It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well we had the strongest typhoon now in the last 25 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This one landed north of us and all got was mild winds for a day and a half, but north of us took a real beating. Like 2 meters waves coming a shore.
Over 1 million people were advised to evacuate as heavy winds and rains started picking up, Reuters reports, citing the fire and disaster management agency. The authorities have already issued evacuation orders for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Hyogo, Kagawa, Ehime, and Wakayama prefectures in the southwest of the country, with government spokesman Yoshihide Suga urging the public to “evacuate early.”

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I've experienced tornados several times and even felt an earthquake once, "that's unusual in indiana".
But I've never been near a hurricane.
I'm not sure that's one for the bucket list or one to be avoided at all costs.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I've experienced tornados several times and even felt an earthquake once, "that's unusual in indiana".
But I've never been near a hurricane.
I'm not sure that's one for the bucket list or one to be avoided at all costs.

It's one to be avoided ...I'm still Homeless from Hurricane Irma in the Florida keys ... Last September 10 2017.... Still trying to rebuild .... Trust me , it's not good .

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:25 AM
link   

I've lived through four hurricanes, they are not fun indeed and I've never been in stronger than cat 3. Isn't typhoons stronger than hurricanes, or they are the same only called different in your part of the globe?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   
OP ...I'm glad your safe and didn't get much ... Water can be real destructive force . And the after mold is horrible... Don't get me wrong ,as Wind can be destructive too...especially the tornados that come with a typhoon or hurricane .... My grandfather used to say in a storm ....., " it's not the wind from a storm that will kill you , it's what's flying around in the wind that will kill you . "

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

I've lived through four hurricanes, they are not fun indeed and I've never been in stronger than cat 3. Isn't typhoons stronger than hurricanes, or they are the same only called different in your part of the globe?

They are the same ... All Are 75 miles per hour or more ... But Located in different parts of globe . Hurricanes are in the Atlantic and north east pacific ..... Typhoons are east pacific and Asia area .... And cyclones are Indian Ocean area .... If I remember correctly ,The rotation is different on the Cyclones... I think ? ...I know Hurricanes and typhoons spin counter clockwise , and I think the Cyclones spin the other way , clockwise .
edit on 4-9-2018 by Meldionne1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It all depends on what you are used to, I grew up in Florida spent 24 years there had been through more than I care to count I can recall being concerned 1 time (Andrew).

I remember me and my sister playing outside while the eye was passing over our location, the average hurricane unless you are on the wrong side of it (side typically dictates how bad you get it) is no worse than a heavy thunderstorm.

Tornados still freak me out and I have spent a decade in Oklahoma, cause you can prepare for a hurricane and be caught by surprise with a tornado.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Location, location, location..

Pacific- typhoon
Atlantic- hurricane
Indian- cyclone
Arctic- unicorn

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Location, location, location..

Pacific- typhoon
Atlantic- hurricane
Indian- cyclone
Arctic- unicorn

Is that why all these powerful people are going to the arctic?
Are they unicorn hunting?

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Glad that you are safe musicismagic! I hope that those who are asked to evacuate actually do evacuate. You always hear stories of those who remain thinking a storm won't be as bad as they say, then they need to be rescued.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

You don't want to be. I've seen tornados, thankfully I was far enough away to go around it, I've been through earthquakes, and I'd just as soon not do that again, thanks...

I got caught in a Siberian Express storm on the Bering Sea--120 mph winds, freezing spray, etc... We wound up having to run into Soviet waters to get clear of it. Came as close to dying that day and night as I ever have. Finally got clear, and were breaking off the ice build up...still don't know how we didn't capsize...?

Then we got to see a Soviet Navy aircraft fly over us a few times. This was four years after the Korean Air shootdown, and things were still...umm, touchy with the Soviet military in the area of the Bering Sea.

The missiles hangin' on those wings were for real...as soon as it was out of sight, we floored it. Didn't know old fishing boats could go that fast!!

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I have been through two earthquakes, three tornadoes, and one hurricane. I don't advise any of them up close. Fortunately for me the earthquakes were small but big enough to drive home the meaning of the word earth-quake. The hurricane was frightening because of the noise, the power, and the fact that it just doesn't stop. Two of the tornadoes went overhead without touching down. The third one was about one minute ahead of me and it did touch down. That was Plainfield, Il 1990. i was on my way to a friends house and there was debris still in the air when I got there. It missed his house by less than half a city block. There was a snowmobile in his front yard and a chevy engine in his back yard, neither of which belonged to him. It was the worst disaster I have ever seen firsthand. I would rather not see it again.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I grew up in FL, been through the '06 Gulf of Mexico quake. 6-pointer, but no big deal, really. Just jarring and unsettling for a region that doesn't get them more frequently than every few decades, no damage done. Been through more tropical storms and hurricanes than I can count, none really stand out other than Andrew when I was a kid, and of course, the infamous Trifeca Year of Charley, Frances, and Jeanne.
Charley was supposed to beeline it for Tampa, we were pretty freaked, but more people than not kind of accepted it as an inevitability of luck running out there because we'd consistently dodged a bullet for a century.
Punta Gorda never saw it coming. They had no reason to prep as hard as we did up in Tampa, nobody expected a hard right turn like that. Just goes to show you can predict all the tracks you want, you still are going to eventually lose on one of them.

But as far as Asia goes, they're substantially more accustomed to severe storms. Tip, Haiyan, etc. Atlantic doesn't hold a candle to those.

Edit: And a tornado here in MI, and a small 'quake I didn't even wake up from my nap for. Nature does what it does, just like it always has.
edit on 9/4/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:44 PM
link   

High waves are observed at a fishing port in Aki, Kochi Prefecture, on Tuesday as Typhoon Jebi approaches western Japan. | KYODO
The Japan Times

With anecdotally reported wind speeds of 160 km/h or better, this typhoon would fall into the category of Very Strong or Severe Typhoon.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those people who are affected in Japan.

-dex

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

High waves are observed at a fishing port in Aki, Kochi Prefecture, on Tuesday as Typhoon Jebi approaches western Japan. | KYODO
The Japan Times

With anecdotally reported wind speeds of 160 km/h or better, this typhoon would fall into the category of Very Strong or Severe Typhoon.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those people who are affected in Japan.

-dex

thanks for posting
Later I'll see if I can put some videos up. This typhoon was the worst since I think the 1940's. The black and white tv videos they are showing on tv here show just how bad it was in the 40's.

posted on Sep, 5 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   
You cannot really fully appreciate the book - The Hitchhikers Guide to a Galaxy unless you were a kid reading it in the early 80's; Then you would get its full appreciation.

Because if you read it then, the ideas were light years ahead of its time, and you appreciate the jokes in the context of that time. Everyone who saw the movie first are left out.

But behold - The Hitchhikers Guide has become a reality only we call it Google. Except when I look up 'Earth' it doesn't come up as - 'Mostly harmless.'

new topics

top topics

join