It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar system similar to ours discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Astronomers searching for signs of a Solar System like our own said on Thursday they had found a planet very similar to Jupiter orbiting a star resembling the Sun, 90 light years away.

"This is the closest we have yet got to a real Solar System-like planet and advances our search for systems that are even more like our own," said UK team leader Hugh Jones of Liverpool John Moores University.

Full Story: HERE

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Yeah, I saw that on the news earlier on. It could suggest a kind of "parallell" galaxie, with an Earth like ours.........

If this comes to something, we could be looking at the first steps to finding an inhabited planet outside Earth

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by chebob

If this comes to something, we could be looking at the first steps to finding an inhabited planet outside Earth

Inhabited ? Why inhabited ?

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:14 PM
link   
A good step indeed! I'll keep in touch with this story, good find, good find.

Peace

-Mac

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix

Originally posted by chebob

Inhabited ? Why inhabited ?

Well, I was just guessing........
Seeing as how the planet they found is remarkebly like Jupiter, if they find another planet nearby that resembles another of our planets, then it will raise the likelyhood of there being a planet very similar to ours nearby.....
I know, it's a long shot......

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, its probably already inhabited.

I say we invade, in case the natives try anything funny. Damn Wildflowers.

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Assuming for a minute no supreme creator (God throws all statistics and laws out the window) - aren't the chances for life on earth ever having begun at all infinitely small?

w/out knowing actual numbers, let's say the natural chances are 10^23 or something ridiculous. Wouldn't this imply that for every 10^23 plantary systems like our own that we find, only 1 would have life? (statistically)

[Edited on 4-7-2003 by quango]

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Lets not get carried away, a plane like upiter does not mean there is another plant like earth there...

There is no evidence yet that the planet is habitable and even if it is, our current rocket technology is so primitive it would take us at least 1.5 million years to get there.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:51 PM
link   
woah, everyone seems to be getting the wrong end of the stick.....
I don't think the new planet is inhabitable, for obvious reasons, and I'm not saying there is another planet like ours nearby, I'm just saying that with it bearing a resemblence to our Jupiter, if the rest of the "new galaxy" is also similar, there would be a chance there would be an inhabited, earth like planet in the solar system.......
But then again I do believe in God, so theres all the laws out the window

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 10:58 PM
link   

lol
Im assuming that your being sarcastic. But your remark is will said. I think this is one of the most amazing discovery this year, well i think so anyways.
Im so excited to find if they will discover more planets around it.
Deep

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

lol
Im assuming that your being sarcastic.

Yep

But I was thinking..........perhaps this new planet is actually the famous "Planet X", a lot closer than we thought! It would explain the recent wave of crazy weather all over the world.......

new topics

top topics

join