It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When traveling to Vietnam. From the US Embassy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:09 AM
link   
NOTICE: AboveTopSecret.com management is now enforcing new standards for the opening posts of threads.

Opening posts that contain minimal content, links with little or no explanation, YouTube videos with no commentary, images with little or no commentary, and similar nominal content may be removed without warning or explanation. If your topic is important to you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately, better threads. In fact, if you have less to say than this simple notice, then you probably do not have enough to start a new thread. Thank you for your assistance in helping to create great threads on ATS.

When you click this form-field, this message will disappear.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:10 AM
link   
Event: The U.S. Mission to Vietnam advises U.S. citizens of the High Crime rating for Vietnam. Recent reports of criminal activities include unwanted sexual advances, targeting children in public places for potential kidnapping, and reports of wrongdoing by taxis and ride-sharing services, including sexual harassment and theft of personal items.

Actions to Take:

· Maintain situational awareness and be aware of your surroundings.

· Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches and keep the amount of valuables on your person to a minimum.

· Do not physically resist if confronted by an armed or unarmed robber as robbers may resort to violence.

· Use caution when walking or driving at night.

· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic
Meh no change since I was there ten years ago then. 'do not resist' is meek and lame advice for people from the land of the free.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: CornishCeltGuy
Meh no change since I was there ten years ago then. 'do not resist' is meek and lame advice for people from the land of the free.

The embassy just sent me the notice a few minutes ago.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Traveling SE Asia has always been dodgy, same as any other poor nations, I've never taken advice from the British Embassy, just used my own eyes and ears. I've been places and had my passport and travelers cheques/checks taped to the small of my back for safety, nearly got thrown into the south china sea once but one of the fishermen defended me thank # lol

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Traveling SE Asia has always been dodgy, same as any other poor nations, I've never taken advice from the British Embassy, just used my own eyes and ears. I've been places and had my passport and travelers cheques/checks taped to the small of my back for safety, nearly got thrown into the south china sea once but one of the fishermen defended me thank # lol

I've been in Asia on and off since 74. Even now in Tokyo (yakuza) Hong Kong (triads) rule the under-world of sleeze. I'd rather be in Vietnam then the Philippines though. Thailand, in gated foreign residential areas are OK. But I like adventure. To me, Vietnam still offers that adventure. What are your thoughts?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:42 AM
link   
My thoughts are I love being the only white face in town traveling places when I don't even really know where I am. Most people are friendly in all places around the world, normal average people. I have thought I was about to die 3 times though, and it was normal average people saved my life.
I almost hate the smartphone world we have now, instant translation, instant navigation, back in the day it really felt like an adventure.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

My thoughts are I love being the only white face in town traveling places when I don't even really know where I am. Most people are friendly in all places around the world, normal average people. I have thought I was about to die 3 times though, and it was normal average people saved my life.
I almost hate the smartphone world we have now, instant translation, instant navigation, back in the day it really felt like an adventure.

Yep, like the canal in Bangkok. The bananas were so good. And the smiles are still etched in my mind. I want to go back before the day I lose my breathe. For me , Thailand was how the world was in its innocence stage of developement.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Southern Laos/Cambodia is even better

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I had the cash but I've been lazy this year only worked 2 day weeks etc, kicking myself now it is winter though, I'd be away until March if I could lol

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Southern Laos/Cambodia is even better

I'd be there in a heartbeat if I had the cash but I've been lazy this year only worked 2 day weeks etc, kicking myself now it is winter though, I'd be away until March if I could lol

Sounds like you have the heart and spirit of a true adventurous person.
I got to admit, I've been happy with my travels. As you probably know by my post, I'm in Japan. It's a tame country for foreigners if they obey the rules, but I will tell you, there's some fkn mean and crazy people that do bad things to foreigners here. Once and a while it makes national news.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

I've been in Asia on and off since 74. Even now in Tokyo (yakuza) Hong Kong (triads) rule the under-world of sleeze. I'd rather be in Vietnam then the Philippines though. Thailand, in gated foreign residential areas are OK. But I like adventure. To me, Vietnam still offers that adventure. What are your thoughts?

haven't been to Viet Nam, but there is nothing wrong with the Philippines, any more than anywhere else. and that includes the US and Canada. the real difference is that Asia has far more people, especially in the cities. so even if for example the US had a higher percentage of criminals, there would still likely be more criminals in an Asian city just due to the far higher population.

