It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baptism... Sprinkled or Dunked???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
It starts to be disapointing but more and more i see christian ppl embrace arguments and beliefs that seem pretty ridiculous to me ...

a couple of nights ago my husband was talking to another chirstian about baptism, what was his surprised hwen the other person told him that he was not "truly a Christian", and he "had not received the Holy Spirit", because his baptism didnt envolve beeing totally emersed under water ???

i myslef couldnt belive what i was hearing, i was baptised as a baby by the Catholic Church (i do not believe this to be right either --- baptism is for BELIVERS, and a baby isnt one), and my husband was baptised by a Presbetiran Church, where they simply sprinkled a couple of water drops on his head....

Now ... if the Baptism is a cerimony that symbolizes the wahsing of your past sins, and the re-brith into a new life... does it really matter how much water you use ???

If God is verywhere, isnt He as much in a drop of water as he is in the Ocean ???

My point beeing, where in the Bible do we have the instructions of the correct amount of water for the baptism??? The reason why the ppl in Israel used to be baptised in the river its because the river was there ...lol

Sadly the same ppl that tell other "YOU DO NOT KNOW GOD" becuase you were sprinkled instead of dunked, are the same ppl who claim to be "guaranteed heaven".... well with ppl like that in Heaven who wants to leave Earth ???

It seems to me that Jesus died for the sins of the Wolrd, and beeing dunked under water was not one of the "credits" to enter heaven, so who gives this ppl the right to tell others their baptism means ZERO to GOD?

anyways............ remember...when you point one finger there are five pointing right back at you ..............

posted on Feb, 25 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I was baptised twice and I am a hindu

well it's not that funny, well maybe only to me, but I had a wierd upbringing.

my first was a baby and I was sprinkled, my mom has pictures of it.
second time I was dunked, I was scared #less, thought I was going to drowned.

I really don't think it matters which way it was done, it's a matter of belief and symbolism.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   
i dont think it makes a difference either, its just so very sad to see ppl who are suppose to be of the same religion accusing "brothers" of beein less than them because of the ammount of water used during the baptism...:shk:

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I was Baptized two times because my mother is Catholic and my father a seventh day adventist.

Personally not many people understand from where the baptism came from and it was not originally from the Christian believes, it was an ancient tradition of cleansing in a pool of water before entering the temples, women were not allowed to do this.

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Lord, if I have heard this once I have heard it a thousand times. I was born raised Catholic (no longer Catholic but that is beside the point). My mom is a catholic and my dad is rlds. He believes that you are supposed to be dunked. Well let me just say as I have said to him a thousand times. I was 7 when I was baptized. I remember the Holy Spirit entering me. It was an amazing and overwhelming feeling. It does not matter if you are sprinkled or dunked. The whole dunking thing is back in the bible when they dunked people in the river. SO if they want to get technical (sorry spelling sux), being dunked in a pool is a lot different than being dunked in a river. Thats the way I see it. I mean seriously, how did they baptize people when there was not a river around?

posted on Feb, 27 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I mean seriously, how did they baptize people when there was not a river around?

EXACTLY !! my thoughts exactly !!
technicalities with no reason to exist ... bickering nothing more ...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Water is actually a very old tradition dating back to the Old Testament....
Quote////
Water as a symbol of life as well as a means of cleansing, or purification, is of particular importance in the Old Testament (see Reymond, L’eau, sa Vie, et sa Signification dans l’Ancien Testament).

It was created on the first day (Genesis 1:2, 6-8).
The Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters (Genesis 1:2).

The earth was founded upon the waters (Genesis 1:6-7, 9-10).

God commanded the water to bring out an abundance of living souls (Genesis 1:20-21).
In some sense the element is close to God (cf. Psalms 17; 28:3; 76:17, 20; 103:3; 148:4).

God is compared with the rain (Hosea 6:3).

Water brings life (cf. Exodus 15:23-35; 17:2-7; Psalms 1:3; 22:2; 41:2; 64:10; 77:20; Isaiah 35:6-7; 58:11), and joy (Psalm 45:5).//

Also in a thread ''water in Christianity''

orthodoxeurope.org...

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:49 AM
link   
*snort* If you want more fun, just look at the group of gentiles that recieved the holy spirit before they were baptized, somewhere in Acts. Or the fact that you don't directly need christinaity to know that there is one god, and what right and wrong is...scriptural, at that, lol...so why is there a need for Christianity? It has to do with a blood price and making sure you know you are free, not just guessing around.

My thing is that the original context for baptism in the scrpitures has to do with a new way of life, a burying the old man. When your dog dies, you don't put him out in the yard and sprinkle dirt over him and pronounce him buried. The same thing holds true for a water burial. The original word used in the scriptures is Baptitzo (anglicised Baptism....remember King James' religous leanings) which means immersion. Every single time, it means immersion. It was never defined as sprinkle in the whole of the scriptures. ..and it takes the place of circumcision, as I'm making myself God's man/woman this moment. I prefer the "better safe than sorry" method. I can count my sprinkle from childhood as my saving point, but I'm also going to go get dunked, to first, reaffirm myself, and second, cover my tail in case I'm wrong. To refuse to do so is a bit off, as the scriptures consistantly say go get immersed. You follow what's there.

BTW, I wa immersed at the age of 9, of my own free will.

posted on Mar, 16 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
That person has no right to tell someone they are not a christian because they were not baptized.

The baptism was under the water. That is why it was done in a river.
Yes, you can argue they sprinkled in the river, but logic says otherwise.
Act 8:36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
Act 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
If sprinkling was all that was needed, they wouldnt need to wait till they found water because the drinking water would have been enough.

More importantly, can you be saved without being baptized?

Act 10:45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,

These people are saved, being filled with the Holy Spirit.
Look what happens next

Act 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
Act 10:48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

They were not yet baptized.
So go and be baptized. Any spirit filled , baptized believer can baptize another in any water that is deep enough to dunk.

As for that person who told your husband that.... I would hand them that verse and simply tell them that God wants to speak with you....and walk away.

new topics

top topics

join