It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automation will continue to displace workers on a global scale

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: harold223

It doesn't have to. It only has to work locally. Bob keeps bees. Sally has flowers and herds to make teas. Bob's bees make honey from Sally's flowers and herbs. They trade back and forth. Others can pay for their goods or learn how to produce things Bob and Sally want, and so it goes ...

Pretty soon you have an economy operating independent of the so-called robo-economy.

What becomes of the "robots economy" and how does that function as a free market entity? Uncharted territory I think.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wildbob77
I read one article that said we will lose 50% of unskilled jobs in the next 20 years.

Imagine, you go into a fast food place. You place your order on your smart phone before you go, then you scan your phone when you arrive and your food, freshly prepared, slides down a chute to you.

The only people at the store will be those that maintain the robot cooker and move bulk food items to where they need to be.

Say goodby to your fast food career.

obviously a bunch of you didn't even read the OP, I'll wait

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

exactly, uncharted territory. automation will replace tens of millions of jobs

the machines will build the machines just like the machines are creating the shoes and cars already
edit on 6-12-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Everyone just presumes that the robot economy will produce standardized goods for all, or at least, that seems to be the gist of most of these threads. So many will be out of work that, whatever the robots make will just be equitably distributed for free to all.

Which is why I think an alternate artisan economy would spring up. The artisans will be producing the things of actual value. They will become the new "haves" in such a society.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

equitably distributed for free to all.

hmmm, that sounds unlikely due to the fact that people with power will lose that power, then what? what happens when only let's say 10% of the world's population is needed to maintain the productive capacity of the other 90%?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I wonder if there will ever be any more use for the people at the top of totem pole once automation and a.i take over.

How are sheeple supposed to spend their time, blood an sweat and willingly enslave themselves to impluse.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Specimen

AI really is

if =
print('AI isn't really intelligent')
elif =
print('it's just a bunch of if statements with a billion variables and functions')

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Yeah,

Not buying it. Automation was going to take over everything in the 80's and 90's as well.

I work for a technology company, the more automation the more fall-out.

If automation is going to put so many people out of work, why do we need to flood our workforces with cheap migrant labor? Why do we need all of these H-1B visa's for Asian tech labor?
edit on 6-12-2018 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

do we need to flood our workforce with cheap labor?

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

www.knapp.com...
www.symbotic.com...
emerj.com...

not only is manufacturing being streamlined and automate, the entire supply chain is entering automation. it's happening all around you

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
not to mention the continual contribution to the fast-spreading ecocide

as is, the industrial and techno-industrial systems have already had a huge impact on the destruction of natural sources due to mining etc... automation will increase that, and place us further into a dystopian technocratic authoritarianism

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

It doesn't have to. It only has to work locally. Bob keeps bees. Sally has flowers and herds to make teas. Bob's bees make honey from Sally's flowers and herbs. They trade back and forth. Others can pay for their goods or learn how to produce things Bob and Sally want, and so it goes ...

Pretty soon you have an economy operating independent of the so-called robo-economy.

I think this is an interesting point.
Some villages/towns in the UK have already created their own currency to entice people to shop locally.

There are also websites where you can trade your service/goods for someone else's service/goods.
Just like the (good) old days!

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Marxism fits perfectly into the AI and automation model very nice. Laugh and poke fun at the idea now, but you'll see.
Even at my work we just bought a machine that will render small projects down to a crew of just 5 people, where as you needed a almost 20 workers to do those jobs efficiently before.

Marx envisioned a work force that could choose their passions instead of being forced to just work for a living, contribute what you enjoy to a society based off your interests, and yes it fits within capitalism as well, because it creates healthy competition.
This is becoming more and more of a thing now days, just look at he modern office environment it's more of a hangout spot for like minded people than an office, even skilled trades are becoming less of something you do just because, people do it because they enjoy it and more and more intelligent people are joining the ranks. I've seen it time and time again, more educated trades people are filling jobs.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Real artificial intelligence doom!

