It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80% Of Americans Think Political Correctness Is A National Problem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Now this is interesting. Contrary to the common narrative of 8% of the population and our media, most Americans of all ages, income levels, and racial backgrounds strongly oppose political correctness except progressive activist (which make up the 8%).

thefederalist.com...

Contrary to a common cultural narrative, the poll finds large majorities of Americans of all ages, income levels, and racial backgrounds oppose political correctness, even while 82 percent also think “hate speech” is a problem. This may suggest Americans believe thought and speech censorship is not the best way to address rude and discriminatory behavior.

Opposition to political correctness was higher among Asians (82 percent), Hispanics (87 percent), and American Indians (88 percent) than among white Americans (79 percent). In fact, just about every single demographic studied showed overwhelming objection to political correctness except the Americans the study reporting the poll results identified as “progressive activists.” Progressive activists, the study says, “have an outsized role in political discourse, even though they comprise a small portion of the total population (about 1 in 12 Americans).”

About the 8 Percent of People Who Love PC
“Progressive activists are the only group that strongly backs political correctness: Only 30 percent see it as a problem,” wrote Harvard University lecturer Yascha Mounk in an overview of the poll results at The Atlantic.

Compared with the rest of the (nationally representative) polling sample, progressive activists are much more likely to be rich, highly educated—and white. They are nearly twice as likely as the average to make more than $100,000 a year. They are nearly three times as likely to have a postgraduate degree. And while 12 percent of the overall sample in the study is African American, only 3 percent of progressive activists are. With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

Hidden Tribes: A Study of America’s Polarized Landscape
static1.squarespace.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:31 PM
link   

With the exception of the small tribe of devoted conservatives, progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country. 

Wait what? Are you telling me all this back and forth we are hearing adnosiam about bigotry; is really just a small war between out of tuch white people?

I'd never would have guessed it.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:34 PM
link   
We need to get rid of the people spewing political correctness speeches and comments. Nobody wants to listen to those kind of people, they are using political correctness to supress anyone who does not agree with their beliefs. This is just one of the Adhominum tactics, just a new twist.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Yep.

Unfortunately, a good chunk of that 8% is in position to make the rest of us care whether we want to or not.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   

If I can substitute ‘against’ for ‘between’.I agree with you .

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

If I can substitute ‘against’ for ‘between’.I agree with you .

That would mean only one side is made up of "out of tuch white people" ....

... the research paper in the OP suggests otherwise.
edit on 14-10-2018 by DanDanDat because: Spelling

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
One can call me any number of names...
And most would probably be at least close to the truth
Yet , never politically correct.
I speak my mind no matter what.
Dad always said
" Be yourself. Say what you mean and mean what you say"
And I do.
Amazing how much respect you get from folks when the smoke clears
I love the smell of truth in the morning.Smells like victory.

edit on 10/14/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

An indispensable resource:

lingojam.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

progressive activists are the most racially homogeneous group in the country.

Only white when they want to be.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:10 PM
link   

If everybody was out of touch. How could you gauge what out of touch is unless someone was is in touch? 🤔

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

If everybody was out of touch. How could you gauge what out of touch is unless someone was is in touch? 🤔

Who's talking about "everyone"?

The two small tribes being discussed are a small minority of the whole of the population.

There are plenty of people, from all walks of life, who are not out of tuch with each other. They can be the gauge

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:39 PM
link   

You’re talking about a “small” minority which by the poll had it at around 8% favorability .

Versus

The other 82%

Sorry but there are not two small minorities. There is only one

The amazing thing is that it only takes 8% of the weeping, crying, puppy chasing, crayon eating, safe space hunting social justice warriors to scare everyone else into obeying .

We live in frightening times .
edit on 14-10-2018 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Political correctness is an insult to the idea of free speech and expression. It is also a way to tear down anything that represents your opinion of evil and replace it with something you approve of. That is why revisionist democrats love it.

There is a reboot of the tv show Charmed coming. Guess what? The stars of the show are now latina and one of them is gay. Remaking the original but changing the race of the characters is the same as saying the first one was a mistake, this is the correction. They have to believe its better this way. The effort to enable the change implies a purpose. Why would they make such changes to a show if they didn't think it was better or necessary? Heaven forbid we allow a bunch of fictional white people to stay white. It just can't be permitted in this society.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Say what you mean, and mean what you say... No retractions, no apology.

edit on 14-10-2018 by Plotus because: Say it out loud

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

“Political correctness is tyranny with manners.”

― Charlton Heston

Which is odd when I found the quote online, because when I read an interview about him once I swore that the quote was "political correctness is a polite form of tyranny."

One and the same, I guess...

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I read this article a few days ago, enjoyed it quite a bit.

Thanks for linking it on ATS, everyone needs to take a look at the results of this study.

posted on Oct, 14 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

If you read that study closely you'll see the small minority that dictates everything is the "white educated elite", like college professors or other wealthy types.

They are making a lot of headway into culture because they hold almost all of the power in society, like those who run the tv media or newspapers, those in charge of big corporations, etc.

They create all the policies and rules too by the way.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: muzzleflash

That's what I mean by saying they're in the position to make the rest of us care whether or not we want to.

It's sad because most of us hate it, and that's all of most of us, not just this or that group of most of us.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Great news. More proof the conversation is being dictated by a vocal inquisition, not a majority.

It’s a worldwide problem. No one likes a censor.

posted on Oct, 15 2018 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don't care, personally, at all. Not even just a little bit. I used to listen to what they had to say, until I realized they were spewing talking points

At this point I couldn't give two "cents" less about their divisive, wedge, fringe special interests.

<<   2 >>

join