It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help with Windows 10 blue screen of death

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   
So the tech guys first reaction is it may be the hard drive going bad because it is old and recently I have been recording a lot of video to it

But he is going to go over it and only charge me 15 dollars, then give me a call before he works on anything

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I fix all my friends PC's, not because I like it but because I know how to. It's easy when you know how. It's also the only thing I know. Most people look at the inside of a PC like I look at the inside of a car engine. Scared and clueless. I know where the key goes. 15 bucks sounds reasonable.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Yeah I'm gonna say it's hardware and probably the hard drive. Especially if it's a mechanical hard drive. If it was software that probably wouldn't stop it from running in safe mode.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Yeah that was probably gonna be my next thread recommendations on a new laptop

Mac.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry

Mac.

Yeah I mean get a hipster overpriced POS and all your problems will vanish.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Mac.

Yeah I mean get a hipster overpriced POS and all your problems will vanish.

Mostly, yes.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

I disagree.

Plus who wants to look like a giant # every day?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I disagree.

Feel free to disagree.

I'm simply speaking from experience.

Not using a better piece of equipment simply because one is concerned with "image" is just downright silly.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I dont use macs cuz they suck, ya silly goose.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:37 PM
link   

I disagree.

Feel free to disagree.

Not using a better piece of equipment simply because one is concerned with "image" is just downright silly.

Except it's not. The hardware is barely comparable to other premade machines.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 04:39 PM
link   

BSoD are typically a hardware failure and with it a hex decimal and even on occasion a reference to the failure.

Given that it posts, the HDD is the likely culprit. Possibly a fan.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Probably crashed here on ATS from too many ads.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:42 PM
link   

I dont use macs cuz they suck, ya silly goose.

I don't use (any longer) anything with a MS OS because they suck, hence my point.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I disagree.

Feel free to disagree.

Except it's not. The hardware is barely comparable to other premade machines.

Except it is as a unit. OS + hardware generally outlasts and with fewer problems.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 08:55 PM
link   

That must be why they have the most market share? Naaaa

My machines generally don't fail. Nor do any that I maintain.

There is nothing worth the money, other than aesthetics, that the mac has to offer over a PC. Even then it's all opinion.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Rats.. Toshiba Satellite... I have two of them dead in the Man Cave, and, they died without any warning signs at all, except one smells like a beer ...... Luckily, I got them free. Used them as a desktop replacement running Mint/Linux - so - no skin in the game.

I thought RAM because of the re-cycling... Boot up, Windows starts, and a short while later it recycles again... over and over and over... regardless of Safe Mode or not. RAM.

Spinning Hard Drives tend to park and you hear the gate crash.. ka... ka... ka... ka... but most systems are Solid State HD and are purely chip. They just die... no excuses or can I's... dead. On and working, shut down and they never come back.

You're getting Windows to popup still, that's telling, but, then it fails... RAM, or, your overheating from a wad of Cat Hair in the fan screens.

I would love to see the event logs but W10 won't stay running long enough so have fun perusing MS's multitudes of BS Microsoft feels like spewing... if they do allow a run into the event logs then look for Kernel Power Fails- which can point to battery or Power Supply and sometime the CPU, or thermal events... overheating.

edit on 20-9-2018 by Newt22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Is that what you tell yourself so you don't feel like a schmuck at the apple store?

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I only have windows, know nothing about macs. Windows has a feature called system restore that lets you revert the system back to a time it worked ok. It's good for a driver problem or a bad update if you can get the machine to run long enough to try it. Sometimes you need to boot off of the install disk. You can also use a thumbdrive for antivirus scans if you suspect something like that. Most companies let you download this stuff for free.

posted on Sep, 20 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm leaning towards RAM issues, when the Hard Drive goes bad there are normally 'warning signs'.

Such signs can be: slow transfer speeds(during 'copy-paste' for example), noise(clicks) or excessive heat.
If the computer just became unstable out of the blue, RAM or driver issues are the most likely culprit.

There is a distinct posibility that the CPU may have gone bad(extremely rare for a laptop) or a clogged/not working fan causing overheating.

Power supply issues, very rare for a laptop due to the fact that it just stops charging if it does not register the necessary voltage in the DC input. No BSOD.

Bad Battery causing some sort of short in the circuit, a posibility but easy to test by removing said battery.

posted on Oct, 22 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Wow I just realized that i forgot to update everyone on what happened.

So i am a tech novice (thats being gracious) but I will try my best to describe wht the tech guy told me.

He said I was having to major problems.

As I read, much of the problem was that I had kind of the wrong drivers and such insatlloed, and so they all needed to be installed or updated.

However, this was not possible because the bigger problem, which was that there is some sort of small battery or something that will sht your computer down if its broke, which is was. So even though my charger is working and my computer was plugged in, the computer kept reseting, thus not giving me time to do a factory restore.

Its been over a month since the repair, and I have only seen the blue screen again once.

Guy charged me $80, which I found reasonable.

Thanks to all of those that tried to help me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join