It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BUDDHIST HELL in Sri Lanka: Demons and Devils: Dickwella Temple (Wewurukannala Vihara)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I'm not sure if there's a lot of discussion to be had, but this is a sight worth seeing, for anyone interested in spirituality, including Buddhism and its conceptual 6 realms of unenlightened existence (which we are doomed to wander in, before we reach enlightenment).

One of those 6 realms is hell, which is often considered metaphor for mental states of suffering. Of course, it can also be taken literally, for some spiritual realms being hell realms.

I just found out about this Buddhist temple in Sri Lanka, depicting hell realms in 3D sculpture. If visitors want to visit the giant Buddha statue, they have to go through hell, literally! The Buddha statue is only reachable by marching through the Tunnel of Hell.

3D sculptures of demons and devils show them torturing the souls of sinners with various methods, such as cutting through their bodies with a two-man lumberjack saw, and boiling them in a giant pot of soup.

Although I've always known that hell is one of the 6 realms of Buddhism, it is rarely depicted, and Buddhism is mostly associated with peaceful statues of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas.

I've only seen an odd painting or drawing here or there showing demons, with the best-known example probably being the illustrations of the Buddha's enlightenment, under the Bodhi tree, when the demonic daughters of Mara danced around the Buddha and tried to distract him from his meditation.

However, I never saw an elaborate representation of Buddhist hell realms, before seeing pics of this temple.

It's very graphic and violent imagery, and the purpose would seem to scare people away from sin. No doubt there is also an entertainment value, similar to walking through a haunted-house at a carnival.

I'm always fascinated by Eastern-style artwork, including the faces of the demons in this temple: They have fangs, but they don't necessarily look extremely scary in their faces.

Also it's hard not to look at this with modern eyes, which makes everything remind me of toys, comics, cartoons, etc. No doubt the temple would have seemed ultra-realistic and horrifying to past generations. (I'm not sure exactly how old the temple is but it's always referred to as being at least a few hundred years old. The giant Buddha is a more recent addition, in the 1960's IIRC.)

I also found it surprising how similar this hell depiction is to the Judeo-Christian concept that we're familiar with. Red demons, hell-fires, torture, etc. It would seem that the Buddhists were describing something very similar to the traditions in the West.

I also figured a lot of people may be surprised to see that Buddhism includes more than peaceful Buddha statues, and it includes concepts of hell which are very similar to the Judeo-Christian ideas of it.

Welcome to hell!

edit on 12-8-2018 by peacefulpete because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: peacefulpete

I wonder how old those statues are, they looked to be in pretty good shape and well preserved.
Thank you for the tour.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I wonder how old those statues are, they looked to be in pretty good shape and well preserved.
Thank you for the tour.

I haven't seen that specific information, unfortunately.

But the general impression is that the giant Buddha is from the 1960's, and that the rest of the temple is at least a few hundred years old. So I was figuring the demon sculptures were a few hundred yrs old.

On the other hand, they could also be modern additions lol, and the info just isn't advertised.

Maybe these are really just wax statues?

Hmm...

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Any place called Dickwella has to be some kind of hell

Funny, what they depict as hell often happens in our world now and certainly in the past

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
That's not even remotely like the Judeo Christian concept of hell
That is the Buddhist version that has leached into Christianity, Judaism doesn't do afterlife as you seem to suggest
Christianity indicates a separation from God, not torture, a loving God doesn't torture

The Tiger Balm gardens in Singapore is simmilar, a Budhist hell is depicted there as well
edit on 12-8-2018 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Wouldn’t it be funny if your strict adherence to Christian beliefs landed you in Buddhist hell?

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

Thank you for the tour.

Also Buddhism does have plenty of statues and temples which are well-preserved around the world. It's not like Hinduism which seems to feature ancient crumbling stone statues everywhere. Buddhism is newer than Hinduism, with Hinduism stretching off into unknown thousands of years ago, whereas Buddhism is only about 2,600 yrs old.

Anyway I thought I would explain that in case people might be thinking of how Hindu temples always seem to have ancient ruins of weather-worn statues.

Buddhism is comparatively more modern, and has many temples which are preserved in good condition, and you don't really see such ancient weather-worn statues, like in Hinduism.

