It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Judge Orders Feeding Tube to Be Removed

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'll ask this here too.

Who is it that takes care of the woman? Her parents

Who sees her at hollidays? Her parents

Who never pays attention to her or goes to see her? Her husband.If you ask me he just wants her out of the picture.period.

If her parents take care for her why wouldnt their wishes be granted?

I'm telling you, life in the United States is totally different than anywhere else in the world. No other place on earth would or could this crap go on.

Something else gets politicised. The sweet land of liberty is mad.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
The several million figure came from a TV source who would not confirm the figure, but did say that it was more than a million. I probably should have just said a substantial sum.

There really are a lot of unanswered questions about this case. Terri wasn't trying to kill herself outright, but her behavior was suicidal in nature.
[edit on 05/2/26 by GradyPhilpott]

So based on unconfirmed sources you are still saying she had suicidal tendancies?

Here from CNN

Schiavo suffered brain damage in 1990 when she collapsed from heart failure. She recovered from the heart attack, but oxygen was cut off to her brain, leaving her in what doctors call a "persistent vegetative state." She is responsive to stimuli, doctors have said, but has no significant brain function and cannot feed herself.

www.cnn.com...

kindly note no mention of anything other then a heart condition. My guess is the media was as usual speculating, nothing more.

[edit on 2/26/2005 by shots]

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I'm telling you, life in the United States is totally different than anywhere else in the world. No other place on earth would or could this crap go on.

Something else gets politicised. The sweet land of liberty is mad.

So there you have it. A liberal speaks. This is not a politically partisan, bi-polar issue. Case closed.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
[So based on unconfirmed sources you are still saying she had suicidal tendancies?

NO! The circumstances involving her injury are documented, though not well known to the public due to the feeding tube issue. Her bulimia problem was a part of the lawsuit. The husband blamed the doctors for not diagnosing her problem.

AND I did not say she had suicidal tendencies. I said compulsive purging is a suicidal behavior, just like compulsive drinking or even cigarette smoking, because the risks of such behavior are so high and so generally recognized.

Are you looking for fight or did you just get up on the wrong side of the bed?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   

So there you have it. A liberal speaks. This is not a politically partisan, bi-polar issue. Case closed.

Liberal

Surely you jest?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
shots

I was referring to dgtempe's post. I didn't quote her, as I thought my post would come up after hers. I edited the post for clarity.

Can you say benzodiazepine?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Today is not the day to mess around with dgtempe. thank you.

Evidently you cant bring yourself to answer a question i asked because i'm a liberal, huh?

Its ok i have other sources of information. Who wants to get dissinformation anyways?

Have a nice day.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I'm on your side here, dgtempe. The answers to your questions are self-evident. As long as there is someone, especially family, who is willing to care for Terri, they should be allowed to do so.

Boy. I think everyone here is suffering from lack of oxygen to the brain.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I hear you Grady.

I think i'm in total shock that we agree. Yes, Im a liberal and I agree with GRADY.

Pardon my lack of oxygen to the brain also.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Terri giggles and laughs appropriately. It takes an aware human being to do this.

This is no 'vegetable'. Look at her hands move, hear her respond with a little 'yeh' in agreement with what her dad says. Terrie has 'acquired cerebral palsy' and reminds me very much of my cousin Fredine who was born 69 years ago with 'spastic paralysis', better know as 'cerebral palsy'.... Fredine is as intelligent as you or I. With therapy, she learned to walk, and how to control and relax her muscles more easily. She went to school with me, in a grade ahead. Hard to understand sometimes, but with patience and practice, you know what she is saying. Fredine has contributed a lot to her family's enjoyment and enjoys life herself, as would Terri with the proper therapy.

Terri CAN get better! Dr. Hammesfahr, the Nobel Prize candidate for his work with the brain injured has examined her and declared so. Other physicians have also examined her and know that she can improve with therapy - the therapy which has been wrongly denied her. However, Judge Greer and George Felos do not want to admit this in court. Judge Greer is ignoring the truth. And so is the mainstream media until now.

Terri has always had very poor eyesight, even before the damaging incident. Just because she can't recognize people until they are literally in her face, does not mean she's not aware, has feelings, enjoys life, music, pets, her family's comforting words, her pastor praying with her.

from www.rense.com

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Terri CAN get better! Dr. Hammesfahr, the Nobel Prize candidate for his work with the brain injured has examined her and declared so.

Hmmm no doubt his interest as with academic medical types is research pure and simple he is looking at grants and the like and she is a ways to a means. Plus who does not like the publicity?

At anyrate, why are the parents even involved in this at all? As a husband under the laws of this country he can make medical decision for her not her parents unless he gives up this right. PERIOD.

Defence of marriage act indeed (just so long as it passes a religious/political litmus test) :shk:

The parents are not taking care of her, the state of Florida is. How long would that last if they had to foot the bill? The parents have offered to take care of her so why does the husband simply give up? Because perhaps he is telling the truth after all. You are so quick to condem a man you ALL know nothing about nor could any of understand what he is going through :shk:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Are you looking for fight or did you just get up on the wrong side of the bed?

