It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

790 yrs of St Francis Canonization

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The peace of God to all that belong to the Light,
Dear Readers

This year it is the 790th anniversary of the official elevation to the altars as a Saint of a man whose message in the Italy of the 13th century was extremely radical, decissively revolutionary and in His time considered as almost schismatic.

Pls check

St Francis of Assisi Biography

St Francis of Assisi is for a sort of a miracle to be celebrated this year by a Pope that is not only the first Jesuit in that position of History but who has chosen to rule with his name.

This Italian Saint with ideas that today may even look as very in the line not just only of the original teachings of Christ but really close to what Mahatma Ghandi, Dalai Lamma or Nhith Thikh Hahn preach caused great turmoil with ideas that questioned completely the social order of his society.

He is credited to be the founder father of at least three Catholic Monastic orders, as well as, to be the pioneer of the Green Movement and the social work in the western civilization.

Canticle of Brother Sun and Sister Moon of St. Francis of Assisi

Most High, all-powerful, all-good Lord, All praise is Yours, all glory, allhonour and all blessings.

To you alone, Most High, do they belong, and no mortal lips are worthy to pronounce Your Name.

Praised be You my Lord with all Your creatures,
especially Sir Brother Sun,
Who is the day through whom You give us light.
And he is beautiful and radiant with great splendour,
Of You Most High, he bears the likeness.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Sister Moon and the stars,
In the heavens you have made them bright, precious and fair.

Praised be You, my Lord, through Brothers Wind and Air,
And fair and stormy, all weather's moods,
by which You cherish all that You have made.

Praised be You my Lord through Sister Water,
So useful, humble, precious and pure.

Praised be You my Lord through Brother Fire,
through whom You light the night and he is beautiful and playful and robust and strong.

Praised be You my Lord through our Sister,
Mother Earth
who sustains and governs us,
producing varied fruits with coloured flowers and herbs.
Praise be You my Lord through those who grant pardon for love of You and bear sickness and trial.

Blessed are those who endure in peace, By You Most High, they willbe crowned.

Praised be You, my Lord through Sister Death,
from whom no-one living can escape. Woe to those who die in mortal sin! Blessed are they She finds doing Your Will.

No second death can do them harm. Praise and bless my Lord and give Him thanks,
And serve Him with great humility.

Today Francis of Assisi is highly respected in the Catholic Church but his thinking is still controversial in many spheres to the point that he is not Considered as Doctor as it is the case of his contemporaries also Italian Saints Albert Magnus and Thomas Achinas.

The thread is open to meditate and discuss the so important philosophical contributions of San Francis, a man born in a relatively wealthy condition in his time but who left all sicial priviledges he was destinated for to lead a drastic change in to return institutional Christianism to the roots of the Gospels message.

Sn Francis Prayer:

Lord make me an instrument of your peace
Where there is hatred let me sow love
Where there is injury, pardon
Where there is doubt, faith
Where there is despair, hope
Where there is darkness, light
And where there is sadness, joy

O divine master grant that I may
not so much seek to be consoled as to console
to be understood as to understand
To be loved as to love
For it is in giving that we receive
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned
And it's in dying that we are born to eternal life
Amen

His principal teaching is perhaps that we come here to this world with a mission assigned to us by God, and it must have priority over all other plan or goal in life: to find the way to serve others in love and be part of the Light of the world, the positive side of things.

Thanks

The Angel of Lightness

edit on 10/21/2018 by The angel of light because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

The last part is certainly what we should all aspire too, the challenge however being all too human.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I was just in Assissi last week... The place is beautiful and the church on a church is gorgeous. Wish I could inbed pictures.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Assisi being a so small town nevertheless gave to the Christendom 3 extremely high figures in mystical aspects, St Francis, St Agnes, St Claire , a holy man and women that leaded spiritually so brilliantly many people to God in the most dark of the dark ages of medieval times.

It took time for the official arrival of Francis to Sanctitood but He was ornated symbolically with the Holy Stigmata by God as a signal of his perfect communion with Jesus Christ.

His message of charity, compassion resounds powerfully from almost 8 hundred years ago today that materialism has extended so much around the world through the merchantil jungle of the global economy.

If his message of return to the essentials of Christ teachings might be really understood by his contemporaries, specially by the high hierarchy, probably the reform turmoil triggered by Martin Luther never had occurred.

Thanks

The Angel of Lightness

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

edit on 10.21.2018 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I really like your posts. They are thoughtful and thought-provoking.

originally posted by: The angel of light
He is credited to be the founder father of at least three Catholic Monastic orders, as well as, to be the pioneer of the Green Movement and the social work in the western civilization.

I had to ask my wife about this one as she's a Catholic. While he was good man; kind and selfless, hence his saint-hood, it's a stretch to attribute his work to the founding of social services and the Greens. Social help was around before the Catholic Church, although I guess monasteries helped formalise and centralise help for the poor and dispossessed in the form of charity and shelter.

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: The angel of light

A true saint or our Lord.
Here is just one of many song adaptations of his prayer.

A more traditional version sung by Filipino singers.

edit on 21-10-2018 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Well, Actually his life, either in teachings and actions, correspond in many aspects with what is called in Theology to be a type of Christ.

St Francis is counted among the most similar Saints in the last 2000 years to Jesus himself or at least his Apostles. Perhaps only St Martin of Porres, or St Father Pius may compete with him in that role.

Types of Christ that occurred at different times of the historic life span of Jesus were for instance the King Priest Melchisedek, Patriarchs Isaac, Moises and Joshua, as well as, the Prophets Joseph, Honas, Samson, Jeremiah.

Pls check
Types of Christ in the Old Testament

The Angel of Lightness

new topics

top topics

join