It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Solar System Hydrogen Wall Blocking Alien Broadcasts

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Seems the New Horizons probe sent to Pluto and beyond has picked up possible evidence of a "wall" at the outside edge of our Solar System resulting from our Sun moving through the galaxy and creating a kind of shock wave against the various kinds of radiation floating around out there.

New Horizons - Hydrogen Wall

I could be wrong here, but couldn't that possibly make it more difficult for us to pick up any external radio transmissions that happen to be broadcasting at the hydrogen radio frequencies liked so much by SETI researchers because of their universal ubiquity? Just a thought.

Maybe it's all part of our quarantine.
edit on 15-8-2018 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Generally, hydrogen based shielding works well against low-energy radiation such as Alphas and Betas, but works poorly against higher energies like Neutrons(Fast and Slow) and Gamma/X-rays.

That being said, light makes it through the hydrogen, so the transmissions would have to have to be lower than infrared on the electromagnetic scale in order to be blocked.

That's all assuming a further advanced society even uses the electromagnetic spectrum to communicate. It could be that neutrinos aren't responsible for creating the conditions that result in what we call gravity. It could be that neutrinos are nothing more than packets of alien D pics and what a shock we'll get when we decrypt the messages!

Interesting thread!

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Perhaps.. I do not know about how radio signals behaves in a wall of hydrogen..
I know salt water is no good.

And yes I have heard about the quarantine theory, would make sense if true.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I've been theorizing this possibility ever since one of the Voyagers randomly had it's thrusters become viable again.

I'm still waiting to see what happens, when the other Voyager probe hits the same distance.
If the thrusters kick back on, on the other Voyager probe, there would have to be SOMETHING going on out there. A large bubble of unexpected matter and energy would be one of the candidates, I was considering.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

I deny any qualified guesses as to your notion. My unqualified supposition would be that any significantly advanced alien civilization would know this, if it is true, and would be using some other means of communication .

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: wtfatta

I prefer to consider photon-light wave duality the progenitor of what we call gravity.

I also like to consider the possibility that photons and light waves are actually distinctly separate and only circumstantially appear related.

With what we currently understand about space-time, even if they don't directly use the EMF spectrum for communication...

It would be reasonable to assume that whatever they DID use for communication would still have some detectable interaction with the EMF spectrum. Unless you're implying that it could be communication, which leaves and re-enters space-time.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:48 PM
link   

During a CB radio conversation only the other night. It was suggested that the guy i was talking to. Lived near wet marshland. And his reception was better because of the water, It makes a natural ground plane.

I don't know if he claims his transmission is better too.

I suppose the wall could be the place to be to receive any ET signals.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

What's beyond the wall ?
We perceive the Universe but I perceive words on my monitor that aren't actually there , it's just an illusion.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Actually, those words are stored somewhere.

The monitor is your periscope goggles, to see what the bits in your RAM look like.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Would we even be able to pick up quantum and more advanced communications?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:31 PM
link   

What quarantine is that? Do you have some special information?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Except that 1420.40575 MHz is a favorite of radio astronomy in general. Seems to penetrate that "wall" just fine. Remember the "WOW" signal? Guess what wavelength.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
We perceive the Universe but I perceive words on my monitor that aren't actually there, it's just an illusion.

We all live in our own universe bubbles that only extend as far as we can perceive with our senses, combined with some imaginary figments of structured information told to us by others that we accept as plausible. Our universe bubbles intertwine with those of every other living thing, and we can use this to create a kind of vague consensus, but the interaction is weak and very poorly translated from one living thing to another.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
What quarantine is that? Do you have some special information?

Oh, you know, the mythical quarantine we're supposedly placed in because we're such a dangerous species that if we learned the secret of rapid travel across astronomical distances we'd be a danger to all other civilizations in the universe. One of the proposed solutions to the Fermi Paradox.

As if there weren't even more aggressive species out there who could be wolves compared to us bunnies.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Except that 1420.40575 MHz is a favorite of radio astronomy in general. Seems to penetrate that "wall" just fine. Remember the "WOW" signal? Guess what wavelength.

Any diffraction or compression at all when it hits the layer of greater density? But it is hydrogen, I guess. There's more nothing in a hydrogen atom than anything else.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:17 PM
link   
So does this mean that our signals don't get out of our solar system?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

98.6 FM- All Undiscovered Country, all the time?

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Archivalist

I've been theorizing this possibility ever since one of the Voyagers randomly had it's thrusters become viable again.

I'm still waiting to see what happens, when the other Voyager probe hits the same distance.
If the thrusters kick back on, on the other Voyager probe, there would have to be SOMETHING going on out there. A large bubble of unexpected matter and energy would be one of the candidates, I was considering.

You're a bit confused about the Voyager thruster issue. It is NOT the case that the thruster wasn't working, and then suddenly was.

What really happened was that the main attitude control thrusters (thrusters that are used to re-orient the antenna toward Earth) were beginning to show signs of age, and were requiring longer burn time to do their job. NASA engineers looked for a "Plan B" method for re-orienting the craft, and they decided to use a set of four other thrusters meant for a different purpose (Trajectory Course Maneuvering, or TCM, thrusters) that haven't previously been used for 37 years.

It wasn't (as you implied) that they tried and failed to use the TCM thrusters in the previous 37 years, but then they suddenly started working; in reality it was that they hadn't even attempted to use them in 37 years. They thought it was possible that they might not work due to the inactivity, but they did -- which is no huge shock, considering how well everything else about the Voyagers seems to have been engineered extremely well.

There is no reason to believe that they worked because of this potential hydrogen wall. They very well could have worked even if there isn't a hydrogen wall.

Here is an excerpt from an article about the thrust procedure:

Voyager 1 periodically uses its main attitude control thrusters to keep its communications antenna aimed at Earth. However, engineers have noticed that the aging thrusters had degraded since 2014, requiring longer burns to generate the same amount of energy. So they came up with a solution: use the long dormant Trajectory Course Maneuvering (TCM) thrusters for attitude control.

Full Article - Sky and Telescope Magazine

edit on 15/8/2018 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   

I prefer to consider photon-light wave duality the progenitor of what we call gravity.

Intriguing. How so?

It would be reasonable to assume that whatever they DID use for communication would still have some detectable interaction with the EMF spectrum.

I agree which is why I'm facetiously concerned that the first contact between alien races might be a D pic and not necessarily from them lol

I would say that, due to the limitations of speed and great distance between sources, it's likely they do use a form of communication perhaps like quantum entanglement which appears to operate outside of space-time in order to overcome the uselessness of sending a message thousands of lightyears.

posted on Aug, 15 2018 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The heliopause stretches out a ways and interacts with interstellar medium (cosmic rays). The hydrogen wall is thought to be trapped between the bow shock and heliopause (Wikipedia.)

I would think all solar systems out there have a variation of this if there sun is as active as ours. Since we can actually "see" them then I do not think radio waves have too much of a problem penetrating the hydrogen wall. I mean, we "seeing" into the Orion nebula using radio telescopes through the dust (ever see the 3D fly through? It is up here on ATS somewhere... flipping cool!). A significantly intelligent species would know which frequencies to avoid.

Let's flip the story around! One idea for interstellar travel is having rockets fly out in front of your path dropping nuclear fusion fuel that your ship gobbles up like Pacman. What if all we need to do is make it to the hydrogen wall and top off?

Yes, I really want off this rock! Where did I put my towel??...

#4 is awesome! io9.gizmodo.com - 11 of the Weirdest Solutions to the Fermi Paradox.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join