It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Images Show Ice on Mars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
The European probe Mars Express which is currently orbiting the red planet has relayed images that may be a sea of ice. The location near the equator could possibly harbor life. The as yet unpublished photographs were taken last year by the probe. The NASA rovers have found evidence of water, but theorized that most of it had evaporated off.

www.foxnews.com
AMSTERDAM, Netherlands — Images relayed by a European space probe reveal the existence of a sea of ice close to the equator of Mars, scientists said Tuesday at a conference in the Netherlands. The existence of water or ice would significantly increase the chance that microscopic life may also be found on Mars.

The evidence comes from photographs — not yet published — taken last year by the European Space Agency's Mars Express probe currently orbiting the red planet.

Scientists have long theorized there once was water on Mars, and data from NASA's Mars Rovers has recently appeared to confirm it. But most scientists believed the water had evaporated into the atmosphere early in the planet's history.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a huge discovery and will no doubt assist in any venture to explore the planet. If hydrogen can be developed from the water, a potential energy source may be available to power exploration and possibly a return back to earth. The life angle is also very interesting as well. Where there is water there is life.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Uhh... dont we already know this and have seen this too? Is this just a newer image?

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CmptrN3rd5
Uhh... dont we already know this and have seen this too? Is this just a newer image?

Not that I was aware of and the article is dated today and further states that the images have not been released. The NASA rovers were sent to look for signs of water and have found evidence, but actuall ice is a whole different thing.

posted on Feb, 22 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Isnt there already pictures of the polar caps of mars? I assumed that they were covered in ice like earth, since they are white and such. I thought I read something about it too. Oh well, Im pretty stupid, therefore Im probably wrong.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Lol youre funny PD!

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Its such a shame that since this pic was taken LAST YEAR they still havent released it to the general public. I'll never understand why they hold back information but it is great to finaly learn of the good science comming out of the mission. I am all for further missions.

I believe they're publishing in Science or Nature. It usually takes a good year or so to prep a paper for one of those two journals, make it through peer review, revisions and final submission. They haven't been sitting on the data for a year. I'm guessing they've talked about it at conferences in the past year--its not like anyone was going to scoop them for the data because only one research team was getting that data I believe. But its not a conspiracy. Science takes time. You want to be careful, analyze the data correctly and not make mistakes. Some papers get fast-tracked, Science and Nature (and other journals) have early online articles to disseminate papers faster, but you can't expect someone to publish data as soon as they get it before analyzing it and putting it through peer review.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
indeed, you better have that peer reviewed and try to debunk your own theory several times before you go public with huge statements like extraterrestrial water and possible life, your putting your scientific reputation at stake here.

top topics

join