It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran's Day Rant!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As a veteran, I am more offended that Pete Davidson was made to apologize for a damned joke, no matter how stupid or bad the joke was. Veterans aren't victims, we are not made of glass, we are not in need of emotional protection. Please stop this outrage machine. It has already swallowed whole all things funny in favor of walking on eggshells for fear of offending gay people, black people, white people, Hispanic people, trannies, god damn furries, and everyone else in between.

It's either all on the table or none of it is. What world do you wanna live in?

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
As a veteran, I am more offended that Pete Davidson was made to apologize for a damned joke, no matter how stupid or bad the joke was. Veterans aren't victims, we are not made of glass, we are not in need of emotional protection. Please stop this outrage machine. It has already swallowed whole all things funny in favor of walking on eggshells for fear of offending gay people, black people, white people, Hispanic people, trannies, god damn furries, and everyone else in between.

It's either all on the table or none of it is. What world do you wanna live in?

I couldnt agree more.

I put a thread up about crenshaw and how awesome he handled this.

Humor can help bring all of us together.

The outrage machine on both sides is absurd and should be laughed at as opposed to be taken seriously.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Today at work I was asked about this situation and the pensive looks on the faces of my co-workers is not something I want to see again.

I've had enough of the outrage machine. Good people I work with were afraid of offending me via an SNL skit that I or they had anything to do with.

This has people walking on eggshells and that bothers me. It tells me that everyone has thin skin and are emotionally stunted to be so afraid of my reaction.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

I watched a clip of the supposedly offensive skit...
Honestly I didn't see anything offensive.
People are way to sensitive today.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You don't like your military status to be a political tool?
....you don't say...

It'll pass. It's only useful to the agenda for a week.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   
It seems we are devolving into the Victorian Era again in many ways. Who put the big stick up everyone's butt ?? We used to laugh at each other's differences and understood it was not serious. But then, a change happened around the late 1990's when stabbing each other in the back became "Reality TV" as opposed to goodhearted ribbing.

There's a lot to be said for the phrase, "suck it up, buttercup", crude, yes, abrasive, yes, a cause for full blown meltdown, NO.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn
a reply to: Grambler

Today at work I was asked about this situation and the pensive looks on the faces of my co-workers is not something I want to see again.

I've had enough of the outrage machine. Good people I work with were afraid of offending me via an SNL skit that I or they had anything to do with.

This has people walking on eggshells and that bothers me. It tells me that everyone has thin skin and are emotionally stunted to be so afraid of my reaction.

I have always said, I would rather someone hate me than feel bad for me.

I hate when people walk on egg shells for fear of offending me.

I had an insulin training for my work the other day. The nurse giving it felt awkward discussing obesity being a cause of diabetes cause I am a fat guy!

I laughed and told her not to worry at all.

And that wasnt even a joke, that was serious medical stuff.

All of us need to learn to take jokes and laugh at ourselves.

The reverence I have for veterans will not stop me from making jokes out of fear of offending them.

In fact, that reverence demands that I treat veterans like I would any person that I respect, which means not changing my actions or words for fear they may be offended.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You & my husband alike, and a bunch of his coworkers & friends, are in agreement there. They're pretty sick of the Padded Gloves treatment, plus the fawning sycophancy of noses up their asses for serving in the first place.

Nothing pisses the lot of them off more than fawning over vets like they're celebs. In my husband's words, "Jesus effing Christ, I served. Quit trying to be first in line to blow me for it!"

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Someone said something nasty and in bad taste to someone else and had the testicular fortitude to sincerely apologize out of respect before it blew into astronomical proportions and this is bad or a guise to keep people from saying anything they want ? ...

I'm glad there's some civility left.
edit on 12-11-2018 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Agree with everything you said, except for one thing: no one worries about offending white people- that's not allowed anymore.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
It seems we are devolving into the Victorian Era again in many ways. Who put the big stick up everyone's butt ?? We used to laugh at each other's differences and understood it was not serious. But then, a change happened around the late 1990's when stabbing each other in the back became "Reality TV" as opposed to goodhearted ribbing.

There's a lot to be said for the phrase, "suck it up, buttercup", crude, yes, abrasive, yes, a cause for full blown meltdown, NO.

I say we need to work on cloning George Carlin and Richard Pryor to start a worldwide tour tearing apart all this PC crap!

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: BigDave-AR

originally posted by: Krakatoa

I say we need to work on cloning George Carlin and Richard Pryor to start a worldwide tour tearing apart all this PC crap!

Don't forget to add a heap of Don Rickles DNA to those clones as well.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah
You & my husband alike, and a bunch of his coworkers & friends, are in agreement there. They're pretty sick of the Padded Gloves treatment, plus the fawning sycophancy of noses up their asses for serving in the first place.

Nothing pisses the lot of them off more than fawning over vets like they're celebs. In my husband's words, "Jesus effing Christ, I served. Quit trying to be first in line to blow me for it!"

I never understood the "thank you for your service" thing.

Threw me for a loop the first time someone told me that.

It's... awkward.

It was a part of my life that I did because I wanted to give back to my country.

Not something that needs applauded.

It was something personal.

So I completely understand where your husband is coming from.

posted on Nov, 12 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Nyiah

I never understood the "thank you for your service" thing.

Threw me for a loop the first time someone told me that.

It's... awkward.

It was a part of my life that I did because I wanted to give back to my country.

Not something that needs applauded.

It was something personal.

So I completely understand where your husband is coming from.

I say it because I honestly do thank them for the service they provided for me and my family. Many of my family served from WW!, WWII (one uncle was stationed at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7, 1941, my father participated in the D-Day invasion), Korea, Vietnam, and forward to Desert Storm in every branch of the military. I know what has been sacrificed, not only by the service member themselves, but their families. The constant worry and concern during a deployment, the uncertainty of answering the phone or seeing that dreaded service branch vehicle pull up and have an officer approach the door.

That is why I thank service folks for serving, in my place, for me and my family, because I know the whole story in full context. To me, it is personal...and I am thankful.

No virtue signaling here I assure you....it is genuine.

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 02:37 AM
link   
this thread needs context - not all of us are merkins - and dont say :

" stop being lazy - google it "

peter .......... who ?????????????

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Our family has had a male member in the military since the civil war, often on both sides of my family tree.

Fun family fact, we also fought on both sides of the civil war. Also have slave owners and slaves in the family tree.

Women in my family started going into the military as well in the 60's.

To us taking some time (to retirement in some cases) is just what people should do to pay back what those of us before did to keep this country ours.

So, to my family at least, it is the same as thanking someone for being an American.

In the service or not, there may be a time where, for your country or countrymen, you are going to have to cash that big blank check.

Lots of firemen and LEO in my family as well.

Dunno.

In my personal opinion it just seems awkward. It's just what you should do. Not something to be applauded, but something to be expected.

~shrug~

posted on Nov, 13 2018 @ 08:11 PM
link   

I did like that the vet in question came on the show and broke his balls a little, showed he was a good sport about it too.

top topics

join