as for this government warning. well that is a pretty standard warning for many countries, especially poorer countries. heck i remember not too long ago Canada was warning Canadians about travel to the US. especially the high amount of theft by the police on innocent travelers. i'd almost take this warning as meaning things are fine for travelers, just be a cautious as you would be at home. seriously that basic warning is so common, they might as well not even post it. seriously every single point mentioned equally applies to anywhere you go, including your home area.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I love traveling and seeing new places. I love the feeling of being vulnerable, like an adrenaline trip, even places in the UK I've never been to before. I worked in a city called Bradford (UK) this year, was in a 99% Muslim area, felt like a foreign country, men in Islamic dress spitting on the floor in front of us as an insult. Was more scary than any foreign country I've been to.

...I've entered China illegally as well, from the Laos side of the border I saw a weak spot. I only entered for a metre or so and for just a few minutes but I did it just to say I had haha, as soon as I saw a Chinese People's Liberation Army truck approach I ran back into Laos and hoped they would not follow me.

I've entered Cambodia illegally loads of times, the standard bribe to border guards is US$50 lol
edit on 7-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: wall of text lol needed line spaces

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:18 AM
link   
thanks to all for posts / info

I did a bit of traveling when younger and I loved to wander alone. not so much now.

I think cities in general are hazardous.

went to Ocho Rios (Jamaica) years ago. we were on a resort. I couldn't wait to get in country. real interesting. daylight only and not far, but it was something.

I wonder how many Viet Namese speak English?

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero
I've never had a package resort holiday, when I leave the UK I just buy an airplane ticket and make it up when I get to my destination. That is the fun and excitement of traveling for me.
I haven't done the US yet, I have family in Canada so I'll probably go there first, then jump a metre or so over the border into the US just to say I've been an illegal alien there if only for 5 minutes and a selfie lol
EDIT
I have a dear friend in TN though, so when I do make it to North America I will enter the US legally and see her for a cup of tea and a hug.

edit on 7-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Spent quite a bit of time in SE Asia myself, several years actually. Did some pretty crazy stuff over there. We were livin' on the edge quite a bit. Got in more than a few binds I wasn't so sure we were going to get out of in one piece. Mostly all out in the backcountry (jungles, etc.). Not all of them in the boonies though. Heh, one time I almost got into a sword/parang fight with a bus load of pretty unsavory characters! Only problem was...I didn't have a sword/parang! That time was a back-alley dash right out of a Robert Ludlum novel. (long story).

There's some pretty rough areas in that part of the world. Southern Thailand down by the Malay border is a pretty lawless area. Heck, even just across the border in Malaysia is a crazy place. Spent about two years in Malaysia. Traveled all over penninsular Malaysia. I could probably write a book about my experiences in Malaysia alone. Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, South Korea (right up by the DMZ), China, Japan, HK, Singapore, Australia, (Malaysia of course). Always had this strange desire to go to NK, but when I was there (back in the mid-90's) NK was still a black hole (danger-danger).

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk
You crossed the land border between Malaysia and Thailand?
Malay side not a dog in sight, cats everywhere, Thai side, no cats but a million mangy dogs lol

EDIT
I crossed it loads of times because as a Brit you get a 30 day tourist visa so you have to do the border run, it's funny just walking in and out of a country to get another month visa.
edit on 7-11-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Lmfao those countries are all as cesspool as the next.

Anyone giving Vietnam any sort of compliment is sick. You are basically supporting a sick dictatorship that throws people in prison for even looking at them wrong.

Don't go. I am jaded as I have an ex that moved there too. All my Cambodian friends hate Vietnam, with a passion. I don't trust anyone from there, either.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX
Interesting anecdotal assertions.
Plenty of countries are dictatorships, I still want to visit though, I'd like to do North Korea and I know it will be fake, but I still want to.

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 08:55 AM
link   

My brother in law and big sister are there doing humanitarian work,housing and medical care,hope they are cool-

posted on Nov, 7 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   

a reply to: SR1TX
Interesting anecdotal assertions.
Plenty of countries are dictatorships, I still want to visit though, I'd like to do North Korea and I know it will be fake, but I still want to.

No commerce to Evil.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join