several years which is great for me.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

My property value has skyrocketed in the last 2 years or so. Up over 30% based upon recent sales. I am not certain why, but I’m not looking to move so it doesn’t really do anything for me one way or the other.

Ok that is interesting, mine is up 30% in a little over 2 years.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Houses are selling fast here in northern Indiana and I think people are overpaying.
It does seem to be leveling off.
My tax assessment has been pretty flat for several years which is great for me.

You're getting people fleeing from Illinois, Indiana probably seems like such a deal compared to what they are coming from

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Unfortunately, we had a house built last spring (2017), so we bought in at a bit of the higher pricing that had started. We still have new homes being built around us, but I do know that the base value of the homes have increased as they continued building in the area, and they are still selling homes.

What percentage, though, I don't know for sure.

While I know that Zillow is a terrible way to assume home value, it's showing my home to be about $35K above what we paid less than two years ago, which equates to a value about 117% higher than what we paid (which is a decent increase, if accurate).

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Both...have 3 properties.

Wife has log cabin cottage from family in Huron National Forest along Au Sable river. In 10 yrs, it's tripled, taxes-dbl'd.

2-Dearborn, Mi suburb, west side homes. 1-dbl lot 3 bedroom, dropped in half in 10 yrs, then back up + like 25% higher than in 2010...taxes stayed comparable to then in both summer and winter taxes.

3 blocks over...2nd- 3 bedroom, brick bungalow stayed the same for the last few years, up a little...taxes stayed around the same.

Wife is better w this stuff than I am...but all 3 properties are paid for...it's the taxes that go up. I just put the $ in the banks, she pays stuff...and I just don't wanna know...always stressed me out...

Got better a few yrs back after the market tanked a bit....
edit on 12-12-2018 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 04:04 PM
link   

My residence is up, commercial property is way up, farm acreage is down.

I'm tempted to sell out and move.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Northeast newengland - I sold my property just before the 2016 election, thinking Clinton was going to win and start WWIII with russia. Was time to get out of the city anyway, but I did rush some of the work and left a full year earlier than I wanted.

Had made decent gains from all the work I put into it, but since I've left the property has appreciated. The housing bubble that was expected to burst last year is still growing, depsite everyone involved knowing that the longer they let it continue the worse it will be when it pops.

I purchased land (undeveloped) about a year ago- no idea what it's worth now, but I'd be curious to find out.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Ours went up 30 percent but its paid for. So it can go up or down it won't matter except for the taxes which suck either way you look at it. The taxes did go up but not as much as I thought they would. But they went up so that sucks.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Not sure about the percentage here, but I know that houses around our country mile are selling at STUPID high prices. A ranch home, with a couple acres, just sold for over 200,000.00 around the corner. That's probably 50, to 75 thousand more than it would have went for a couple years ago.
Hell, our next door neighbors bought the place two years ago, two story, with a huge pole barn, 2 acres, for 146,000.

We aren't planning on going anywhere, just waiting for the taxes to go up because of the riduculous prices people are paying.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 06:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

How much tax do you have pay on your property per year, and I take its a tax you pay to local government ?

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Northern California here.

Home purchased start of 2012 (We Lived!!!!)

Per Trulia, home value has increased just over 228% in the last (almost) 7 years.

Thanks to Proposition 13, passed years ago, my property taxes are about $1400 per year.

posted on Dec, 12 2018 @ 08:05 PM
link   
We don't own, we rent, but I do keep track of house prices in the neighborhood (if we were to buy, we'd like to stay right here, good neighborhood)

When we moved in at the end of 2014, houses in the neighborhood were going for around $80k, and now, double to triple that. There's one house in the neighborhood that was sort of a harbinger for everything else, a dinky little 2 bedroom, 1 bath on a half acre, flippers bought it put a smidgen of aesthetic work into it, and immediately tried to sell it again for more than double the $75k they paid. Everyone laughed their asses off around here at the notion, and it eventually was taken off the market after no bites.

Then it went back on the market later in the year for the same price, and sold within days. People were dumbfounded.

After that, prices kept climbing and climbing and houses started selling at quicker and quicker rates. It got to the point where a house was for sale not 2 days before it sold, 3 on my street sold in under a week after being listed and one was a 2-dayer.
I think they've (prices and fervor) leveled off for now, they seem to have peaked, and some prices are dropping slightly even.

I'll keep monitoring throughout next year, the bubble has to burst at some point. It might be a seller's market now, but as the old saying goes, "all good things come to an end."

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Mine has gone up by about 5% in the past year.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Zillow isn't terrible, at least where I live, it's almost dead on every time. In fact I got the full listing price which my agent said I should list at after looking at comps and doing that stuff, which came out to the exact price zillow had.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I'm not sure the wife takes care of that. If I were to guess I would say less than 4000 but I'm not really a good guesser. I know we didn't pay that much for the house back in the 80s. It's in a nice neighborhood. I'll ask the wife.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Look it up on zillow.com

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I don't know how it works in the US but here I pay rates for my land but not tax, well unless I owned multiple properties that is. I appreciate the reply, I was just surprised at the tax, seems a little unfair to be taxed for owning land.

posted on Dec, 13 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

yeah, it can be good sometimes, but my mom is a Realtor, and Zillow can be quite a ways off in many locations. The only true indicator of the value of a home is what is actually sells for. If we're not selling our home, we'll never know, so Zillow is good for a decent ballpark in those instances.

new topics

top topics

join