It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can Amazon stock be crashing when we are in the depths of the retail apocalypse?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
a reply to: stormcell

So I've heard. My actual main goal was the CISSP getting into the field but now that I'm balls deep into networking I haven't decided which direction to go yet. But I don't think I'll have a problem in that field it will be night and day better than working as a tile setter. The unions in this state are struggling it wasn't until last year it really got back to normal (pre 08).

While there is a tech bubble being competitive , both outworking + working smarter then your peers and in general approaching your job as a mission and not a paycheck will keep you going in the IT space.

Having been in this field for 23 years I recently left a very stable Healthcare vertical for the Entertainment vertical and have no doubts it would take me about 5 mins to find another job if needed.

My advice number 1: Infosec is the way to go simply because of the fact that everyone has a networking background at this point. Collab engineer, WiFi engineer, DevOps ? You probably know most of the OSI model already and so does everyone else.

My advice number 2: Whichever one you go for be passionate about it and don't be afraid to beat , compete with or succeed when compared against others.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Great advice thanks! Once I finish the CCNA and CCNA Security I think I'm going to start acquiring more security skills. It's half of my classes at school anyway. I will be looking for both security analyst 1 and network analyst 1 positions at the same time.

I started on the networking path specifically for security reasons my logic was how can I work in security if I don't understand the network backbone.
edit on 21-11-2018 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

I have a kid so that ship has sailed, although I have taken precautions as to not have more . You are right in that we are nothing more than tax slaves, although I'm not sure just not having kids will solve the issue, birth rates are already in the negative and we are seeing tax cows being imported, in third world countries there are no contraceptives to slow child birth down.
edit on 21-11-2018 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

So life is an iron maiden song and we are all a bunch of dumb drones? Got it.

Megadeth, not maiden

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

a reply to: BrianFlanders

check my recent thread on Japan we are already headed there

That's because Japan is usually ahead of the curve on things. They learn some hard lessons from time to time (like WW2) but they respond quickly and intelligently to unfavorable conditions. Americans do not.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Meanwhile China is churning out 2 new Billionaires per week.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TamtammyMacx
Meanwhile China is churning out 2 new Billionaires per week.

And nearly 50,000 pointless slaves (who have no meaningful rights) every day.
edit on 21-11-2018 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

If fifty percent of the population are on some sort of welfare. I don't think the retail sector is going to boom any time in the near future.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
General picture looks good but over inflated tech stocks are gonna get hammered. Especially Facebook because people are leaving it in droves and it appears to only be a place where moms exchange recipes and kid pictures. No one under 20 uses it.

Facebook has mostly abandoned the US. 80% of users on the platform aren't in the US. 50% are in Africa and Asia. They're also facing some well deserved legal scrutiny lately. However, Facebooks other properties like Oculus and Snap are primarily concentrated in the US and are popular with all age groups.

Here is a stinker for you as well; why do people buy Amazon stock anyway? It doesn't pay dividends. I mean sure, the people that got in on it before it went over 100 are probably millionaires, but what of it? Who would buy it now with the exception of millionaires? Same with Apple I believe.

Why do people buy Berthshire Hathaway stock? It doesn't pay dividends either. But it's still a good way to have your investments appreciate.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
Bitcoin is going down in price as well, especially after that split into different Bitcoins. There's the problem right there. It used to be there was only the one and only Bitcoin, and that pushed the price up because there were only going to be so many Bitcoins. But now, they keep splitting into new currencies every now and again.

The problem crypto has, is that the technology has been around for 10 years now and has only produced a handful of very dubious use cases, most of which are to facilitate illegal activity.

posted on Nov, 21 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
When Apple is charging $1000 for a smartphone, new competitors are coming on the market (Huawei), rents are going up as Chinese investors buy up Silicon Valley homes as "investments" and not somewhere to live, displacing Silicon Valley workers who then relocate to Texas, Colorado and Nevada (Las Vegas), creating a property boom in those places, but pushing up the prices of homes and rents, which then displaces other people. That sucks money out of the consumer market.

The Silicon Valley housing crisis is a problem made purely through a government screwup (well, and voters, since they passed the laws). Pretty much every city in the Bay as well as a few other areas in California have housing ordinances in place that are designed to preserve the city skyline. This results in few high rise apartments, and consequently a lot of low density housing where people build out instead of up. This leads to a lot of very tiny living areas that are very expensive.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I agree entirely with your post. Like the calm before the 1929 crash...I think a lot of the pieces are in place.

Bank Bail-ins. The unwinding of depositers Bank deposits guarantee's.
Algorithmic trading.

And this amount of promises....

www.investopedia.com...

The derivatives market is, in a word, gigantic – often estimated at more that $1.2 quadrillion

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

I agree entirely with your post. Like the calm before the 1929 crash...I think a lot of the pieces are in place.

Bank Bail-ins. The unwinding of depositers Bank deposits guarantee's.
Algorithmic trading.

And this amount of promises....

www.investopedia.com...

The derivatives market is, in a word, gigantic – often estimated at more that $1.2 quadrillion

I remember when you bought stock you bought a part of a company. Not today, today you buy a piece of paper that can be used to show how stupid you are to invest in something unreal.

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

There is no Sign of Inflation in the U.S. Economy over the past year , so Why is the FED Raising Interest Rates Now , and Again in the Near Future ? I have my Suspicions , but will not air them here..........
edit on 23-11-2018 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
we'll know more about where the economy is at after the numbers for black friday sales start coming in

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
we'll know more about where the economy is at after the numbers for black friday sales start coming in

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Change this second one to black Saturday or cyber Monday

posted on Nov, 23 2018 @ 11:10 PM
link   

DOW was down on Friday but I read oil has a lot to do with that

posted on Nov, 26 2018 @ 08:30 AM
link   

today you buy a piece of paper that can be used to show how stupid you are to invest in something unreal.

hahaha...and the paper representing ( scrip) the stock possibly has more value than the share....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join