It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi TV Airs Tape of Purported Syrian Confession

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Iraqi state television has aired a video in which it claims is the confession of a Syrian officer. The captured officer explains how trained insurgents to build car bombs, behead hostages, and attack U.S. and Iraqi forces. The government of Syria could not be reached for comment. The officer identified as Lt. Anas Ahmed al-Essa of the Syrian intelligence service, indicated that his groups mission was to cause chaos and hamper American efforts to reach Syria. The claims made by the man have not been authenticated.

story.news.yahoo.com
BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraqi state television aired a video Wednesday showing what the U.S.-funded channel said was the confession of a captured Syrian officer who said he trained Iraqi insurgents to behead people and build car bombs to attack American and Iraqi troops.

The video also showed an Iraqi who said the insurgents practiced beheading animals to train for decapitating hostages.

Syrian officials could not immediately be reached for comment on the claims.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While this may be true, some serious investigation is required. Such as the condition of the man when he made this confession. With a gun pointed to your head, I think many of us would say whatever. The possibility also exists that this is "Gulf of Tonkin" type play to drum up support to make a move on SYria. However, I doubt that that is the case. The current progress between Palistine and Isreal, not to mention the potential withdrawal of Syria from Lebanon, will help to contain the country. An invasion may simply not be needed.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Suspicious Story, But Not Earthshaking

I'll just assume this guy is speaking under duress and give no credence to any of it. I don't have to.

News outlets that report on things other than just the U.S. body count and the latest Abu Ghraib outrages have been telling us about Syria's support for the insurgency since the beginning.

Everyone knows Syria is dirty as hell, so allegations like these are suspect not for their content, but for the motives of making them public.

I call "Propaganda!"

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Nice going Fredt.. I psoted for the first time earlier but did not give the initial detail you did. Found this listed two other places as well

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   

The current progress between Palistine and Isreal, not to mention the potential withdrawal of Syria from Lebanon, will help to contain the country. An invasion may simply not be needed.

If "containment" was all Bush wanted, we'd have never gone into Iraq. Saddam was "contained". Bush wants "regime change", not "containment" for terrorist supporters.

While I applaud the idea, I don't approve of his methods or transparent propaganda, and there ARE ways to get the rest of the world on your side with such a plan...but he seems to be too impatient, or just too dumb, to play that game....

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree with you on his methods and hastiness. What do you think he is working to accomplish on his "European Trip"?

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   

The video also showed an Iraqi who said the insurgents practiced beheading animals to train for decapitating hostages.

Brilliant tactic, dehumanises the enemy.

I think that as a stand alone this is pretty meaningless, tho if he is a syrian officer, the very fact that he is in iraq is meaningful. Either way seems to require further investigation. I doubt the results of said investigation will be revealed until after the fact, if it does lead to war.

new topics

top topics

join