It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does sunscreen cause skin cancer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
This topic has been floating around for several years.
The more I read about the more I think there is some truth to it.

www.melanoma.org...
"Sunscreen and Vitamin D
Vitamin D, which is produced in the skin after sun exposure, is known to improve bone health and reduce the risk of certain cancers. Getting an adequate amount of vitamin D is dependent on these three tactics: 1) eating foods that contain vitamin D, 2) taking a vitamin D supplement, and 3) getting a small amount of sun exposure. Please note: you do not need to tan or burn your skin to produce vitamin D."

If anything I think the article above really does prove sunscreen can cause skin cancer and other cancers by limiting vitamin D. It says you don't need to tan or burn. You can go outside and get vitamin D without doing either. Many people have problems getting enough D in food too. It's not a vitamin, it's a hormone and sun is the most natural way to get it.

I've talked to people that have had melanoma and several of them have had it in areas that never see the sun.
My relatives doctor actually told him that melanoma can be caused by lack of sun.

If you look at the countries with the highest incidents of skin cancer, they really aren't very sunny places.
www.wcrf.org...

Here is another question, I don't ever remember growing up hearing of people that had skin cancer. Did people just live with it. Did they not know.

I know there are people that say, oh this study that study etc. but you can have studies that pretty much say anything.
Look at this one, it says sunscreen may not prevent anything.
www.reuters.com...
This study, done in Australia, monitored about 1,600 people for more than four years and didn’t find a meaningful difference in the number of new cancer cases detected based on whether people used sunscreen every day or only occasionally.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:29 PM
link   
My first question is why would you use sunscreen all the time?

I only use it if I know I'm going out for prolonged exposure to direct, angry sunlight because I hate the way it makes me feel - greasy and gross. If I"m not putting myself in a situation where I'm going to be burned, then I don't bother with it.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes.

Three-quarters of U.S. teens and adults are deficient in vitamin D, the so-called "sunshine vitamin" whose deficits are increasingly blamed for everything from cancer and heart disease to diabetes, according to new research.

The trend marks a dramatic increase in the amount of vitamin D deficiency in the U.S., according to findings set to be published tomorrow in the Archives of Internal Medicine. Between 1988 and 1994, 45 percent of 18,883 people (who were examined as part of the federal government's National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey) had 30 nanograms per milliliter or more of vitamin D, the blood level a growing number of doctors consider sufficient for overall health; a decade later, just 23 percent of 13,369 of those surveyed had at least that amount.

Scientific American

I do agree with Ketsuko in that by itself it isn't a carcinogen. Hopefully.

However, going out in the spring in a bikini to spend the day under the sun might be... stupid.

Moderation!!!!

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I agree with moderation. I also wonder if migration/resettlement etc. has caused some of it. When you take a fair skinned people and put them in a very sunny high uv place, what is expected to happen?

I lived in Florida for a while. It always amazed me when very very fair people would come vacationing, and felt they could get a years worth of tan in a few day. The result was not attractive. What always made me angry were the kids that were covered in blisters.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I dont know if it could cause cancer, it has a lot of dimethicone. It could cause breakouts.
I can vouch for its efficacy as I have protected my face since I was fourteen and at 61 I have no wrinlkes. Smooth forehead no crows feet no lines around my mouth and I smoked for forty years. I dont smoke any more.
I think it works. My younger sister is a prune because she would slather on oil and lay out for hours. There was a strip near the base of her spine that was so dark it was almost charcoal color and shes a natural platinum blonde. We're Italian decent and tan easily. I do spray tan and bronzer for that glowy look.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I never thought of sunscreen blocking out vitamin D. I spend a lot of time outdoors. I hike, I garden, I go to the beach.
but I cover my skin.
I do drink milk every day and I always have taken vitamins though not as regular as I should but they are always there available when I remember. LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Next should be a thread on vitamins, and how they are useless. (absorption is the main issue)

But to each his/her own - it's a big business.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I hate this crap. There is no way normal, even heavy daily use of sunscreen is going to cause cancer. You would have to swim in a vat of it 24/7 for years. It’s the same fear mongering over aspartame and whichever red dye it was that got banned. They jam pack a bunch of lab rats with concentrations an order of magnitude higher than its even physically possible to use normally and then act like that means jack # for humans just using a normal amount now and then.

