It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He Took Home Documents to Catch Up on Work at the N.S.A. He Got 5½ Years in Prison

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:49 PM
link   
ed snowden ate my homework

BALTIMORE — As a Vietnamese immigrant with imperfect English, Nghia H. Pho felt he was falling behind his fellow National Security Agency software developers in promotions and pay. So in 2010, after four years on the job, he began taking highly classified documents to his Maryland home to get extra work done at night and on weekends in an effort to improve his performance evaluations.

Uhh. Sure buddy.
This article seems like it's just trying to paint the NSA as a bunch of buffoons.

The story does not pass the smell test for many reasons

1. Poor english for a natsec job?
2. nobody noticed top secret docs being smuggled off site?
3.he stored top secret docs on his unsecured pc which was allegedly hacked by the ruskies.

But in the five years that Mr. Pho, 68, stored the material on his insecure home computer, officials believe it was stolen by Russian hackers using the antivirus software installed on the machine. Mr. Pho worked for the N.S.A.’s hacking unit, then known as Tailored Access Operations, and his cache is believed to have included both hacking tools and documentation to go with it

Cmon no such agency , youre lookin soft.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

If he worked for the NSA then he knew exactly what he was doing when he brought the secret information to his home.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

I think the word you are looking for is patsy.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   
2 people come to mind when the year 2010 is mentioned.

And it ain't Bonnie and Clyde.

💥😎💥

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Kinda funny when you think about the fact they accuse the Russians of stealing the documents through the antivirus software on his home computer that the US government also was using at the time of the incident.
edit on 25-9-2018 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
link   
He should have just set up a home server in his bathroom and forwarded the information to himself.

Also, what was his "intent". Classified doesn't always mean classified.

link   
Well, in fairness his excuses sound more plausible than Hillary's.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 09:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ausername
Well, in fairness his excuses sound more plausible than Hillary's.

Sadly...

He will be prosecuted.

Hillary won't.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Well, maybe he should have done a better job of opening a non profit and positioning himself as a supplier of third world child sex slaves for global elites if he wanted to weather such a storm.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MisterSpock

Well, maybe he should have done a better job of opening a non profit and positioning himself as a supplier of third world child sex slaves for global elites if he wanted to weather such a storm.

The same could be said of operating a private server that contained Top Secret information...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Double post

edit on 25-9-2018 by madmac5150 because: 2X

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Or, maybe he didn't pay enough to the Clintons to weather such a storm....

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

You guys should double-post more often, because sometimes
double starring the examples of a double standard ain't half enough!

Now that the regurgitus has been flushed back down with cheap lager,
I find it difficult to fathom this defense lawyer isn't yet appealing on
... wait for it ... The Hillary Precedent. I intend
to watch what shakes out from this one though, thanks 4 the heads-up.

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie

originally posted by: madmac5150

You guys should double-post more often, because sometimes
double starring the examples of a double standard ain't half enough!

Now that the regurgitus has been flushed back down with cheap lager,
I find it difficult to fathom this defense lawyer isn't yet appealing on
... wait for it ... The Hillary Precedent. I intend
to watch what shakes out from this one though, thanks 4 the heads-up.

You never go a$$ to mouth...

posted on Sep, 25 2018 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Sold it to China.
Period.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This article explains a bit more:

Pho stands out among recent NSA leak culprits in that he specifically worked as a developer for TAO, which would have brought him into contact with a diverse array of sensitive NSA data, systems, and materials. One would also have thought an elite programmer focused on developing advanced hacking tools would know better than to put classified data at risk by transporting it to his house."It's not a mistake that's supposed to be common," says David Kennedy, the CEO of TrustedSec, who formerly worked at the NSA and with the Marine Corps' signal intelligence unit. "Lax practices, for sure. Classified data is highly sensitive and shouldn't be able to be removed. It shows that TAO didn't have good controls over that data.

www.wired.com...

Bolding is mine. Looks like he was sentenced today to 66 months:

Former National Security Agency employee Nghia H. Pho was sentenced to 66 months in prison Tuesday for taking home highly classified NSA …

Don't they go through an orientation process where rules and protocol are specifically explained? Why does this stuff keep happening?

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I actually saw a Captain who left some Secret documents on his office desk while he went to the bath room. His office no one else was stationed in the office and the office was inside a very secure building with barbed Constantia wire...

The S2 Gestapo unfortunately came by and saw the material unsecured on his desk and not in the office safe. I do not remember if he lost his clearance or was reprimanded (maybe both).. Usually when that kind of screw up happened you would get a "0" on your OER (officer efficiency report) and were drummed out of the service shortly there after. I saw that happen to another Captain who said to his wife he was happy because we had saved someone's life in Laos..

National security agency is one of the most distasteful, your are surrounded by paranoid idiots with hard written rules that S2 is constantly looking for some rule infraction....it is an assignment that I had for 15 months before I could get out of there . Never lost my clearance and never got into trouble but....I hated the atmosphere as I felt I was surround by to many paranoid CYA Idiots. The NSA types can think of stuff a normal person would never think of so for that they are valuable... But I feel sorry for any country where the NSA types take over the deep state.... kinda like the NDAA and other ramifications waiting in the wings of NSA and their like minded subsidiaries...

I smiled and counted the days for my grand exit..

The guy in the article is an idiot if he took secure stuff out of the secure area ... Usually you have to sign out what you have and what time it leaves and is returned.. When you work there you are briefed on what you can do and what you can not do. Play the game and you stay out of trouble or don't play their game and you will get burned..pretty much guaranteed..

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
Play the game and you stay out of trouble or don't play their game and you will get burned..pretty much guaranteed..

Sh%#! that brought it all back....

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Sleeper cell. He got less than he deserved.

posted on Sep, 26 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

2. nobody noticed top secret docs being smuggled off site?

There are random searches on exit from secure establishments to act as a deterrent but you can't search everyone.

edit on 26/9/2018 by tommyjo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join