It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to sanction Russia over nerve agent poisoning

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:55 PM
link   
America has come to the same conclusion as Britain in that it was Russia who were behind the poisoning of the Skripals , the US state department has announced that sanctions will follow

Following the use of a “Novichok” nerve agent in an attempt to assassinate UK citizen Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia Skripal, the United States, on August 6, 2018, determined under the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act of 1991 (CBW Act) that the Government of the Russian Federation has used chemical or biological weapons in violation of international law or has used lethal chemical or biological weapons against its own nationals. Following a 15-day Congressional notification period, these sanctions will take effect upon publication of a notice in the Federal Register, expected on or around August 22, 2018.
www.state.gov...

Naughty Vlad.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Wait... Trump is going to sanction his puppetmaster?

HMMMMMMM....

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Impossible as Putin owns Trump and the US.Isn't that right?,

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawg61

To play Devil's Advocate, wouldn't it look bad if Trump told the State Department to sit on their report only to have it come to light at a later date?

Trump slapping an ineffective sanction on Russia gives the impression he's not in bed with Russia while not actually hurting Russia in anyway.

Like I said, just playing Devil's Advocate. I'm not saying that's what's happening.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

America has come to the same conclusion as Britain

Of course they have, this reminds me of Iraq circa 2003.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

Wait - the Globalists told Deep State puppetmasters who told British & US "talking heads" defense experts what to whisper in Trumps ear

All part of the long plan

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Spot on with the WMDs "Nigerian yellowcake" et al

Sadly many will believe the narrative

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Good thing reality holds no authority in this bizarre quest for WAR. WAR at all costs. WAR with russia. WAR with IRAN. WAR with Syria and soon to be WAR with the EU for not enforcing usa sanctions on iran.

WAR WAR WAR .... the MIC must be getting desperate to get their last drops of blood to feed off of before the populace says NO MORE!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: TDawg61

To play Devil's Advocate, wouldn't it look bad if Trump told the State Department to sit on their report only to have it come to light at a later date?

Trump slapping an ineffective sanction on Russia gives the impression he's not in bed with Russia while not actually hurting Russia in anyway.

Like I said, just playing Devil's Advocate. I'm not saying that's what's happening.
lol, that's not playing devils advocate, one has to be unbiased for that to hold true, this is just you trying to tie in connections from all possible angles.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Is this really a reason to risk nuclear war?

I don't want to get involved in a war simply because two foreign spooks die. How many members on ATS are willing to escalate tensions with Russia over these two people? Is it worth war?

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Look at my posting history. I've never really bought in to the Russian collusion story. Personally I think the Dems are idiots for putting all their eggs in that basket.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

At what point should the US step in and condemn Russia for their actions? If the attack happened on US soil would sanctions be justifiable? What if innocents had been injured as a result of collateral damage? What if one of the victims had been a US citizen?

Do any of these scenarios justify "risking nuclear war?"

Also, hyperbole much? Symbolic sanctions that don't have any impact are going to lead to letting the nukes fly? I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Russia should just assassinate people with drone strikes like civilized countries. The US wouldn't be able to gripe about that.

Or, they could use the same methods the Mossad uses.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I live in Lyme Regis Dorset, and I go shopping in Salisbury often (where it happened) and no matter what goes on politically let me tell you it is a real scary thing. When you are faced with the fact that there could be remnants in perfume bottles (as recently happened killing one person) or on objects it does make you feel very much fearful.

I am the least likely person to panic over anything Green aliens could descend on my beach today and I would just think wow that's different but when something like people dropping dead in the street happens, the street you shop in, it becomes all so very real.

As for Trump, I am not entirely sure why he would sanction a country not linked to the USA. As far as I am aware we are not the 51st state of the union! (yet) and we are quite capable of arguing our own case. Most of the UK public would simply feel puzzled by Trumps actions and tbf this has more or less been resolved now. Russia got international condemnation for their actions (if it was them at all to begin with) Sanctions only ever hurt the people of Russia and not the Government.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Metallicus

At what point should the US step in and condemn Russia for their actions? If the attack happened on US soil would sanctions be justifiable? What if innocents had been injured as a result of collateral damage? What if one of the victims had been a US citizen?

Do any of these scenarios justify "risking nuclear war?"

Also, hyperbole much? Symbolic sanctions that don't have any impact are going to lead to letting the nukes fly? I don't think so.

No, none of your straw man arguments are worth risking a nuclear war. A nuclear war shouldn’t even be a damn option to the question.

edit on 2018/8/8 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm a bit confused over this.

First of all, our government, the UK's, has repeatedly stated that Russia carried out these attacks. Indeed they may have done.
But show me some EVIDENCE.

To my knowledge, they've never publicly shown hard evidence that it was the Russian state or state backed organisations or individuals who committed this awful act.

If they have the proof, we want to see it - we've been lied to far too many times for us to simply take their word for it.

If that proof stands up to scrutinisation then it is us, the UK that should lead the way with sanctions and other retaliatory or punitive actions.
If our allies then choose to follow suit then fair play to them, thanks for the support.

I'm reluctant to criticise Trump over this but it does serve to make the UK look weak and lacking any sort of moral fibre and backbone, something the British people are most certainly not.

Is this just yet another example of how weak Theresa May and her government are and how this great country of ours is lacking any kind of leadership and direction?

We are currently adrift in a bloody big ocean without a Skipper or a rudder just drifting aimlessly.
edit on 8/8/18 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Im not supporting a war or hostilities with Russia under these pretenses. Saying it now.

a reply to: Freeborn
Exactly. And our view from across the pond is even less clear as to what actually happened over there.

edit on 8 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

With all due respect, I don't think anyone over here expects you to....or even wants you to.

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

People dont want what they need often enough. Everyone will be needed if we ever crack a war or escalated hostilities with a non third world power.

edit on 8 8 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

With all due respect, most there couldnt lift a walker, let alone a gun anymore.

And how would you know that?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join