It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London mayor wants to ban cars in some areas after attack

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I bought a Mora Robust (knife) last month for batoning and whatnot. Paid cash, showed my driver's license and it's that simple.

It's not so bad an idea to regulate knives going through the post. At first I was against it and now I don't mind as it throttles the availability of knives to under 18s. Whatever's going down around London isn't a knife problem anyway - it's a lot of things.

Even then, I don't care at all about kids having knives as long as they're using them as intended. It's normal for boys to like penknives and there's a healthy interest in outdoor pursuits like orienteering, Duke of Ed and camping. I haven't looked at the stats, but there seems to be a big increase in DofE expeditions and they'd want a decent bushcraft knife each as part of the standard kit.

It's stil important to keep the knives in sheaths and out of sight until either necessary or they're deep in the wilds. No point startling some Daily Mail reader in Snowdonia who panics and calls the police.

On topic...I'm indifferent about Khan's car idea. If Londoners want it, fine. I remember when we got rid of railway litter bins during the height of the IRA's campaign in England. Some ATSers would be hysterical about 'banning' bins if it happened today. In reality, it was a reasonable step and the bins came back when it settled down again. IIRC the newer ones were designed to reduce shrapnel.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Some people don't have ID, that's the only issue I have with such proposals. As I understand it ID should be asked for when there's any doubt. When I use a self-checkout machine I always have to provide ID... Times are changing, old rules being enforced, new ones coming out but at the end of the day it's not like your details are being recorded when you're prompted for ID.

I don't see much issue with needing ID, the alternative is actually worse for the worker selling the product whether it be a barman or shop assistant. Fines and jail time, in the case of a knife used as a weapon a guilty conscious also.

Anyways yeah, knives ain't banned and won't be, they're tools and like all tools a level of education and decency should be applied when operating with them. I never understood that mentality of keeping a weapon around for "just in case" scenarios, when you perceive imminent danger everything is a weapon. But a bat in the car or a knife in your pocket? Yeah... Good luck convincing any court that you used reasonable force in defence when using a weapon that was conveniently within reach. Might as well just say you're psychic.

As for London and violent crime?

Yes it's complex, I feel social activities and a bit support would go a long way, I'm often humbled by the efforts of Duke of Ed and other similar activities. I've seen them turn lives around, sometimes an outlet that helps with social skills and personal development is all a person needs. Often when dealing with kids from a worse off background we find that they never had a well-structured family, a decent education or any aspirations of a better life. Remembering my time as a kid I was often found despair between the ages of 13-18. I could work my ass off for pennies or I could get into what all the "cool kids" are doing and get into highly profitable illicit activities. When you come from a background of day to day living and have very little knowledge of educational or financial foresight it becomes almost obvious conclusion on what you should probably get into. Money is appealing.

Off-topic I know but it's something I feel strongly about, then again it isn't all that off-topic. Most terrorism these days in the UK has been done by desperate and disillusioned people and/or the mentally ill looking for escapism or a weird sense of glory.

I guess in that sense a pedestrianised Parliament is just a plaster over a gaping wound in society. To compare to the IRA, yes we can approach with due diligence but ultimately it was going to the source of the problem and remedying the issues that brought our bins back. You'll always be on the back foot trying to thwart someone who believes you should suffer. Take away that belief.

Apologies for the long post, I blabber on sometimes. At least I think I guess, no need for hysterics it's often unproductive.
edit on 4-9-2018 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RAY1990

I never understood that mentality of keeping a weapon around for "just in case" scenarios, when you perceive imminent danger everything is a weapon. But a bat in the car or a knife in your pocket? Yeah... Good luck convincing any court that you used reasonable force in defence when using a weapon that was conveniently within reach. Might as well just say you're psychic.

People like to brag on social media about what they'd do in certain scenarios. They'll state how they have bats or knives ready to go. If anything awful happens, their histories will be investigated and potentially used against them in Court. At best, it'll undermine their defence and at worst it'll see intruders walk away with fines or suspended sentences.

It's wiser to say nothing in print and have a good reason planned out for why whatever object happened to be within reach.

The police don't want to prosecute people defending their property. The CPS won't pursue charges that have no chance of conviction.

Off-topic I know but it's something I feel strongly about, then again it isn't all that off-topic. Most terrorism these days in the UK has been done by desperate and disillusioned people and/or the mentally ill looking for escapism or a weird sense of glory.

Definitely. There are no 'evil geniuses' in the modern, domestic terrorist 'community.' Do you remember that homophobic guy with the nail bombs? An idiot and a nut. Same with our recent Muslim terrorists, all of them losers in life and many barely literate. The smart terrorist provides the idiots with the suicide vests.

Apologies for the long post, I blabber on sometimes. At least I think I guess, no need for hysterics it's often unproductive.

Likewise.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Jesus and Mo.

posted on Sep, 4 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ive never advocated keping weapons close to hand in any thread I've posted in. I have been honest that many incidental weapons lay around my home though from daily use. Paslodes to wrecking bars.
Become self employed in construction seems the safest option for anyone wishing to comply with UK reasonable force rules.
Mancaves rule lol, anything could be laying around as an incidental weapon. Don't burgle a single man who works in construction lol
EDIT
My favurite trowel lives by my bedside, it is my favourite trusted tool, of course I would employ it as a reasonably defensive incidental tool, only a fool wouldn't in some emergency where psycho's are invading your home, grab the closest known tool and defend yourself reasonably.
Not rocket science really.

edit on 4-9-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2018 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Yes, something like that

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join