It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump administration to announce final bump stock ban

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:54 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

The Trump administration plans to announce the long-anticipated federal rule officially banning bump stocks in the coming days, according to US officials familiar with the matter.

But opposition from lawmakers and the National Rifle Association ultimately made a regulatory change the only realistic path forward to accomplishing the President's goal.

At Trump's direction, however, the Justice Department submitted a proposed final rule earlier this year that upended the Obama-era interpretation, and concluded that bump-fire stocks, "slide-fire" devices, and devices with certain similar characteristics all fall within the prohibition on machine guns by allowing a "shooter of a semiautomatic firearm to initiate a continuous firing cycle with a single pull of the trigger," and therefore, they are illegal under federal law.

Trump said last month he told the NRA "bump stocks are gone," but how the group responds to the final rule remains to be seen. A spokesperson for the NRA said in October 2017 that the ATF "should review bump-fire stocks to ensure they comply with federal law," but made clear it opposed the broader gun-control legislation raised by some in Congress.

Well, this is unexpected, for me at least. Apparently this was announced last month but I missed it, I dunno if ATS did as a whole either. This is an action that I can get behind Trump on. I applaud him, good job! But how will he now deal with the NRA? Clearly they don't want this banned and they were one of his biggest supporters. So will he cave in the coming days or stay strong?

Place your bets now!
edit on 28-11-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

Personally I knew this was coming.

Doesn't at all solve any problem with mass shootings or violence. But hey, governments aren't known for their effectiveness.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   

edit on 28/11/2018 by vinifalou because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

You're not wrong, this doesn't solve America's mass shooting problem but it is a step into the right direction. The Vegas shooter was able to commit massive amount of death, injury, damage, along with psychological damage all to easy with a simple bump stock.

But again, America has lots of problems that haven't been addressed at all.
edit on 28-11-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

According to the wording of this, rubber bands are now also illegal

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

You dont even need a rubber band to fire like a bump stock, but it helps.

This law/ban helps nothing.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: dbarnhart

According to the wording of this, rubber bands are now also illegal

www.youtube.com...

No, rubber bands are not illegal.

Using them to make a semi-auto into a full automatic is illegal.

Stop with the bloody nonsense, it is really annoying!

Machine guns are illegal without special permission.

That is it. What is so hard to understand.

P

(post by MteWamp removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Oh no, it sure does help. Trump, an NRA endorsed conservative is banning bump stocks. Did Obama even try to ban them? Is Trump banning them because Obama didn't out of spite, since Trump loves to undo all the Obama has done?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I think it's more along the lines of, it will make some leftists happy without really giving them anything and without getting the NRAs panties in a bunch.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Banning firearm accessories.

Yeah, I can see why the leftists might cheer.

They are for tearing away, little-by-little, the 2nd Amendment.

I am not with Trump or his administration on this.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I think it's more along the lines of, it will make some leftists happy without really giving them anything and without getting the NRAs panties in a bunch.

That's just silly, why would leftists be happy they own guns too . This is something all American people should be concerned about regardless of how they lean politically.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Uhm how exactly would the lack of a bump stock somehow lessened the event in LV?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Didn't Oscambo buy up billions of rounds of ammo with our tax dollars?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: JinMI

You're not wrong, this doesn't solve America's mass shooting problem but it is a step into the right direction. The Vegas shooter was able to commit massive amount of death, injury, damage, along with psychological damage all to easy with a simple bump stock.

But again, America has lots of problems that haven't been addressed at all.

If you believe 1 guy did all that damage, you have more issues than what's on the surface.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: watchitburn

That's just silly, why would leftists be happy they own guns too . This is something all American people should be concerned about regardless of how they lean politically.

But it's for the children!

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Banning firearm accessories.

Yeah, I can see why the leftists might cheer.

They are for tearing away, little-by-little, the 2nd Amendment.

I am not with Trump or his administration on this.

Might become an "example" when it fails 😎

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

So you don't care more of your rights are disappearing ?

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just a feel good move for the anti gun people. I don't think a large number of gun owners will be upset.

posted on Nov, 28 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

^This is from March.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join