It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a thought, lack of discipline due to PC, the main reason for School Shootings?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I will preface this bu stating that i do not post much. So i am not sure if this is the proper place to write this post. Feel free to move accordngly.

The reason i post this is because i was in a conversation with my cousin. Few things were brought up. Mostly about how destructive young children are. I have none of my own. Ive raised my nephews. Both of the two boys, once i ETA’ed from the Army, i stayed and babysat them. They turned out quite well. But only around me. Im a firm believer in spanking your child. I abhor abuse. There is a fine line. In my opinion, spanking would be called for when the action they did resulted in harm or could have to another human. 3-4 slaps on the behind because it is the most fatty area and would be least likely to cause long term distress (rather than say slapping across the mouth for saying the wrong thing as i have been. Multiple times). I grew up “old fashioned”. Im only 31 years of age but i feel the way i was raised is dieing. Im the last of a dieing breed. I learned my lessons by a swift smack across the mouth when i said something severely out of line. Ive been grounded and have had things taken away from me like no tomorrow. The thing that worked most was the fear of “go outside and pick a switch” kind of parenting. Its the type of parenting that makes you choose just how much you want to hurt for actions. Parents now days are too scared to discipline their children physically because of legal repercussions. I agree there needs to be laws to prevent abuse. But there also needs to be exceptions to prevent unruly children shooting up schools because their parents were too scared to do their job.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: PhatalError

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. PC doesn't kill people.

There are 320 million people in this country. There are going to be some crazy nut cases. I'm not sure you can prevent it with laws or right wing crack down tactics.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

Guns don't kill people, bullets do. PC doesn't kill people.

There are 320 million people in this country. There are going to be some crazy nut cases. I'm not sure you can prevent it with laws or right wing crack down tactics.

Actually, people kill people.

All the OP is saying is that PC makes people crazy, simply because political correctness in itself is a form of insanity.

So crazy people kill people.

And I am curious... what are these right wing crack down tactics you mention?

Because I'm aware of what the left wants to do about "gun violence".

edit on 18-11-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:41 PM
link   

There is nothing PC about trying to instill a respect for life.

If you must blame upbringing, blame the parent who fails to do that.

edit on 11/18/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
nobody protects the white kids

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I don't know about a lack of spankings per se, but I do believe there is a lack of respect for others beyond the self. Kids are growing up selfish and narcissistic.

When you lose sight of how what you do affects others and lost sight of what your actions may cost them and stop caring, it gets easier and easier to do what you want at any cost. And I'm not just talking about those who crack and end up shooting their peers. I'm talking also about the ones who bullied them to begin with, the parents who lost sight of the importance of family and weren't there to see what was happening, etc.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I see this a lot...parents don't have time for their kids anymore in a lot of places. I have had kids come over my house and not eat real food because they have only known a diet of fast foods, as example. Coming to my door a 2 in the morning to play with my kids, throwing F bombs at the age of 6, so on and so on...

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Never hit my kid.

Never had to.

If he feels like shooting at something... thats what fortnite is for.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:54 PM
link   

You mean the parent who can no longer punish their child for wrongdoing because... PC ?

You are usually sharper than this.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

I swatted my daughter on the butt one time. When she was three and kept getting closer to the water contrary to instructions.

Surprised her (it worked). I got over it, after a while.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You mean the parent who can no longer punish their child for wrongdoing because... PC ?

You are usually sharper than this.

And, as usual, you see things that aren't there.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I would say that a larger factor is that in modern (last 40 years or so) parents' attempts to shield their children from adversity have led to a generation that has failed to gain "coping skills". Couple that with more recent broken social dynamics via texting and reduced "normal" interaction, you have a large group of people who can't cope when things don't go their way and lash out for attention in all the wrong ways.

Of course it is more complicated than that, but preventing kids from adversity is a huge factor in my opinion. It is different than PC, but a symptom of the same overall damage to the culture. PC is a direct result of people failing to have coping skills. Can't cope... ban it.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:02 PM
link   

I swatted my daughter on the butt one time. When she was three and kept getting closer to the water contrary to instructions.

Surprised her (it worked). I got over it, after a while.

Ok fine. I swatted my kids hand once.

We we discuss "spanking" I pictured my mom marching me off to the bedroom to pick which belt im going to get it with. Taught me physics. Dont pick the light one haha

An action out of fear for their safety like your story, shouldnt be considered punishment either.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:03 PM
link   
I don't blame PC for the lack of discipline I blame the kids born from the baby boomers who beaten beyond anything you can imagine. They grew up vowing it not to happen to others and CYS and it's different variants were born. Now they have gone out of control. I do believe they do some good but they get involved for almost anything now a days. Your children have a lot of power that they nor you can realize. I get its necessary but there has to be limits. Oh and spanking are good. So is the corner (not some stupid timeout chair) but there is that time when an ass bearing is in order. I got best once for doing very bad things. All it took was once and I've never done those things again. I also got my dad in trouble with it. He was labeled a child abuser over what was necessary. Which I find funny. I talked to them about other deep issues at the time but threw those away. Instead they only took the beating and ruined my dad. All I wanted was to talk about it. Not hurt him for it. Children of baby boomers are what's destroying the fabric of this society. Piece by piece.

That's just my thoughts of the matter. Take it or leave it.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   

An action out of fear for their safety like your story, shouldnt be considered punishment either.

It wasn't. It was purely attention getting. No pain involved.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheGhoul

I don't blame PC for the lack of discipline I blame the kids born from the baby boomers who beaten beyond anything you can imagine.

I'm a baby boomer. I was never beaten.

But I think corporal punishment predates my generation.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:14 PM
link   
We used swatting sparingly.

When he hurt others or when he was in danger -- like the time he ran out in front of a car in a parking lot when he was very young.

We no longer swat him now. He's too old. We'd actually have to hurt him to make any impression. In our opinion, swatting is more for the shock value than it is for any pain and so it's only for the very little kids before you can explain things to them and other discipline measures work.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Even good loving parents can raise the spawn of Satan. It's not about parenting. It's more complex and enters into the realm of mysticism as to what a person ultimately becomes. There is evil in this world.

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Even good loving parents can raise the spawn of Satan. It's not about parenting. It's more complex and enters into the realm of mysticism as to what a person ultimately becomes. There is evil in this world.

Buuuuuuuuullshiiit!

I grew up with a few of these evil types. And if i recall, their parents were oblivious and didnt give a damn if their child was evil because the never acknoledged their bad behavior. Defended their kids when the kid did bad things. The ones that were physically abused by their parents, they liked to fight in school, thats for sure, but they were also loyal to a fault and protected those that couldnt fight back

I attended 9 different school districts between grade 5-12 and thats what I saw
edit on pSun, 18 Nov 2018 20:31:03 -06002018 003Sun, 18 Nov 2018 20:31:03 -0600pmAmerica/ChicagoSunday by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 18 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

I guess it depends on what you're calling evil.

There is not much doubt that some people are messed up from the get go. It ain't all nurture.

I know some great kids, the fruit of messed up parents.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join