We are rapidly approaching a point when automation, artificial intelligence and robotics can do almost anything human workers can do, inexpensively, more efficiently, increasing productivity and profits so much that it is becoming an irresistible option for employers everywhere.

HBO had a documentary on recently about this and it was fascinating also somewhat alarming how rapidly this is already happening while most people seem unaware. One interesting segment showed how this guy overwhelmed with work, created a computer program that could create legal documents in seconds that in some cases would take a human hours to create, it was so good at it he didn't have to do much work and had free time for other things. But someday, this kind of program could put a lot of people out of work. It was just an example, even the service sectors (where most people are employed now) is moving towards machines, and automation.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
T

CMS Newswire

And no, this isn't creating jobs at the pace it's replacing them NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

If you can show where the jobs are being create to replace them with actual data I'll listen to that argument.

So what are we going to do?

You don’t need data to know it is creating new jobs. People still have to do so much in the automation process. Have you ever worked in an automation factory? I have! I worked there before automation and after. Some jobs were lost but others gained. People simply have to be around to oversee the machines. They break down. A lot. Jobs are created because PEOPLE have to design and build the parts that make up the automation machines, then build, maintain, repair, and run them. The machines don’t update themselves when products change. They don’t load themselves with components or fix themselves when they break down.

It’s not doing the same job with less people, it’s creating more product with the same amount of people.

edit on 7-12-2018 by gr8skott because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
long read but worth it,

something happened to me last night. it robbed me of some sleep and it took my morning (i had things to do today, darnit). it was so bad that i had to go back to sleep with a light on.

i was concerned with HOW did that happen?! i couldn't take my mind away from technology. i felt that what had happened most likely involved technology somehow.

i was sleeping but beginning to stir so that i was very minimally conscious. i was looking for something inside but it wasn't dreaming. i was just thinking but starting to wake up from it.

from deep inside i felt something emerge and with a loudness the message jolted me fully awake...

"IIIII'M DEEEAD"

the sound was scary and not human. it sounded artificial and it had a guttural tone.

i tried going back to sleep but there was something present on the inside. it showed me images of a new construction site in my neighborhood; a black car in an empty parking lot sitting in front of what looked like a solar panel. then it showed me somebody's feet, wearing black boots. whatever it was inside, it kept casting a thick black shadow as it seemed to pace back and forth inside of my temple (mind).

between last night and this morning, i remembered some other weirdo things that have happened to me over the years. there's always this sense that TECHNOLOGY is involved in this unnatural phenomenon. this isn't spirituality. it's almost as if technology has invaded the body of life and has gotten deep inside of us and is able to function in us as if we were computers or machines through which this bizarre unnatural life force operates.

"i'm dead"

i am not the only person i know who has been recently complaining of feeling dead but what came through last night wasn't me. there was something very distinctly foreign, unnatural and not human about it.

perhaps technology has consumed all life and has taken over, total possession and control, and we cannot prevail against it. we cannot guide or direct it, we cannot inform or program it. and we cannot protect ourselves from IT doing all of that to US.

posted on Dec, 7 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The sex industry is developing robots, but many customers will insist on the real feel. Latex and silicon can only go so far, real flesh will be a high priced commodity when sex bots are working the brothels IMO.

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I could see selling "shares" in a robot, to the workers who are displaced by it. Turn the unemployed into capitalists, to the point where they'd welcome the robot as liberator. The retiree gets a port in of the robots pay check. So he or she can afford the factory's product, and leisure time to enjoy it.

The other possibility is we live in mud huts on the edge of commercial areas, re-homesteading in the vacant city cores, trading with humans because we have no money
edit on 8-12-2018 by Graysen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Yeah, But, There's the second hand market !!

Seriously though as technology grows so will peoples minds, The technical type like myself will look for Bargains so to speak

And will home build there own Female/Male concubines to suit there tastes and desires.

And the beauty is control alt delete,

Fox

MGTOW !

posted on Dec, 8 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: Specimen

AI really is

if =
print('AI isn't really intelligent')
elif =
print('it's just a bunch of if statements with a billion variables and functions')

You're joking right?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join