It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the Terms and Conditions followed any longer?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Serious question here, I was going to ask it in the other post that was just locked so I will ask it here. This site was originally intended and used as a site for intelligent discussion of many different topics including political topics. However, now facts don't matter only emotion.

There are a few examples in the recent topic list of people posting knowingly misleading information but nothing is done even though it is in the T&C's

15). Posting: You will not Post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate. You will not solicit personal information from any member. You will not use information gathered from this website to harass, abuse or harm other people.

Also, is this no longer followed at all?

15g.) Political Baiting: You will not engage in politically-charged rhetoric, politically-inspired name-calling, and related right-versus-left political bickering while Posting in any topical forum or discussion thread on the Websites. You will not alter political candidate names or party affiliations in order to insult or deride the opposition.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackJackal

I am glad you came today after some time as you say
I like your name. It was a little difficult but i am like sleepy now.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:00 AM
link   
NO.

a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin
The free product/service is not free enough, it needs to be freeerer!

I don't think anyone was stopping any of yall from allowing the door to hit your asses on the way out if its such a disconcerting environment for yall.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Is there anything in the T&C's about a member having multiple accounts posting to sway or dominate opinion in threads? It's pretty obvious sometimes more than others.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   
It's the times man. This is basically wanting ATS of old. As as has been said "be the change you want to see." It's fatiguing but worth it.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
An "ignore" function/feature might help everybody's complaints.

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: CADpro
An "ignore" function/feature might help everybody's complaints.

We used to have that...

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

When you see someone breaking T&CS...do you alert the mods? That has always worked for me. True, it may not happen instantly, yet they then do get to the alert and determine if it indeed doesn't meet T&Cs.

Edit add: it is also helpful if you provide the direct link to the post you are actually alerting and not simply a thread generally. Some threads become huge and mods may miss the single offensive post you are upset about. Though, I am sure a mod will be along to remind folks of this for the umpteenth time.
edit on 10 20 2018 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: CADpro

We used to have that feature and I was probably on a few members'
list.

XL5

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It is probably the younger people that have gone off the deep end with emotions and a lack of logic. Old farts don't just wake up one day as a vegan/everyone is welcome type. It gets taught in school! ....black and orange day

posted on Oct, 20 2018 @ 10:21 AM
link   

What's happened is the site has moved with the times. The members are way more interested in politics than anything else. Despite calls to 'ban politics,' it isn't going to happen. There's no practical way to stop people posting about their interests as long as they're within T&Cs. Politics isn't a subject that invites polite discourse; it's essentially a never-ending shouting match predicated on "Yes it is" and "No it isn't."

As for the T&Cs? The site loosened up about five years ago. This is why you'll see "f***" in posts and why we still action full word profanity or smartass spellings of profanities. Political baiting is allowed in PMP and people in there thrive on it all. What many people overlook is politics and therefore political baiting is very much a subjective issue. The tone is still much better than other platforms with fewer insults, no threats, no doxxing, no profanity, no gore etc.

It can't be a parochial tribute site to the politeness of 15 years ago. Times have changed.

Staff constantly debate alerts and form a consensus. The consensus won't please everyone either. It doesn't mean baiting is encouraged; it typically means such and such a post didn't look like baiting to most staff. Conversely, we can action a post and receive emotional alerts and PMs about site bias and victimisation. It's not straightforward and it cannot ever be as long as political rhetoric is so subjective.

Against the steady din of complaints and alleged injustices, the staff do their best to apply the T&Cs on a site they love and respect. It's typically thankless and we're all cool with that. We're not paid and do it because we enjoy the place and have accepted that it can't be frozen in time at the point when we first signed up.

I hope this answer goes some way to explaining why and how ATS has changed.

Thread closed.

new topics

top topics

join