It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comp. Hacking's on 7/6 landing Hackers jobs in the government?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I have noticed that throughout the years there have been a significant amount of Internet Hackers sending viruses and things. The thing i've noticed though, is that these hackers are not punished... but rewarded with government jobs. The hacker that started the "I Love You" virus that made tens of thousands of computers to crash landed a job for the US government. Take a wild guess on what you think he's working with now. It's a no brainer huh? The government hires these hackers because they know how to think like a criminal and they know how to hack into things, and send viruses. If we needed to get all of Iraq's computers to crash... who do we send in? A hacker. Now I'm not talking about all hackers. I'm only talking about the hackers that do the most damage. people that do less damage to computers around the country end up in jail or with fines. I don't understand this. I think that if the hacker is going to do something like infect thousands of computers with viruses they should serve some time before they get the job.

[Edited on 5-7-2003 by GiantsFan]

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 05:18 PM
link   
My dad is in the Military and he works with computers. NBow he worked with a guy that went to Harvard or some high-class college like that. He was making straight A+'s and nobody knew why. They found out that he hacked through 4 firewalls into the main computer and was stealing answers and term papers and things. They kicked him out... but guess what? The local military base sent a request asking him to join the army, and work with computers. I thought this guy was awesome. He got me all these burned DVD's and Music CD's. the thing about it though, is that this happened before they had DVD burners, and the music CD contained 600 songs. he compacted the software for all the songs and put them on there. Don't know how but he did. Also, he made movies by compacting them into a zip file, unzipping it to make it some other kind of program, made it an unzip file and burned it to a CD. The quality is as if I just rented it from HollyWood video. that was all easy for him too. He can do some pretty complicated stuff I don't think I'll ever be able to do.

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The audio CD could have been in MP3 format, while the movie could have been re-encoded using XVID or DIVX...

posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 07:58 PM
link   
yeah... I use DivX... but the music is in some other kind of format. Not MP3

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I know what you are saying. I don't agree that they should serve time but nonetheless I know what you are saying. My friend Ben went through the same thing. I guess he was one of the better ones. Cause he didn't go to jail. In fact within three hours of his arrest he was able to go back to his normal life. (Without a computer that is.)

So let me ask you this:

Why do you think they should serve time???

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of them being used???

By the time they got out their services would no longer be needed. Am I right or I am wrong???

This computer hacking is a fast paced industry and there can be no time for goofing off. I learned that quite well when I would come around Ben's home and ask him a question and 30 minutes later he would respond, "I sorry did you say something?"

I realized that this person had or wanted no time with me anymore so I let him be. In time he would return to me after his arrest, but nonetheless he keep to himself prior to that.

So let me know how you feel about the lack of justice served. In my opinion the justice is served when they are arrested and given to soceity to help solve the problems they helped to create. What is your take on that???

Your Friend,
Abraham Virtue

posted on Jul, 6 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
It's how it works. If you have a Black Elite Hacker, why not turn him into a White Elite Hacker?

To make better security, you must know how a hacker thinks. (find the easy way in- find a backdoor)

As for script kiddies and low experience hackers, they get the prison time because they can't use them.

(4/\/\/\/\0 |)|_||)3

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
what I meant was that the hacker should spend only maybe a day or two in jail... The minor hacker the government has no use for will probably stay in a tiny bit longer, and may have to pay a fine.

[Edited on 8-7-2003 by GiantsFan]

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimonGray
The audio CD could have been in MP3 format, while the movie could have been re-encoded using XVID or DIVX...

I know this is off-topic, but between William and you Simon, you guys got some kicka$$ avatars! Nice one Simon.
It was the first thing to catch my eye as I was scrolling down reading.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 8 2003 @ 09:58 AM
link   
You can't really see my avatar, but it's jackass: foreign policy. Instead of the regular cast of jackass, it has george Bush, Colin Powell, Dick Chaney, and others. Here's a better picture of it: Jackass: foiegn Policy

new topics

top topics

join