It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Part of Southern California and Baja California to become an Island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Considering the Pacific plate is moving to the NW at around 4 inch's per year and the location of the plate boundary it's pretty much fact that it's going to happen .

But how long do we have ?
Is it going to be gradual or is the San Andres going to rip apart in one big Quake ?
Is the pacific plate rotating counter clockwise or heading directly NW ?

What's your thoughts what would it take for one big slip of the plate?

All I know is I'm glad I'm planning on getting out of here In a year or so .

edit on 12/5/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/5/2018 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Sweet

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:41 PM
link   

California will never separate from North America. Its what called a slip fault meaning two plates roughly moving perpendicular to each other. California well part of it is currently heading towards Alaska. So eventually the California coast will be off Washington state. and that coastline will disappear so if you own beachfront property in Washington enjoy you only have about 10 billion years

Oh and eventually the North American plate steals part of Asia.

edit on 12/5/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

So you don't think it's possible for the San Andres to cause that little sliver of So Cal to separate ?

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

California will never separate from North America. Its what called a slip fault meaning two plates roughly moving perpendicular to each other. California well part of it is currently heading towards Alaska. So eventually the California coast will be off Washington state. and that coastline will disappear so if you own beachfront property in Washington enjoy you only have about 10 billion years

Oh and eventually the North American plate steals part of Asia.

According to this vid, its looking like Baja will become the flaccid penis of the Northwest in about 50 million years. Oh to be a middle school kid in another 50 million years

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
This is kinda like worrying about Andromeda colliding with the Milky Way. That is also going to happen... a really long time from now. Makes my original idea that 'eternal life would be a good idea' kind of a waste of time. Sucks for Highlanders. Floating around in galaxy destruction for all eternity with no one else to sword fight with? Now there's a hell we can all believe in.

posted on Dec, 5 2018 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
a reply to: dragonridr

So you don't think it's possible for the San Andres to cause that little sliver of So Cal to separate ?

It is not possible. Southern California will actually gain land. The mythology surrounding the other is a product of science fiction.

I'm sure there are many sources of information on that with a search.

posted on Dec, 6 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91
Considering the Pacific plate is moving to the NW at around 4 inch's per year and the location of the plate boundary it's pretty much fact that it's going to happen .
I'm not sure what makes you think that. Here are projections the NY times published for 25 and 50 million years out which may be somewhat realistic since it's just projecting continuation of the present motions where the baja peninsula moves up the west coast almost as fast as your fingernails grow, not quite that fast though. There's another projection 250 million years out but it's a lot of guesswork. By then we might have another pangea where the real threat will be to the atlantic coast which may lose all beachfront property after the Atlantic ocean disappears.

www.nytimes.com...

Here's the pangaea projection 250 million years out:

www.lakepowell.net...

top topics

join