It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An insane off the cuff recipe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Recovering from food coma, the bride and myself wanted to try something different.

So we bought a chuck roast this morning.

At noon we put it in the crock pot with a can of beef broth and 2 dry packets of Italian Dressing Seasoning.

COok for 3 hours.

During that time we diced cucumbers and red onions and mixed them with a Greek Yogurt Dressing.

Place in the fridge.

After 3 hours, we took the meat out and covered it in a creamy Italian dressing and put it in the oven at 350F for 2 hours.

After the 2 hours, we took out the meat and broke it apart then put in back into the crock pot (with the juices from before) and mixed it for 30 minutes.

Place shredded meat on a Hoagie roll, layer the top with the cucumber/onion mix, and you have the tastiest, sweetest. savory, juicy, sandwich in the world.

It works and blends so well.

Insane dinner!

Props to the bride for devising this.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yeah that sounds freaking awesome but what can I replaced the cucumber with?!
Cant stomach it.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: scubagravy
Cant stomach it.

Some red onion and the greek yogurt sauce? The cucumber definitely adds something to it though.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Cant stomach it.

Shredded cabbage

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem

Cant stomach it.

Shredded cabbage

That might work!

Might add it next time we do this.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Wow...that does actually sound good!!

Might have to try that!

You know...that might even be a good recipe for the Instant Pot too. Hmmmmmm...

Turkey soup tomorrow though...have to stay on schedule, you know.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:15 PM
link   
You know, you can just throw a hunk of beef in a crock pot with a can or so of beef broth and a packet of French onion soup and it will turn out masterpiece!

I'll tell ya another secret I've found which is really easy too...

At the store, in the sauce aisle, they have this stuff (from Campbell's I think) called Tavern Pot Roast. It's like this sauce in a bag. Just dump some of that stuff along with the beef in a slow cooker or a pressure cooker, toss in some carrots and a couple taters..OH MAN!! Your socks will shoot right off your feet!! It's really good!

P.S. I usually rough cut an onion too to go in with it, and if I have any shrooms laying around...all the better!!

I don't know what they put in that stuff, but it must be pure crack, cuz it's really GOOOOooooooood!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

White chili using our leftover turkey and the turkey stock we made yesterday here.

It seemed like the best thing to make while we sit out the blizzard.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Mom used to always do the Lipton soup thing growing up. We keep trying it, but we can never get the right amount of water. We always wind up too soupy. Mom's never was. It was always just right.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The Lipton soup mixes are dynamite for roasted potatoes.

Your welcome in advance.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:38 PM
link   

One trick is to add the soup under the roast, and set it on some onions (not a lot), then just dump in some stock (maybe a cup) and let it cook. Don't open it. When it's done stir the stock over everything and then add stock to suit your desired moisture content.

One thing I do is actually to heat some stock up in a small sauce pan and add some corn starch. I steal a couple spoonfuls of juice out of the pot and add it to the stock-cornstarch mixture. then I bring it to a boil (which, as you know, thickens the corn starch).

SSSSSSSHHHHhhhhhhh....don't tell anyone, but you want to know another (double super-secret) trick? Maggi's!! That stuff is AWESOME! So many people don't know what it is, but I'll bet you do. I'd like to find a 55 gallon drum of that stuff! I buy it by the big jug at the Asian markets.

edit on 11/24/2018 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Yep, although I used it most often to make medicated gel fishfood.

Mom used to do up the roast in the Crock-Pot with potatoes, carrots and onions and Lipton onion soup. She'd add just enough water to it that there'd be a bit of gravy in there and the vegetables would have a roasted crust on the edges.

I've never been able to hit that sweet spot. I always have the entire mess swimming in liquid like a weak soup.

Now I don't mind stew, but if I'm going to have stew, I want a proper gravy, not broth. And if I'm making a beef soup, then I want to build a proper stock including adding a nice bit of red wine and other things add some richness to it.

posted on Nov, 24 2018 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Try some corn starch...heated to near boiling...and add in some Maggi's.

You can send my fee later! LOL! (you won't regret it)

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Wifey asks: Why move it to the oven, instead of keeping in the CP the entire time?

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Wifey asks: Why move it to the oven, instead of keeping in the CP the entire time?

Wife did that.

Not sure why and I never question her.

It's safer that way.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Wife did that.

Not sure why and I never question her.

It's safer that way.

TBH...I may have misunderstood her question.
I generally only pay attention to about 20% of anything she says to me.

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Probably to "brown" it some, silly!

Good not ask though...wise choice...

posted on Nov, 25 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Also, you need to get those crunchy bits on the outside for texture.

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   

When large pork parts go on sale, I use an 8 to 10 pounder. Place in a roasting pan with 2 envelopes of dry italian dressing and a large jar of peperocini peppers including the juice and roast covered (10-12 hrs) at 275-300 degrees. Shred and serve on your favorite rolls. freezes real well for future use, great for tailgating.

top topics

join