Even then, even if you did live in that vat of sunscreen, I bet you still wouldn’t get cancer any faster than someone getting sunburnt all the time.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I have thought a lot about this over the past several years.

It just seemed odd to me that someone would use something to block the suns light. In the ads I have seen, they talk about how sun screen blocks out the rays which gives you a burn so you can stay in the sun longer. It does not block out the rays which penetrate the skin and does damage to the lower layers. It has also been shown that even when the sky is cloudy, the more harmful rays penetrate the clouds. So it is wise to be mindful of this also.

So without being able to know when it is time to get out of the sun, because you are beginning to burn, you can stay out longer and let you skin soak up more of the rays which can cause harm. Its kind of like carrying more weight into deeper water so you can drown faster.

The sun block may not, and likely doesn't, cause skin cancer. It does allow a person to subject themselves to the more harmful rays over a longer period of time.
edit on 11-9-2018 by tinymind because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: OneArmedBandit

Are you so sure about that?
www.cancer.ca... on=on

Are they safe?
A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.

A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.

Scientists are also looking at whether people who use sunscreen have lower vitamin D levels, which may increase the risk of developing cancer.

Read more: www.cancer.ca... on=on#ixzz5QpMow5YZ

When you really think about it, you are putting a chemical on your skin. Just like if you put lime juice on your skin, and go out into the sun, you will basically cook your skin. It is a chemical reaction. You are saying you don't think any reaction could possibly take place. I think that is very naive thinking.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If You look at the ingredients of many sunscreens, a lot of them contain alcohol and this form of alcohol dries the skin. I had lesions on My left arm in a triangle shape. I had an epiphany and I stumbled across "Ayurveda" at that time I was on 7 Rx medications. A little while later I got rid of the 2 hypertension, 1 for PTSD, high cholesterol and the prescribed nightmare Ambien™..

Coconut Oil is 'key' and You slather it every where You can slather it. I've added CBD oil with Lavender and Coconut Oil and run that at night. Mornings get organic Coconut oil ..

It should be noted that I go out on the bass boat about 5x a week and go 'topless' (bald head to boot) and My skin just glistens.. It shines so much I got asked by 2 French Ladies (Mom; Daughter) if they could feel My skin and I was just walking into a little shoppe in Linlithgow, Scotland..

It'll also keep You hydrated

I tried to link a story about the guy who cured His Mother's skin cancer with Coconut Oil and Baking Soda but it wouldn't allow it??

Stay Hydrated...

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   

I must say that the premise of your question is kinda null. Obviously anything can give one cancer. As for using sunscreen, that may make the process faster than one would like.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Not to get off track....

BUTT...

Vitamin D is 'the Why' behind the query "Why do dogs lay in the sun?"

Interesting 'nugget'...

You know when the dog is going around in circles looking for a place to drop a deuce? They are looking for where the 'energy' is greater from Mother Earth. You could actually lay out a grid of Ley Lines just on dog poop....

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
maybe we won't need sunscreen that much in the future, we will still burn I guess.

not sure what cancer sunscreen causes but in prolly 5-19 years we will not have to worry about one.

A new cancer vaccine shown to be 100 pecent effective in mice with aggressive melanoma

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: JimNasium

Not to get off track....

BUTT...

Vitamin D is 'the Why' behind the query "Why do dogs lay in the sun?"

Interesting 'nugget'...

You know when the dog is going around in circles looking for a place to drop a deuce? They are looking for where the 'energy' is greater from Mother Earth. You could actually lay out a grid of Ley Lines just on dog poop....

Not to get really off topic, but they are grounding themselves at the same time.

Go barefoot, live longer.

posted on Sep, 11 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Like this?

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: CovertAgenda

Eggs actly!

new topics

top topics

join