It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any tips on how to train a dog?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I want to train my dog but I do not know how, is there a tool in training dogs?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Nicolita

On YouTube, look up "Peter Caine Dog Training." The guy is weird and an asshole, but he has GREAT demonstration videos. He does NOT use food in training though, so if you want to use food, you'll have to look up other trainers.

I trained two of my dogs using treats. Worked just fine, but this guy thinks using food to train is the worst thing on the planet.

That will get you started. What kind of dog do you have?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   

There is a lot to work out. What kind of dog do you have and how old is it? Do you have a house with a yard? Or an apartment?

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nicolita

What type of training specifically?

House training?

Guard work?

Bad habits?

Coming when called?

Fetching?

It really depends on what you are trying to do...

I've found with my dogs that positive reinforcement worked the best.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Can you explain some more please? because To say " train my dog " is very vague ... What exactly are you looking for ,And correct training depends on several factors ---
-what type of dog you have ?
- age of dog ?
- surrounding environment ?
- what type of training so you want ?
( guard dog, protection , kid friendly , cat friendly , basic commands , not to chew your stuff , house train ) .
- do you have your own yard to train in?
please give some more info on your dog so we can help ...!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Positive reinforcement and consistency. Get a kennel have it sleep in there at night you will be thankful for a kennel trained dog. My pugs like to come to bed with the wife and I but they don’t fuss or wine when I say it’s kennel time because we got them used to it as puppies. I don’t even close the door anymore haven’t had to for years and years.

Be consistent and don’t beat your dog.

edit on 1-10-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Your dog needs to understand that you are the boss but that you are his friend above all. Once you establish that, the rest is just repetition and rewarding good behavior.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I was once in a Petsmart where a supposed trainer was trying to train a dog to the leash. The dog was hyper and dragging the owner all over the store and the so called trainer had nothing to help control the dog. Treats are just one method to train but discipline is the key. The dog has to know who is the boss. If the owner had shortened the leash and jerked hard on it a few times the dog's attention would have been diverted from what is going on in the store and directed it to the person holding the leash. You have to let the dog know who is boss and pay attention to you.... If the dog obeys, indeed, give a treat but not until you assert yourself as the master and the dog realizes it. That's a good start to training. Assert your authority and dominance. If you don't, lord help you.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Your eyes voice and body language...that's all you need...mixed with liberal amounts of love.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all

Your eyes voice and body language...that's all you need...mixed with liberal amounts of love.

BS!

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:20 PM
link   
What I learned...

1) Definitely crate train the dog... makes house training way easier.

2) Positive reinforcement. When dog goes outside, reward. When dog does whatever it is you want, reward. Consistency is the key.

3) Be the leader. Your dog has to know who is in charge. This is especially true for working class or larger dogs.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlesT

originally posted by: one4all

BS!

All animals can be trained the same ways....using the same methods.....of course to differing degrees.
I have been training animals domestic and wild most of my life and I even spent time working at a Zoo.Any methods other than those I suggested are inferior and a sign of an underexperienced perspective...irregardless as to how many animals they may have allegedly trained or how many years they have spent doing so.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Get the dog and yourself in basic obedience class.

You need a pro.

Walk your dog daily.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Be a parent and make it feel loved and nerver hit it.. Work for mine

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I could have sworn that pets train us. We are trained to provide them with food and water and take them for a walk so they can go pee on things or poop and we have to pick it up and put it in a poop bag. You may think you are training a dog but in essence they are learning how to manipulate you. They train us to give them a treat when they give paw or sit. We believe we are training them, but we are a delusional race of beings.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

On YouTube, look up "Peter Caine Dog Training." The guy is weird and an asshole, but he has GREAT demonstration videos. He does NOT use food in training though, so if you want to use food, you'll have to look up other trainers.

I trained two of my dogs using treats. Worked just fine, but this guy thinks using food to train is the worst thing on the planet.

That will get you started. What kind of dog do you have?

The man was raped by a friggin Bigfoot, cut him some slack.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:21 PM
link   

There is a tool for training dogs . It is the without a doubt the most important tool that you will have to incorporate into their training .

It’s called patience.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Just like with children, be CONSISTENT in your chosen method. You mix it up and are inconsistant - you'll just have a confused dog that runs all over you.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I thought you needed 20 posts before you can make a thread.

OP has only 8.

Did management change things?

Lastly, where oh where did the OP go after writing this exhaustive opening post?

P

posted on Oct, 2 2018 @ 02:39 AM
link   

First, what breed of dog do you have? That can make a world of difference in how to train in and to know what you've signed on for.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join