It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Appropriation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Definition of Appropriate as a Verb:
to set apart, authorize, or legislate for some specific purpose or use: The legislature appropriated funds for the university.
to take to or for oneself; take possession of.
to take without permission or consent; seize; expropriate.
to steal, especially to commit petty theft.

Since this issue of appropriation is getting REALLY out of hand you guys, I'm here to add some things that are not OK. OK? OK!
There is nothing about appropriation that implies or indicates a dismissive or demeaning attitude, Therefore:

I believe it is WRONG for kids and young adults to appropriate Asian Anime culture. This is NOT your culture, stop stealing it and using it for your own entertainment!

I am SO TIRED for so-called "transgender" women appropriating my gender! I am a male and you stealing my gender for your own purposes is wrong and needs to stop!

Of course this is all a joke. I actually believe appropriation is a pile of crap. The only time dressing up as a character or a member of another race/gender is bad is if it's done with a mean spirit.

Dressing up in black face is NOT racist if you are not propagating a negative stereotype. If you like traditional Native American dress and you are not acting like a dumb ass, that's not racist. If you gender bend for Halloween because it's unexpected, that's not disrespectful.

If you enjoy ancient cultures and want to dress up as a gladiator, a Greek god, pharaoh, an ancient Hindu, a Samurai, or a Rabbi, or some such, you are NOT being racist.

= End o' Rant.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:32 AM
link   
a reply to: frostjon361

Yeah, and adults ruined Beanie Babies too.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I am SO TIRED for so-called "transgender" women appropriating my gender! I am a male and you stealing my gender for your own purposes is wrong and needs to stop

Here. Here a jolly good point

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
all or nothing :

any one who denounces so called " appropriation " - must forsake EVERY meme that was not created by thier own culture

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Elvis appropriated black music. Thank god.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   
On behalf of apes, I condem humans appropriation of bipedal locomotion.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
No negative stereotypes, so that means no Cathiolic priest and little boy coustunes? No negative trump costumes? No negative republican costumes...anything else the left likes to mock

What’s a negative stereotype and who gets to judge that?

Wear what you want, it’s freedom of expression. Anyone who tries to tell you what to wear is just a bully and you need to stand up to bullies

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I went to carneval dressed as a Huaorani once. The outrage was present, I could feel it.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Okay, we get it.
You love, love, love, Megan Kelly.
LOL

And yes, black face IS racist! It is making fun of one's Skin Color! like it is a cartoon image. It is not
a costume!
Can you see the difference? I hope so.
Sad.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Nicely ranted frost. I am on the cusp of total agreement. However there are a few points that might still be worth discussion. One is the notion of appropriation being dismissive and hence demeaning ages of cultural heritage. Maybe not demeaning as I agree that if there is no mean spirit in the motive then demeaning is not the correct term. But even the plain dismissive nature of entertainment value alone of deeply held cultural styles and values can insult those who truly hold them.

To me it is a passive form of rudeness. We can be rude without knowing it. I for one do not like to be rude but sometimes I am and I like to know when I am so that I can be less rude. Know what I mean?

This black face thing. I agree that Kelly might not have had a racist bone in her body, that her whole approach to that issue was innocent. I think her apology should have been sufficient in this case. She learned that she had been innocently rude and took it to heart. She should not have lost her job over it, that was a complete ''overblow''. She had learned from the experience and need not have suffered that punishment.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: frostjon361

Since this issue of appropriation is getting REALLY out of hand you guys, I'm here to add some things that are not OK. OK? OK!
There is nothing about appropriation that implies or indicates a dismissive or demeaning attitude

I am in full agreement with you, and will go further why does *miss appropriation*

always seem to go in one direction

Recently there has been much ado about the recent cover of Vogue where

Kendal Jenner is wearing a teased up frizzy hair do. You will need to click

the link and scrool down to see it as I cant put the picture up.........

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Kendall, 22, posed as part of a series of photos shot for Vogue to mark the 15th anniversary of the CFDA / Vogue Fashion Fund prize
Swedish photographer Mikael Jansson shot the series
The model and reality star can be seen in a couple of snaps wearing a hairstyle that strongly resembles an Afro, when her hair is naturally straight
Vogue shared one of Kendall's photos on Instagram; many social media users bashed the publication and asked why it didn't hire a model with a natural Afro

Soooo.... If this ^^^^ is cultural appropriation where do the white people stand

when women/men with afro hair spend a lot of time and money with chemicals

straightening their hair

Beyonce, Megan Markle, Rihanna, Halle Berry, Naiomi Campbell, Opra Winfrey........

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
On Halloween and appropriation=

Halloween is a product of white, Anglo culture. Therefore everyone not white and not Anglo is appropriating my culture if they dress up on Halloween.

Stop appropriating my culture non white and non Anglo people.

You CAN'T change my mind.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
If I dress up as Black Zetsu, or Ichigo Kurasaki, or any one of my favorite characters from various anime, does that make me racist or a fan?

How does cosplay factor into this? This whole sensitivity mob bull# is ruining anything fun.

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The only people who scream about cultural appropriation are (mostly)white liberals who want to be offended for everyone else.

I don't give a # if you go to salsa night and dress like a Cuban clubgoer. I don't care if you think Tony Montana is representative of Cubans as played by an American of Italian descent.

Culture is meant to be shared. To retreat to our respective corners and prevent intermixing is exactly what progressive racists want.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 01:07 AM
link   
So if there's an Asian or African, or Black American (or a character with those traits) that I really like, and I dress up as them for Halloween, All of a sudden, I'm making fun of that person? I'm not doing it for a comedy routine, I'm not trying to monetize it, I just really like that person/character?

No, I don't see the difference. The DIFFERENCE is the INTENTION. If it's offered with honesty and respect how am I mocking that person?
If I dress as a black slave with my friend as a white plantation owner, THAT'S WRONG.
If I am repeating Al Joelson's rendition of blackface and yelling "Mami" all over the place, THAT'S WRONG.

top topics

join