It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little advice before I take the plunge?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

I've actually looked into that, and it may well be in the works in the near future. It's a little out of my forte, so if/when I set that up, I might hit you up for some detailed advice. For now, I get slower but similar functionality through TeamViewer.

I'll definitely need to upgrade my network when I go with a server here.

Thanks again for the advice! It is greatly appreciated!

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I am in love with AMDS tr4 Threadripper.

32 cores 64 pci express lanes.

Raid NVMe.

MSI x399

128 gb memory.

Supports 1 terabyte of memory!

ME want!

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Hahaha, I've already ruined 3 keyboards drooling over that thing!

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

I'm an intel guy too.

That thing would make me turn traitor in heart beat if I had the cash.
edit on 28-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2018 @ 07:22 PM
link   

If I ever get the cash, I will have one!

But Intel will come out with something better soon, don't worry (just at three times the cost). A little while after that, AMD will beat it. A little while after that, Intel will beat it...

Been going on this way for years.

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   
So I priced a new Thread Ripper system. (Newegg)

34" curved ultrawide monitor.

Msi x399 Gaming Pro Carbon

128 gb Ddr4 3600 memory ( G Skill)

3 NVMe raid 2tb

2 6 tb storage for a total of 12 tb's

2 RTX 2080 ti's

Corsair Axi 1200 PSU.

Windows 10 pro Full Version.

Cougar Panzer Max full tower.

Coolermaster 280 AIO.

Came in at $10,750 without building a netgear Nas extra $1,120.

I'd have to sell a kidney.

edit on 29-10-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck

If I ever get the cash, I will have one!

But Intel will come out with something better soon, don't worry (just at three times the cost). A little while after that, AMD will beat it. A little while after that, Intel will beat it...

Been going on this way for years.

TheRedneck

If intel can stay on track for the 10nm process (which there has been some doubt about) it will be a big deal and despite being a bigger number nm it’s actually better lithography and actual transistor size than AMD’s 7nm it should be a nice fight which is good for the consumers.

posted on Oct, 29 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: BigDave-AR

There is research going on right now into a smaller, faster transistor design with an even smaller Rds(on) characteristic. That will be the next big step, and will likely double or triple speed. I knew one of the professors working on it at university.

Guy was one of those who was smart enough to be scary...

TheRedneck

posted on Nov, 1 2018 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Check out full bundle builds @ Newegg.

www.newegg.com...

Add Os and maybe an AIO water cooler.

$791 for a bundle.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I didn't read through the entire thread so if I am repeating I apologize.

First, there are issues using Win 7 with Ryzen cpus. Even if you get the usb to work there may still be issues. Also, Ryzen cpu's do not like ram in excess of 2666. You can use 3000 and you may or may not have issues with it (sub-groups of various manufacturers may or may not work). If you do have issues, just set it to run at 2666 keeping in mind that it may need extra voltage to run properly. The performance difference between 2666, 3000, and 3400 will only be noticeable in two places: 1, in benchmarks, and 2, at full load. I recommend Corsair ram. I did not look at G-skill. Do NOT use Patriot. It is not compatible.

As for the cooler, the 212 evo has some issues with falling behind when pushing the cpu, especially in an oc situation. The ryzen cpu should come with a wraith cooler that actually works pretty good. If it doesn't I recommend a cm 120L liquid cooler. You can probably find one around $60 if you look for it. If you want to go with a fan instead the Dark Rock Pro 3, the CryoRig H7 are both good. The 212 evo will work at the base frequency but won't cut it if you oc. Check your clearances inside the case, especially near the ram to make sure there is room for a larger cooler. This is another reason I like the liquid cooler. The heat transfer is small and you can locate the fan anywhere there is room for good air flow.

Asus is a solid mobo (I won't use anything else) and AMD is my favorite for cpu. I use Sapphire Radeon graphics cards.

posted on Dec, 30 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Ack! I wish you had posted earlier... I just got the last part in yesterday. So I guess I'm stuck...

And to beat it all, I found a heck of a deal on 3200 Patriot RAM... several reviews said it worked well with the Ryzen 5 2600x (just not with the Ryzen 7 2700x), so I went with it. We'll see... I'm starting assembly either tonight or tomorrow. I have to have this thing tested before end of January or I can't return anything that is DOA or faulty... and that includes the 3D printer.

I wound up saving about $200 by getting it during the Christmas sales... and picked up a deal on a 512G M.2 PCIe OS drive (Samsung). I checked my shop machine and everything on C except the personal files is around 300G, so I'll still have plenty of room for expansion and files being worked on.

I also got two Seagate 4TB drives for a RAID1 instead of setting up a RAID5. Somehow, ASUS thought it was a good idea to discontinue support for RAID5... don't anyone ask me why. My shop machine has it.

I'll bear in mind everything you said though... just not a lot I can do about it at this point unless something just doesn't work.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I did some research on the items you ended up purchasing. It looks like there is a Patriot 32g set that will work with your mobo but at 3000. The cpu on the other hand would like to limit the ram to 2933.

For your mobo:
Brand P/N Size Timing Voltage Speed
PATRIOT PV416G300C6K(XMP) 4 * 8GB SS ---- 16-16-16-36 1.35 3000

This was the only Patriot 32 gig set listed on the mobo QVL. Oddly enough, looking at it from the other end Patriot did not list your mobo as compatible.

