It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

magnet help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
hello all i need to know if there is a magnet out there shaped like a + sign with all the end being of north polarity. it is needed for an experiment of mine and i cant find it any where. thanks for the help

_-neo-_

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
You might try searching with the key words specialty magnets. If you cant find them, you may be able to construct it out of four magnets. If you purchase them, they wont be cheap.

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Kidfinger can i get the polarities to be close to exactly north by manufacturing one of my own

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
You will still have to buy a non polorizing magnet (4 of them), but it should work. If you use regular magnets you would end up with something like this.

+
+ + -
-

The middle plus is a rep of the mag. The four signs corrospond with what you would end up with using regular magnest instead of the non polorized magnets.

Im not a complete expert on this. I have only had one physics class. Made an awsome grade in it, but one class does not make an expert

Amorymeltzer is very knowledgable about this subject. Ill see if I cant get him to take a looksy.

edited to add:

I cant get the damn signs to line up with the mag rep. Sorry, but I think you can still see what I mean.

[edit on 2/24/05 by Kidfinger]

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
its cool i get the idea if we could get some more in depth help i would love it untill then i guess i'll have to put the experiment on hold

thanks for the help

posted on Feb, 24 2005 @ 11:32 PM
link   
this is how you make a magnet. different materials like stainless steel, strontium, cobalt and carbide etc. will have different permability but
basically you place a red-hot piece of metal in a strong DC magnetic field and allow it to cool off and it becomes magnetized! simple!!

try this........if you can..

1.cut a piece of iron or steal into the shape you want.--the cross

2.then fab a holding jig-1 screw in the middle to support the cross 6 inches above your work table.

3. make 4 electromagnets coils (seleniods) that can handle lots of 12 dc current-example: to make a very strong magnetic field, i have used the coil out of a car starter selenoid before.

4.set it up so you can arrange the coils quickly over/around the ends of the cross without touching the 'cross' before energizing. and also have a way to brace them quickly so they don't jump when you connect the juice.--'cold test' the set-up first-to see if it holds together!

5. for your configuration, the outer-most connection should be positive
on all coils. you will energize all four coils,wired in parellel, at once-with a car battery-so use fat power cables-like jumper cables. have everything ready to go and do a coulpe of 'dry runs' before you do the next step.

6. using a blowtorch, heat the cross to bright red(the part you want magnetized), remove blowtorch and quickly move the coils into position-lock 'em down and energize them---leave energized untill the metal cools. you can use a fan or a blowdryer(on air only) to cool quickly--don't use water(coils may short out).

this is how i made my own magnets in science class when i was in high school. good luck and please, don't get burned

posted on Feb, 26 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by hightenedawareness
3. make 4 electromagnets coils (seleniods) that can handle lots of 12 dc current-example: to make a very strong magnetic field, i have used the coil out of a car starter selenoid before.

they are actually called solenoids

edit: (forgot to answer question)
you could just get 4 magnets and attach the - ends in a way that they are forced together.

Maybe predrill bars then magnetise them and screw them together

[edit on 26-2-2005 by llama009]

top topics

join