Anyway, I'll post some pics which show some of the more classic statues in that same temple:

^ These I'm guessing are ancient statues, but the paint looks strikingly fresh and new, which makes me wonder if these statues have been re-painted or not, since they were first made...?

edit on 12-8-2018 by peacefulpete because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Super interesting thank you for this

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: Raggedyman

Wouldn’t it be funny if your strict adherence to Christian beliefs landed you in Buddhist hell?

Haha that idea is funny. Of course Buddhism doesn't teach that people go to hell just for following a different religion. It's not that kind of religion.

But it is really interesting that a religion that is based on peacefulness still feels the need to not only acknowledge hell realms, but also depict them with 3D horror (at least in rare cases, like this particular temple).

It seems a fundamental need for humans to believe in hell realms, for the worst sinners (like murderers and rapists) to be punished in the afterlife. It seems that people have a need to believe in something like that.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
That's not even remotely like the Judeo Christian concept of hell
That is the Buddhist version that has leached into Christianity, Judaism doesn't do afterlife as you seem to suggest
Christianity indicates a separation from God, not torture, a loving God doesn't torture

The Tiger Balm gardens in Singapore is simmilar, a Budhist hell is depicted there as well

I just meant similar in some of the basic imagery. The hell-fire, the red-colored demons / devils who are torturing the souls of sinners.

It's very similar IMO when you consider how Buddhism and Christianity don't overlap very often, especially in specific details like that.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Most sages teach that Hell and Heaven starts in this world

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Wanna see the Dalai Lama consult with entities? Pretty amazing scenes and "transformations" of the oracles in this film.

Cloaked in secrecy for over 400 years, the State Oracle of Tibet has been a strange and mystical aspect of the Tibetan Buddhist tradition. This ancient spirit, which has inhabited a succession of thirteen human mediums, advises the Dalai Lama on matters of public and religious policy. To witness the eerie spectacle of a medium entering a trance state and being possessed by the Oracle is to confront profound questions about the very nature of human consciousness.

With permission from the Dalai Lama that had never been granted before, The Oracle explores the ancient practice of consulting spirits.

The Dalai Lama is interviewed about the subject at length and not only speaks about the trance state of possession, but is actually filmed consulting the channeled entities himself.

I don't use the word "possession" lightly or as my own opinion, but, rather, use the trance channelling monks own words.

This film should also be of interest to those intrigued by the sound/vibration aspects of the Tibetan "Adepts".

In one scene the monk/oracle is surrounded by trumpets and sound. In explanation of what he experiences, the oracle states that the "possession" is preceded by vibrations that start in the feet and then a floating feeling and suddenly the trance state.

The Dalai Lama also makes the intriguing comment that some of these spirits are religious and some are not. I'm not sure because of his accent, but he seems to say that more of the spirits are Muslims and Christians than Buddhist or Hindu!

It will also be noted, that these channelled "Spirits" can be as devastatingly deceptive as all channelled entities seem to be.

At one point, two of the possessed monks seem to fiercely and violently engage each other. It's explained, however, that one of them is actually paying homage to the other!?

And did I mention the ritual murder?

Beautifully shot & nicely narrated, but in some cases, somewhat disturbing, you'll probably find the film extremely fascinating.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
Most sages teach that Hell and Heaven starts in this world

Sure, so does Buddhism, while it also describes different spiritual realms all co-existing. Buddhism has ghost realms, demon realms, godly realm of heavenly beings (devas), all overlapping with each other, and overlapping with the realms of animals and humans, not to mention different planets full of aliens.

Plus crazy imagery like a grain of sand containing entire worlds within that grain of sand, and those worlds have their own beaches full of sand, with their own tiny worlds within those grains of sand. And so on for infinity. Buddhism has it all lol.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:31 PM
link   
"I'm not sure if there's a lot of discussion to be had"

Well I know I could go on for pages about the Demons and Devils Dickwella Temple Wewurukannala Vihara. You do realize Buddha, himself, never said much of squat about what became Buddhism after he died? He never made many of the fantastic claims, was not any sort of deist. Buddha was actually quite humble and unpretentious, I think would be appalled by any gaudy religious display, in his name.
edit on 12-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Addition

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing
"I'm not sure if there's a lot of discussion to be had"

Well I know I could go on for pages about the Demons and Devils Dickwella Temple Wewurukannala Vihara. You do realize Buddha, himself, never said much of squat about what became Buddhism after he died? He never made many of the fantastic claims, was not any sort of deist.

