It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Durham Northern Relief Road Vanity Bridge Project

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 09:05 AM
link   
A plan is afoot to construct a vanity bridge up to 78 metres tall to the right centre in this photograph.
www.webbaviation.co.uk...

If constructed it would be the most visibly intrusive object in the area. From Penshaw Monument, Durham Cathedral, and the hills all around the eye would be immediately drawn to the pylon and cable array.

I contend that the proposed bridge is nothing more than a vanity project, the funding has already been secretly assured, and the public are being railroaded.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

a bit of context - will assist this tail greatly - as few people on ATS have any idea what you is talking about

oh - and why you think the bridge proposal is - to quote " a vanity bridge "

the area NEEDS at least one bypass - with 2 PLUS upgrades to existuing routes being prefered [ for long term sustainability ]

so - how would you do it - without the bridge you object too ??????????????

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

There's a more sensible route downstream that crosses land owned by an influential family. Oddly, that route hasn't been considered. Also odd is the lack of clear public information showing exactly how visually intrusive the bridge could be.

It's a vanity bridge because it isn't needed if the sensible route is used. There are several famous bridges on the Tyne. I suspect someone wants to put Durham on the fancy bridge map.

[Apologies for the lack of time for a thorough presentation, people die, stuff has to be sorted, etc. etc.]

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

How about we demolish those other two visually-intrusive vanity projects - Penshaw Monument and Durham Cathedral?

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: lacrimoniousfinale

Penshaw Monument is a strange masonic temple with a blood drain in the centre for the sacrifices. Durham Cathedral was built by my people under the sword of the Norman B'stards.

Here's a sledgehammer, I'll keep watch.

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   

I believe you are correct Kester, this is likely a method to ensure money changes hand's under the table while a useless and ugly bridge is placed to blight what is an undeniably beautiful part of the landscape of Durham.
Forgive me I would happily demolish the pagan monument but the Cathedral is world famous and one of the most historic in the country in spite of the Norman's involvement, also before they ever got here Durham had a long history of Christianity even when the Danes were ransacking it.

It may be worth raising a petition and seeking Unesco backing as if the bridge is going to be a blight then it is then an undeniable threat to the city's Unesco status and Unesco may have something to say on the matter not that they really have much sway - but they can at least garner SOME political pressure on your local MP and local council to perhaps block the plan - of course not easy when money has likely already changed hand's under the table.

And for those that still wonder why the north of England still hates' the Norman's.
historytavern.blogspot.com...

posted on Sep, 23 2018 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I fell on the English of the northern shires like a ravening lion. I commanded their houses and corn, with all their implements and chattels, to be burnt without distinction, and great herds of cattle and beasts of burden to be butchered whenever they are found.
historytavern.blogspot.com...

Recently, as I looked up in the cathedral stone quarry, I heard a voice from long past. It said, "I've been here before. Only this time I'm not getting out." I believe my people were held captive in Kepier Gorge and made to work the quarries.

Unesco. I'll put my best man onto it.

posted on Oct, 19 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Kester, you are entirely correct in your assumption: it is nothing but territorial pissing.

A campaign against the road (and its partner, the Western Relief Road) is under way at durhamroadblock.wordpress.com...

Ignorant Ape, an important thing to remember is that new roads don't work. They always encourage more people to travel by car, thus generating more traffic, so that within a few years congestion is as bad as before. Only, with greater amounts of greenhouse gases and air pollutants. And the IPCC says we've got twelve years to change our ways.

Durham really needs to take sustainable transport more seriously and focus on cycling, walking and public transport.

top topics

join