It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alpha - I'm looking forward to this movie.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I read about this new movie today, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Apparently it has a prehistoric theme, which includes the domestication of the wolf.

I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be set in Europe or North America, or some indistinct point in Asia (perhaps on an erstwhile land-mass between the two).
What do other members think?

About time we had a stone-age epic like Quest for Fire or Clan of the Cave Bear with some attempt at realism and authenticity.
Apparently the landscape scenes are so stunning that one should try to catch it in 3-D or Imax.

Alpha - the trailer:

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I wanted to see this last night. Really badly.

But since I have no spine.. I had to see BlacKKKlansman instead. I didn't think that movie was entertaining at all. Good message but so dry and the dialog was too repetitive.
edit on 19-8-2018 by Fehrie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I'll be seeing it Tuesday and can't wait!

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fehrie

Hello new person with the awesome avatar! Perhaps you can see Alpha another day.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:04 PM
link   
For 20,000 years ago.

It should have been a direwolf which would be quite a bit larger(even found in my home state Indiana).

I'm gonna pass.

ETA:

Imagine the predator range of those animals.
edit on 19-8-2018 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Well according to Wikipedia on wolves in North America:

The archaeological and paleontological records show gray wolf continuous presence for at least the last 300,000 years.[32] This continuous presence contrasts with genomic analyses, which suggest that all modern wolves and dogs descend from a common ancestral wolf population[33][34][35] that existed as recently as 20,000 years ago.[33] These analyses indicate a population bottleneck, followed by a rapid radiation from an ancestral population at a time during, or just after, the Last Glacial Maximum. However, the geographic origin of this radiation is not known.

en.wikipedia.org...

Who knows, maybe some other species make an appearance too?
It doesn't appear that the Dire Wolf was an ancestor of other wolves, but rather a concurrent species at the time (perhaps specialized for bigger prey, or the mega-fauna).

Whether there were people in North America about 20 000 years ago according to current theories, there I'm less sure.
Probably a bigger hot potato than the wolfey in question.
Although it doesn't give a specific location in the trailer.
edit on 19-8-2018 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: Fehrie

Hello new person with the awesome avatar! Perhaps you can see Alpha another day.

Yesssss and hello
I love your avatar also. The expression on her face says so many things.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Also, I doubt the movie is supposed to be a documentary on real life 20,000 years ago.

I have a feeling it's purely for entertainment. If you're looking for an accurate movie of life back then, I would highly recommend The Croods

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

There were. Where do people think Native Americans came from.

The sabertooth tiger did make an appearance at the camp fire.

The "Clovis first theory" refers to the 1950s hypothesis that the Clovis culture represents the earliest human presence in the Americas, beginning about 13,000 years ago; evidence of pre-Clovis cultures has accumulated since 2000, pushing back the posible date of the first peopling of the Americas to about 13,200–15,500 years ago

en.wikipedia.org...

Close enough for hollywood

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Oh, according to the Wikipedia summary the film is supposedly set in Europe (where's all the blonde people and redheads so far)?
en.wikipedia.org...(film)

But, can one still have a film about European history that actually depicts Europeans?
We'll see, I mean it's just a trailer.

The film was boycotted by Peta, because allegedly bisons were hurt (I'm not sure whether this proved to be correct).

From what I saw so far a person was hurt by a sabre-toothed kitty cat.
But it's Europeans, so I guess that's fine these days.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In the trailer it looked like bison.

When did Europe ever have bison?

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

In the trailer it looked like bison.

When did Europe ever have bison?

Look it up, for there was a European Bison.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The European bison (or Wisent) survives today, and after near extinction is being re-introduced regionally:

blog.nature.org...

Not sure if the "steppe bisons" in the movie are the same, or an extinct species.
I guess it's the same, if Peta claims they were hurt in the movie.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

The mention of bison roaming conjures images of specific places: Yellowstone and the Badlands, the Great Plains and prairie preserves. The wide-open spaces of North America, past and present. But Europe? Chances are, your mind does not connect bison and Europe.

Mine sure didn't.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Red box..
I only see 3 to 4 movies in the theater a year.
I hate dropping $50 to see a movie so I usually only go to big visual ones like avengers.

My home theater will boom enough for this movie.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Looks awesome, will definitely be seeing it!

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I seen the preview last night for the first time and it made me smile.
We just lost our Alaskan Malamute on aug 8th.
He was very “pack” oriented and had some wolf characteristics.
When I seen the wolves in the preview, they reminded me a lot of Loki.

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Saw this trailer a couple of weeks ago. I'm a huge dog person...it made me tear up due to the new-found loyalty between the dog and man...I too wanna see this...

posted on Aug, 19 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Aww that pupper was a hurtboi, good thing he got better.

posted on Aug, 20 2018 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Indeed very suspenseful trailer...another good movie comparably without the whole CGI stuff is WHITE FANG...great movie with I think a tear jerker in there somewhere

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join