It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why don't we repeal old laws?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: randomtangentsrme

That's Canada right? Cold.. you heard of shrinkage? Seinfeld

Ya might not want to swim naked if you're looking to impress. Lol

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That perplexed me too. I think it was the word chaperone.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme

Animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship. (California)
www.dumblaws.com...

You have to ask yourself what they were doing that required this law to be made.
edit on 8/17/18 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You have to ask yourself who thought by passing a law they could dictate the actions of animals.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

It's weird to see silly laws mingled in with ones that they take really seriously.

Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks in front of their house or business.

Some places will fine 💸 a person if they're not out there clearing snow often enough

Bylaw states that no more than 3.

⬆️ That's a little bit vague......🤔

That ladder law is priceless

It's in your link as well, sub heading Alberta (No. 16)

This one makes me sad for your fellows in Bancroft.

In Bancroft, it’s illegal to skinny dip.

I dunno whenever I was in america every body of water I came across had multiple signs against skinny dipping. We also almost had our school permanently banned from a hotel in Coeur d'Alene that they'd been using on the program's Yellowstone trip, for nearly 20 years at that point, when we decided to skinny dip in the hotel pool after drinking far too much cheap american beer at a local bar. Our teachers had to beg them the rest of the week just to let us stay on our return trip....
edit on 17/8/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

I agree USA is odd about nudity. But follow the laws or risk issues.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:35 PM
link   

ever read the laws they write today? so often they refer to older laws and just change some of the wording. who knows, some of our laws might, if you follow the trail far enough lead back to some of these stupid out of date laws. if we remove those stupid out of date laws, we might be removing important base elements of our current laws.

I am only wondering here, not even guessing really. mainly it's probably just my reaction from when I try to make sense of new laws that they are thinking of passing. it's kind of insane and really wouldn't surprise me any if a law that required a sheep to have a chaperone if it's riding in the cab of a truck eventually morphed into children under five can't be left in a vehicle unattended or something.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar

ever read the laws they write today? so often they refer to older laws and just change some of the wording. who knows, some of our laws might, if you follow the trail far enough lead back to some of these stupid out of date laws. if we remove those stupid out of date laws, we might be removing important base elements of our current laws.

I am only wondering here, not even guessing really. mainly it's probably just my reaction from when I try to make sense of new laws that they are thinking of passing. it's kind of insane and really wouldn't surprise me any if a law that required a sheep to have a chaperone if it's riding in the cab of a truck eventually morphed into children under five can't be left in a vehicle unattended or something.

I understand. But that is not a good answer for why we do not have individuals that will advocate for getting rid of the old laws.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:51 PM
link   

hey, I'd be all for us going through and taking the laws that we enforce today, and construct them so that they have the entire law written out in one spot instead of all the referrals and edits to older laws. then, just taking the mess we have now and archiving it. But, I would really hate to be the one who's job it was to do this.
I really wouldn't want to trash the old laws though, because well, look how much fun some people are having reading through those crazy laws!!

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 08:52 PM
link   

a reply to: dug88

I agree USA is odd about nudity. But follow the laws or risk issues.

Skinny dipping is OK in my county outside of city limits, but you are not allowed to have sex with your wife in front of your house naked.

Which begs to ask the question... it you are wearing socks and a ski mask, is that considered naked?

OK... that came from a 3am fireside drunken discussion...

But I did buy a ski mask a few weeks later.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I don't think so?
I suppose it is up to folk to decry it or not.

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There is a law in Alaska that it is illegal to drop an elephant out of a cargo plane....?
With or without a chute.
Was this act rampant before the law was passed ?
???

posted on Aug, 17 2018 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

I'm not allowed to make soap for retail sales in my house. I was informed by a lawyer when I closed on it 27 years ago. Nor any other products made with lye. Oh well and I really wanted a soap factory in my basement. Shucks

You are Tyler Durden aren't you?

edit on 17-8-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Due to a caveat put on the title, not due to some law, am I right?

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

State legislatures do go through the books and delete or update old obsolete laws periodically. In general though it is just cheaper to let it slide.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Why don't we repeal old laws - because it increases the likelyhood of you offending one them so they can get you whenever they want.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 04:20 AM
link   
In the UK (or England and Wales at least) laws are revoked and you make a law to cancel a law, so to speak. Also, in those countries that follow codes such as "common law" the law is made through precedent and customs et al, so the old customs just fall out of use and are superseded.

Anyway, my mother has the right to drive geese through her village and this is set in the original deeds of her property and originate in some shady point in the past. She can also extract sand from her land. This has not been done for a generation, or more, but could be activated today. Whether this arrangement has stood the test of time would be based on a legal challenge, should anyone care to do so.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

does she still live in a village, or has that village grown into a major population center.
her right might be revoked on that technicality.
the place I grew up in was a village for about half of my childhood, then, overnight it seemed, it became a city. it was the same place, nothing much had changed but suddenly they decided they wanted to be a city, not a village. then the only noticeable change was the signs that you saw on the roads as you entered the city.

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This one might be the oddest I've seen:

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow. (UK)

posted on Aug, 18 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

MICHIGAN: A statute on the books since 1931 makes adultery a felony — punishable by a maximum sentence of four years in prison and possibly a $5,000 fine.

Apparently in Michigan this is still on the books, but the courts let it slide. Egad! I can Imagine some of the vengeful exes would love to pursue this law!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join