It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Media is making people crack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
For the second time in one week someone I know has lost it on Social Media (mostly facebook)

The latest is a woman, in her sixties, that absolutely went on an unbelievable tirade/rant about how nobody is liking her posts on Facebook.
She goes on and on about family and friends that don't like her posts can go ahead and delete her as a friend.
The way she wrote the rant almost seemed almost suicidal. Now here's the weird things, I went back and looked at her posts and all of them had
tons of likes!!

The other incident on social media is a person close to me that publically lied about something really stupid to get sympathy comments and likes.
The hilarious thing is that on another site they posted things that directly contradicted that post. This person is normally very stable, likeable, well rounded. I am genuinely sad for her.

What is going on? This is the very ugly side of Social media that I don't like. I think it is a great tool for connecting people that don't live close, but there is a very sad side of it too. I think the bad is starting to outweigh the good. I wonder if Social media is preventing real friendships that develop outside of the internet.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I wonder if Social media is preventing real friendships that develop outside of the internet.

Yes!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I think there was a black mirror episode about this very thing...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Facebook came out when I was in high school. It was a huge thing and everyone made an account to add their classmates, or the whole school.
It's nice way to talk to your friends outside of school and check up on the latest gossip etc. but what it boiled down to was a popularity contest. If you're not popular Facebook will just make you miserable because the attractive or popular ones would get 100 likes on a photo. It turns people into Narcissists. No one cares what you're doing except true friends, and seeing all the other people having better lives causes depression.

It really destroyed my social life and completely damaged my friendship with a girl I fell for.
I'm glad I deleted my social media account.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: SpaghettiHero

Facebook is for old people..
Snapchat and Instagram are the way for kids today

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Yeah.. that's always been a side-effect of the internet in general. People get too attached and forget that it is simply a tool.

I avoid social media because It felt like I had to be my own public relations guide. It just feels a bit wierd to me.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

It's definitely more fun. Facebook is for everybody to see every post you made. Even that girl or guy you just met.

At least Snapchat and instagram are more personal, less political-like.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

don't forget tinder
there is nothing social about social media.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

It's not a new thing. As far back as I can remember being online, people used to go on ragey or weepy rants about how no one ever responded to their posts/pictures/artwork/stories, etc., therefore no one liked them, and so on. Then they'd threaten to just delete everything and leave whatever social site it was. Queue the people running in to reassure the person they're liked/loved and begging them to please not leave. Person would then either agree to stay, usually with conditions that people pay more attention to them, or they'd continue the pity party to get more attention until they felt better... or whatever they were after.

It was common tactic on sites like Livejournal, Myspace, DeviantArt. You're just now seeing it hit closer to home. I was a regular art poster on DA for many, many years. It was a daily thing and sadly, not just hormonal teenagers doing it. Many of them were adults.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
So, how do I get my share of this crack?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:35 PM
link   

What is going on here is people live meaningless lives where social media because more important than real life.

She should try to have life goals that have nothing to do with computers.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Subrosabelow

You're right, I'm not on those other sites so I've basically only seen it on Facebook and Instagram.

I think some people really need some therapy or something. Yes, and that part about it being adults. I just didn't expect this from a senior citizen!!! Yes a moody teen, ok I kinda get that, but actually the teens seem much better about it.

There was another friend, he wrote a very long post about how he is so tired of being broke, how awful his life is, we are talking high leveling whining on this post. I kid you not the very next day he posts about having to buy a pair of $300 jeans!

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

What is going on here is people live meaningless lives where social media because more important than real life.

She should try to have life goals that have nothing to do with computers.

Here is the weird part about that lady, she has a great husband, children, dogs. She works in the medical field helping lots of people. She is a great neighbor. She is a lovely person really, so why she wants validation from Fb is beyond me.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Will never have anything to do with any of them. Messaging and phone calls are all you need to function.

The largest use of F,T and S is incessant, self-inflicted psycho-feedback for those that need approval for everything they think or say.

Runner up is a tool that lets you say or show something that may never be able to be retracted. What faith.

ATS is enough for me, but can be very dangerous if you slip up as well.

edit on 25-11-2018 by charlyv because: content

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have a personal and business account and it is really great if you have a fast moving business. My business not such a fast moving type. Fake complaints from ex whatevers and bored people so it's pretty much blocked to most people.

Websites still rule

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I have a personal and business account and it is really great if you have a fast moving business. My business not such a fast moving type. Fake complaints from ex whatevers and bored people so it's pretty much blocked to most people.

Websites still rule

Is it possible to just have the business account and no access to personal? Also, how much do those business accounts go for?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I am certain it is illegal to make people crack. That stuff is bad for you.

Also social media can make you crack up.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
dopamine

one word

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Human nature.

The same reason you wanted to bring this story to us.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join