It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO jet accidentally launches missile near Russia

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   
www.dailystar.co.uk...

Looking for other sources as the above is frankly crap.

A Spanish jet appears to have ‘accidentally’ launched a missile in Estonia near the Russian border.

Apparently there is a self destruct in the event of accidental launch - no idea of activated or if/where the missile hit the ground.

Can’t be good either way and how the hell do you accidentally launch a missile?!

Bob

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DrBobH

Not every country has the training standards of say the US or the UK, and we still bork things up every now and again.

Long as nothing major is damaged and no people are hurt Spain will bend on something with Russia and Russia will go honor satisfied.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:10 PM
link   
But wouldn't it be just like history, if the first word out of the mouth of the first person to realize WWIII had begun was, "Whoops!"? You've really got to wonder about anybody that thinks there's a deep state or anybody actually in control. When you think about it, even the dark conspiracy is much too optimistic.
edit on 7-8-2018 by Scrutinizing because: Sentence was weird. No! You don't say?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scrutinizing
But wouldn't it be just like history, if the first word out of the mouth of the first person to realize WWIII had begun was, "Whoops!"? You've really got to wonder about anybody that thinks there's a deep state or anybody actually in control. When you think about it, even the dark conspiracy is much too optimistic.

Imagine the pilot's conversation with his grandkids...oh, wait

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Imagine the pilot's conversation with his grandkids...oh, wait

Really! It would be, "Quick, Dad! Tell me if you were in the big one!"

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I know you're trying to find another news source but in future never use the daily star as a source for any news. The newspaper is the biggest load of horse crap going in the UK and it's usually read by those with an IQ that starts with a decimal point. Also their 'journalists' are terrible. I'll give you an example in the article they used a picture with a caption that 'A eurofighter performs aerobatics during an air show' along with this pic. 10 points for anyone that can tell me what's wrong with the pic

edit on 7-8-2018 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

gimme da points that's no typhooney
2nd
f

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:37 PM
link   
It was a freaking AMRAAM for cripe's sake. An air to air missile with a range of about 30 miles. Get real!
edit on 7-8-2018 by JIMC5499 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Well, if an F-16 is in Europe, isn't it technically a Eurofighter?

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:13 PM
link   
It is awfully hard to launch one of those missiles by mistake. I think there is more to this story or the pilot is an incompetent boob.
edit on 2018/8/7 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That is exactly what I was thinking. My guess would be that he thought he was in training mode and forgot he had a live missile. I don't think AMMRAM's have a self-destruct mode either. Either way, that dude needs to be fired.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

The "self-destruct" thing caught my eye, too. There might be fusing that says at A-altitude, and V-energy state to self-detonate, but otherwise, no.

Also, live fire mishaps are rare mostly because carrying live ordinance is rare. I wouldn't say it's easy to do or good for one's career, but stuff happens. There are a lot of incompetent boobs out there.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

They have a proximity fuse in case they miss the target, but no self destruct. At least not the C models I loaded.

I remember an F-15 shooting up his wingman with an Aim 9 in Alaska. That was the last time mixed munitions were allowed! LOL

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

It's not a single switch, but it's not hard to do. It's happened many times over the years.
edit on 8/7/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/7/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Depending on the jet you can launch one unarmed I believe, but to launch a live one is more than just Master Arm. Also, the First detent of the trigger is the gun camera. You gotta hit the pickle button for a missile. Plus, it needs to be selected on the screen, and slaved to radar. Lots of checks before that motor fires.

Typed before your edit...
edit on 7-8-2018 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Yep, it takes a little effort, but since they're flying policing missions, they're likely flying with at least some of the switching already set. Most of the pilots I knew, when doing air to air work would set all the switches, short of the Master Arm, and when they'd activate the gun camera, would also hit the pickle button, so that it all became second nature when they really needed it. Throw in an accidental Master Arm switch, and there goes a missile.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 03:42 PM
link   
if the pilot was anything like my kids were growing up, he likely said "my bad", and went on his way.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
a reply to: RadioRobert

They have a proximity fuse in case they miss the target, but no self destruct. At least not the C models I loaded.

I remember an F-15 shooting up his wingman with an Aim 9 in Alaska. That was the last time mixed munitions were allowed! LOL

I know about the proximity fuse. It's possible that they wrote a "if at 200 feet, motor spent, no target, ... Then X". I doubt it, frankly. What I will definitely say is there is no remotely-commanded "self-destruct" mechanism as implied in the article.

Also not impossible that it may have been accidentally jettisoned as opposed to "launched" . Wouldn't trust the press to not report that as a launch either.

But again, not extremely uncommon when live rounds are being carried. If this happens out at sea or over the desert on a range or in a combat zone where most live weaponry is being carried, it probably doesn't make the news, and you never hear about it. So you think it is more "rare" than it is.

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Two Spanish Typhoons and two French Mirage 2000Ds were training together at the time of the incident.

thedefensepost.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Live missiles going to a training mission? Bad.

Self-destructing AMRAAM's? LOL

I don't know how euro fighters work, but an AMRAAM won't launch until it has radar lock.
So this dufus was playing top gun and forgot he had live muns. LOL

Flying a Desk next week!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join