Hmm you've got my interest. I did always think he spoke of fantastic claims and spoke of different spiritual realms.

I actually thought that it was the whole context that he lived in, 2600 yrs ago in India.

Do you have any specific points that you're referring to?

Buddhism actually never even became a unified religion so it's not like pointing out things in Christianity, for example, because that has been a unified religion for most of its existence. Buddhism has never become centrally-organized so it's pretty hard to talk about it in such terms...

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Buddha was actually quite humble and unpretentious, I think would be appalled by any gaudy religious display, in his name.

I don't think so lol. Buddhism has become expressed differently in different cultures, sometimes very understated, and other times / places it's very loud and colorful.

There is not a criticism there and there's no reason to think the Buddha himself had any preferences about bright colors and things like that.

Are you like just really digging for criticisms of Buddhism? lol

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: peacefulpete

Do you have any specific points that you're referring to?

Buddhism actually never even became a unified religion so it's not like pointing out things in Christianity, for example, because that has been a unified religion for most of its existence. Buddhism has never become centrally-organized so it's pretty hard to talk about it in such terms...

Sorry, but I don't feel it appropriate for me to "teach" Buddhism, that is, promote doctrinal depths. From basic comparative religions studies, I will say Buddha taught a doctrine of denying worldly ensnarements that only brought us pain, anyway, to put off the worldly life and become contemplative, seeking Nirvana in denying of worldly desires and meditation, thereby escaping the cycle of reincarnation, to this extent sharing Hindu concepts, though not the same reincarnation concept. I'd Google just what Buddha, he alone, believed, before the temples and the fantastic. I admire Buddha, from the standpoint he pointed out the poison of, what to Christianity, is the world, the flesh and the devil, at least in some of his moral precepts, Buddha aligned with Christ. Of course, Buddha's dead body is still wherever he left it, and he can give nobody eternal life or damnation that the Lord Jesus has in His power. Pretty big difference. But Buddha never claimed deity, or that there is a Deity we answer to, was more a system to reach this exalted state he perceived, by starving one's self of the world around you and meditation.
edit on 12-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Addition.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Ignore. Hit the wrong button, sorry...
edit on 12-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Invalid post.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Not, not at all, only critical that what is the world of Buddhism going far astray from what Buddha ever taught. He would not have approved of many things his name got attached to, teachings and religious trappings he never claimed. It's sort of like what Roman Catholicism is to Christianity, on steroids, though there are a lot of Buddhist monks pretty much devoted to basic Buddhist precepts, it appears, though I don't know any Buddhist monks to say that, for sure.

posted on Aug, 12 2018 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing

Not, not at all, only critical that what is the world of Buddhism going far astray from what Buddha ever taught. He would not have approved of many things his name got attached to, teachings and religious trappings he never claimed. It's sort of like what Roman Catholicism is to Christianity, on steroids, though there are a lot of Buddhist monks pretty much devoted to basic Buddhist precepts, it appears, though I don't know any Buddhist monks to say that, for sure.

Well I just don't think this is an accurate description of Buddhism. I don't think you are familiar enough with it.

I don't necessarily think that we see "the world of Buddhism going far astray from what Buddha ever taught," and if you have reason to think so, then I'd like to see it.

I think what you're trying to do is transfer some of the typical vague criticisms that we often hear about Western religions. You're trying to transfer them onto Buddhism but they don't apply because it's too fundamentally different from Western religions.

He would not have approved of many things his name got attached to, teachings and religious trappings he never claimed.

But like what? lol. I think you're just saying vague statements without meaning anything.

It's sort of like what Roman Catholicism is to Christianity, on steroids

Nope, it is nothing like the Catholic church, that's what you don't seem to understand.

Buddhism does not have any kind of central organized structure. There is no equivalent to a central church controlling things or whatever.

Buddhism is not centralized or coordinated across the world. It's more of a tradition that people adopted into their lives and into each culture that it spread to.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join