It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel detains American student for her alleged boycott support

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well, this is an interesting way to counteract a movement, almost seems like it could solidify those who support it.

In a groundbreaking case, Israel has detained an American graduate student at its international airport for the past week, accusing her of supporting a Palestinian-led boycott campaign against the Jewish state.

Lara Alqasem, a 22-year-old U.S. citizen with Palestinian grandparents, landed at Ben-Gurion Airport last Tuesday with a valid student visa. But she was barred from entering the country and ordered deported, based on suspicions she is a boycott supporter.

An Israeli court has ordered that she remain in custody while she appeals. The weeklong detention is the longest anyone has been held in a boycott-related case, and it was not immediately clear on Tuesday when a final decision would be made.

On Tuesday, Erdan floated a possible compromise, saying in a radio interview that he would rethink his decision to expel her if she apologizes and renounces her support for BDS.

"If Lara Alqasem will tomorrow in her own voice, not through all kinds of lawyers or statements that can be misconstrued, say that support for BDS is not legitimate and she regrets what she did, we will certainly reconsider our position," he said.
CBS

I'm surprised they would do this with an American, knowing how much publicity it would get.

If it is a peaceful movement that just protests through words, I would think letting them see your country, and break bread with residents would help bridge the gap towards humanity. Such things often make people at least see things in a different light, and understand all sides to an issue.
edit on 9-10-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
yea this is utter bullsnip. imagine if iran did something similar to an American...

if anyone would know a thing or two about mistreating and persecuting another group of people, you'd think it would be the Jews...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

It would be one thing if she had connections to Hezbollah, but a boycott that mainly university students and artists are part of?

The pettiness of it really shows through when all they want to let this all go is an unequivocal statement from her denouncing the movement. I think that spells out that they know there is absolutely no real threat.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

"If Lara Alqasem will tomorrow in her own voice, not through all kinds of lawyers or statements that can be misconstrued, say that support for BDS is not legitimate and she regrets what she did, we will certainly reconsider our position," he said.

Sounds similar to what North Korea has their Western prisoners do.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to tell us how this is a good thing.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Sounds to me like Israel is keeping out the Soros Anti Semites! Good for Israel! Why would an American go to Israel to stir up BS?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
She arrived at 9:30 AM on October 2. The Israel‘s denied her entry and we’re going to deport her at 6:30 AM October 3. She chose to fight the deportation that’s why she’s in detention.

She could’ve got on a plane and left but an international incident gives her cause more publicity.

It was her choice and nobody else’s .

mondoweiss.net...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

What'd I tell you. Also:

Soros Anti Semites!

What!?

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Sounds to me like Israel is keeping out the Soros Anti Semites! Good for Israel! Why would an American go to Israel to stir up BS?

Her grandparents are Palestinian, so I doubt she needs a check from Soros to warrant an opinion on Israel.

That aside, I think any American has the right to have an opinion on Israel considering we clock in and out each day to send part of our earnings over there.
edit on 9-10-2018 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

While I agree that detaining protestors before they even protest is a bad look. I think your comparison to Iran doesn't hold water.
Anyone trying to get into a country where the Govt openly and often rants about destroying America and killing Americans probably deserves whatever happens to them just for being stupid.
edit on 9-10-2018 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Yea, because..................she's an American.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What'd I tell you. Also:

Soros Anti Semites!

What!?

Soros already proved how he loved selling out his own people. "Happiest time of my life.".

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Well she has a student visa, and is trying to study in Israel.

Considering she is part Palestinian, she probably is looking to learn more about where she came from and what is going on.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

Her grandparents are Palestinian, so I doubt she needs a check from Soros to warrant an opinion on Israel.

That aside, I think any American has the right to have an opinion on Israel considering we clock in and out each day to send part of our earnings over there.

She could have boycotted Israel from the good ole USA. But no, the idiot chose to travel to a foreign nation and talk snip about how horrible they are on their own soil.

Attention whore who found out SJW activism, doesn't fly in countries who defend their sovereignty.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

In Israel (or any other country, really) your "rights" are determined by their rules, not America's rules--nor yours. Your reasoning here is laughable anywhere else.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   

That's like your opinion man.

My grandparents on one side came from Italy, so I kind of have a thing for things related to such.

Just find it interesting you are so in line with people being silenced....

Who's paying you? The Koch brothers? You one of those tea party guys? /s

Seriously though, when a nation is so concerned with people having an outspoken opinion of them that they have to bar and deport people who just say don't buy their products, maybe there is something to it.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

In Israel (or any other country, really) your "rights" are determined by their rules, not America's rules--nor yours. Your reasoning here is laughable anywhere else.

I was responding to someone asking why an American would even have an opinion on the issue. I didn't say anything about being able to do it there.

I've never said anywhere what they are doing is illegal, I just think it's petty and fickle.

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   

edit on 9-10-2018 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Israel doing the do...
While the US just lets the loons run free...

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Israel doing the do...
While the US just lets the loons run free...

Damn those silly US freedoms!

posted on Oct, 9 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Well, it just goes to prove Israel is spying on the US and making lists of our citizens. Pretty sure she wasn't on the flight passing out boycot information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join