Absolutely not. I guess we will have to agree that we disagree on this issue. However, do keep in mind you stated you did not have any links confirming what you said, therefore all I have is your word.

You might be right, but then you may be wrong, I do not know without anything to back up what you say.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well Fred, its the parents who visit her, and its the parents who have been giving her the moral support. I'd say its the parents who take "care" of her and not her so called husband.

If (God forbid) something horrible were to happen to me I'd expect "the hubby" to deal with it and not kill me by way of starvation, or other means.

My nephew drowned in Cape Cod on an outing with my kids, Fred. His mother cried and cried and said :" God even if he's a vegetable let him live"
As it turned out, it was not Gods will for him to live. I do not agree with you, Fred. Where there is life there is hope.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

You are so quick to condem a man you ALL know nothing about nor could any of understand what he is going through :shk:

What is he going thru, Fred?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
with all the doctor/hospital and lawyer bills, I doubt whether anyone would financially benefit from Terri Schiavo's death. I honestly feel in my heart that her husband is doing what he thinks Terri would have wanted and is looking out for her interest. I think her parents are just being parents and are unwilling to give up their daughter, no parent wants to outlive their child.

I agree with the judge's decision to have the tube removed. You have to think that this woman would have long been dead if it wasn't for tubes keeping her alive. On a tangent, pro-life supporters say that pro choicers are playing God by allowing abortions, but aren't we playing God again when we hook people up to machines to keep them alive?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
On a tangent, pro-life supporters say that pro choicers are playing God by allowing abortions, but aren't we playing God again when we hook people up to machines to keep them alive?

I heard that her actions were sucidial and that she was bulimic, which is very prominent among Western countries.

It is possible that she is in her current state, because of the eating disorder, which could be attributed to the society's obsession with looking thin, so shouldn't we keep her alive, because society screwed her in the first place?

All those machines were invented in the first place to help us, to give us advantage to survive and reproduce, so why not take full use of it.

In my mind, this is no different than orangutans taking advantage from the drought, which caused the gorillas to die off, therefore giving the orguatans advantage to reach the food source first and therefore evolve into something eventually, which we call humans.

Surf

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   
surf her being bulimic or whatever tendencies she had in the past has nothing to do with this. Why is it so hard to believe that her husband has her best interests in mind?

I'll state this again to anyone who ever worries about death, make a living will, give it to those important to you, make your decision for yourself and take the burden off of your loved ones. I made mines, my husband knows I don't my body to be kept alive, when the real me is no longer there. He knew that before my mother even did and if it was me in this situation, I would want my husband to win too.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
However, do keep in mind you stated you did not have any links confirming what you said, therefore all I have is your word.

You might be right, but then you may be wrong, I do not know without anything to back up what you say.

Cause of Schiavo's condition in dispute

The Associated Press

TAMPA, Fla. —
Before she was the brain-damaged patient in a legal dispute over whether she should live or die, Terri Schiavo was a young woman who desperately wanted to be thin.

At age 26, she was strikingly beautiful, with delicate features. But she had spent her childhood and high school years as a chubby and shy girl, standing just 5 feet 3 and weighing 200 pounds at her heaviest.

When she lost 65 pounds in her late teens, men started to pay attention — including one who would become her husband, Michael Schiavo.

But keeping the weight off was a struggle for Terri Schiavo, and years later — after her heart stopped briefly, cutting off oxygen to the brain — a malpractice case brought against a doctor on her behalf would reveal she had been trying to survive on liquids and was making herself throw up after meals. The Schiavos' attorney said her 1990 collapse was caused by a potassium imbalance brought on by an eating disorder.

It is a cruel twist lost on no one close to the case: A woman who is said to have struggled with an eating disorder is now in the middle of a court battle over whether her feeding tube should be removed so she can starve to death.

[...]

The jury put the damages at $6.8 million but reduced the verdict to about $2 million because it thought Terri Schiavo was partly at fault for her collapse.

www.kansascity.com...

Good enough?

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
I'll state this again to anyone who ever worries about death, make a living will, give it to those important to you, make your decision for yourself and take the burden off of your loved ones. I made mines, my husband knows I don't my body to be kept alive, when the real me is no longer there. He knew that before my mother even did and if it was me in this situation, I would want my husband to win too.

Good Advice. We have had ours made out for years more then likely the same as yours Think of the burden it might put on a husband or wife. Also keep in mind if it is the husband/wife she/he will have to pay for all the medical care needed in the long run (assuming there is no lawsuit) leaving the other with nothing in the end.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

You are so quick to condem a man you ALL know nothing about nor could any of understand what he is going through :shk:

What is he going thru, Fred?

Oh quoting malfunction

To be honest why knows? But many of you are painting a picture of him as some sort of greedy monster based on the hype comming from others. Honestly does anybody in this debate actually know the man or what he is going through?

All through this debate I have heard about the courageous family fighting the evil man who wants her dead. Dramatic yes, but thats how this is getting spun

[edit on 2/26/05 by FredT]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join