These cpu's are very sensitive to oc'ing, even the newer generations. BIOS updates have resolved many of the issues but there are still some conflicts with certain components. The problem there is that there really is no such thing as 2666, 3000, 3200, etc. Its all 2133 oc'd at manufacturer specs. That is why when a system generates an oc error it most often defaults the ram speed to 2133 regardless of the BIOS settings. It gets confused and runs home to mama. The issue with the cpu is that you may need to oc the cpu in order to run at higher speeds with the ram. There are a lot of variations and combinations that will result in the same or similar performance. Some of them may work while others may not. That will be trial and error unfortunately.

I didn't find a QVL for the cpu so I can only go by the stated speed preferences but I did see some user comments indicating that some Patriot ram does not work with the Ryzen 5 cpu's. In fact when I bought mine I was told by the seller not to use Patriot ram. Brand name of ram is usually only an issue with mobo's whereas speed conflicts are the concern of the cpu.

You might have the perfect combination, it might need some tweeking, it might send you screaming into the forest. My best advice is pack a bug-out bag before starting the build just in case...But it will be fun :-)

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Well, as I mentioned, I saved some bucks by getting things during the holiday season, as well as making a few substitutions from the original specs. Might be a good idea to re-spec it here for you:

M/B: ASUS RoG Strix B450-F Gaming
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x (6-C 12-T)
RAM: Patriot PV432G320C6K, DDR4 2x16G 3200
SSD: (I was wrong, Adata instead of Samsung): XPG SX6000Pro 512 GB PCIe 3x NAND
RAID1: (2) Seagate 4TB SATA III 7200 ST4000DM004
Cooler: MasterCooler Hyper 212 Evo
PS: Rosewill Photon 750, Gold

As it turns out, I pretty much had to make a few deals to make this work. I still won't have my RAID5... no native support and just too expensive otherwise, so I went with the RAID1 and bigger drives. But I got to upgrade my SSD form SATA III to PCIe, which should be a massive jump in performance. I have an older video card (see below) that fixed that problem... I may need to upgrade later, but it should be plenty to get started with. I was also able to include a card reader.

I got it together last night. I have a 1G PCIe x16 video card in the shop machine that is not being used that I still have to install... the onboard graphics on that machine are plenty for what I use it for. I found my Win7 Ultimate disk, so now all I have to do is dig out a PS/2 mouse and keyboard and I can test out the computer. I have several small WiFi adapters here that I can pick and choose from, since this time I am maybe 20 feet from the router (shop uses the Signal King).

One thing that impressed me was the case... I could not find a full tower case! Despite my memory claiming otherwise, everything I had was micro ATX. So I picked up a ThermalTake case, and I have to admit I am very pleasantly surprised! It uses a rearranged layout, with the PS at the bottom. The built-in chassis fan sits right beside the CPU fan so I'll have a direct push-pull air tunnel through the heat sink. I saw that cooler drop temps in my shop machine from toying in the 70s every time I pushed CPU usage to rarely reaching 50 degrees with 5 of 6 cores pegged at 100%, so needless to say I am a big fan (pun intended). Of course, I still have the Wraith cooler in the box if needed.

And even more pleasantly surprising, the cover closes with that monster fan in it! Barely, but at least it closes. The shop machine case will not.

ASUS' layout was pretty good. Everything was easy to get to, except for the SATA ports. They used right-angle ports stacked in three sets of duals, so that was a bit of a pain. Everything else was easy to get to though. I had some concerns based on reviews about the Seagate drives, but it seemed all the bad reviews centered around somehow refurbished or not-for-resale drives had been shipped as new. I checked the serial numbers on both of mine at the Seagate site before I installed them; both showed full warranty until February 2021. So I should be good there.

ASUS has really gone whole-hog with the RoG stuff... the M/B came with a damn library of "RoG" paraphernalia, right down to an RoG "Do Not Disturb" hanger for a door knob! 200 years from now, when someone finds this machine rusted away in a back room of my place, they will still see the "RoG" plainly splayed across every inch of the MoBo! I'm not going to tell them I bought it for number crunching and likely will never play a single high-performance game on it... it would break their hearts!

Anyway, I'll try to remember to update when I get software loaded. I also got the new board installed in my big TV, so as soon as I get it moved around again and tested, the little 54" should be free to act as my monitor again. I should have the office space this weekend, so it's looking like I'm about done with this little project.

Fingers (toes, legs, eyes) crossed, anyway.

TheRedneck

posted on Dec, 31 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Sounds awesome. I have a B450-plus and I agree, its layed out well and easy to work with. I think you are going to be very pleased with the results. Good luck with the build. I hope it works out for you.

posted on Mar, 6 2019 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I finally found time to put this one together. I like the routing of the cables though one did give me some grief, as you can see, and I still have to tie the rest off better. But overall I like the build and the impression is good. ASUS boards are so easy to work with. I had read several reviews that said the wraith coolers were hard to mount. I had no problems at all. You have to use some common sense and look at it for a minute, but it mounts pretty easily. For a cooler that comes with the CPU I have to say I am impressed with the performance.

edit on 6-3-2019 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   
It may have been said but forget about the onboard GPU and get a dedicated graphics card. Preferbly a Nvidia card so it supports CUDA and then you will be able to use the GPU for MATLAB
www.mathworks.com...
GPU support for CS3 is nill but CS5 is good to go for GPU number crunching....
PoserPro also will benefit from GPU acceleration.

You could load up on a dual thread ripper board and I still bet a single Nvidia Pascel card would beat it in number crunching.

PS. AMD? really? For performance you want an i9 xxxx k version or even better a Xeon or two.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Everything is compatible in that build.

EDIT: Just noticed the timestamp on your post..
edit on 30-4-2019 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2019 @ 07:08 AM
link   
It can be helpful for triple your memory and get a fast as speed as your resources acknowledge.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join