It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crop failure and bankruptcy threaten farmers as drought grips Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Obviously the earth is way to hot.

Sourceypoo

Farmers across northern and central Europe are facing crop failure and bankruptcy as one of the most intense regional droughts in recent memory strengthens its grip.

States of emergency have been declared in Latvia and Lithuania, while the sun continues to bake Swedish fields that have received only 12% of their normal rainfall.

The abnormally hot temperatures – which have topped 30C in the Arctic Circle – are in line with climate change trends, according to the World Meteorological Organization. And as about 50 wildfires rage across Sweden, no respite from the heatwave is yet in sight

I knew it! Everyone panic! I need dah gubberment to tax me more and save us!! Not sure about you guys but it's been a pretty mild winter for me. Even dropping into the 50's in July. It'll be in the 60's tonight. It just rained for like a week straight and flooded out everything.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Could it be weather control? Need to see who's going to take advantage of that.

edit on 26-7-2018 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

HAARP

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Europe has been around for multiple hundreds of years, haven't they ever had a bad drought there? They had a little ice age.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You know someone will link this to the Trump tariffs. He is somehow causing crop failures so they have to buy U.S. products.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer

You know someone will link this to the Trump tariffs. He is somehow causing crop failures so they have to buy U.S. products.

That was my thinking also

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Well, China isn't buying our grains because they are putting tarriffs on them. We should have a lot of grain to sell them for the livestock there anyway.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Severe drought in large parts of Australia too, worst on record for some areas.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 11:42 PM
link   
American people generally don't blackmail other countries when it comes to food exports.

posted on Jul, 26 2018 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
American people generally don't blackmail other countries when it comes to food exports.

You forgot the /s, obviously.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Between 1931 and 1939 there was a drought in Western and Central USA so severe , the legendary Dust Bowl ensued.
Improper farming techniques resulted in huge dust storms that affected 75% of the country. The rains and temperatures did not fully return to 'normal' until 1939.

Although many are familiar with this event, I will bet some are not, so..."

Dust Bowl

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 01:51 AM
link   

The Earths climate has gone through extremes before, the problem is that if people were starving five hundred miles away you wouldn't know. Cities had fields within walking distance to feed the city with local food production. Plus a grain reserve in case of a poor harvest. Now we have massive cities and industrialized non local food production. What could go wrong?

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Looks like the UK can help US farmers by buying their grain,and the tariffs will help offset the deficit the millenium's and liberals are all sudden concerned about

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults
I knew it! Everyone panic! I need dah gubberment to tax me more and save us!!

Lol, I don't believe anyone is thinking of increasing taxes because of droughts.
I imagine there will be some grants or something available to the farmers from the EU if they are at risk of going bankrupt.
I'm not in agriculture but I would support assisting British farms if they are suffering similar problems. Agriculture is an important industry for most nations.
...and yes, exceptionally hot here in the UK, for weeks now.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: anonentity

The Earths climate has gone through extremes before, the problem is that if people were starving five hundred miles away you wouldn't know. Cities had fields within walking distance to feed the city with local food production. Plus a grain reserve in case of a poor harvest. Now we have massive cities and industrialized non local food production. What could go wrong?

There are various localized weather conditions associated with urban developments. The first is the heat island effect. For every mile of land that is concreted and tarmac'ed over, the core temperature rises by 0.5C. Take a 20 mile radius city and that's a temperature 10C warmer downtown than the countryside. Being next to a large body of water mitigates this. In California, all that water around San Francisco helps create a micro-climate of cool air relative to the inland desert areas. There's the rainshadow effect where there is more rainfall downwind from the city than there would be if it were not there.

Having large lakes and trees helps keep the area cool because the water evaporates and forms clouds. But in the interests of "solving the housing crisis", the first things to go are parks, artificial lakes and surplus reservoirs or holding ponds. We had cold winters in the past due to the soot and dust coming from the East European steel works. That also caused acid rain.

It's funny that we have over 20 university courses dedicated to the global impact of climate change, but no one seems to have figured out that it would make our reservoirs run dry, roads would melt, the train network would shut down due to buckling track lines, and there would be a rat explosion because refuse was only collected every two weeks.
edit on 27-7-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Well, just to put it in perspective as a way of saying "farming has its ups and downs".

1. Vinyards in England are predicting a bumper harvest and some excellent wines due to the hot summer. For those in the know sparking wines from England are better than the much over-egged sparking wines from France, often called "champagne".
2. Russian grain harvests have been cut due to (ahem) a cold wet Spring.
3. Saw some free-range cattle on the hills where I live, crowded around a water sprinker to keep themselves cool. Sensitive farming.

posted on Jul, 27 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Hmmmmm I bet this is an opportunity for our farmers to make some money.

posted on Oct, 1 2018 @ 07:40 PM
link   
What happened this summer EUrobozos ? Exaggerated a tiny bit with hot weather manipulation to pretend that there's such thing as "Global Warming" ? Oh right true, the French military together with other EU militaries have been orchestrating weather manipulations to make "Global Warming" a really credible thing. Firenado's, other nonsense weather weapons, and maybe a hint of Earthquake and Tsunami against Indonesia (As planned already for a long time, to have war with south east asian countries that refuse to cut ties with China-Russia)

In the middle of this unfortunately while showing off "The Heat" you get into a drought and if you are like Italy or France, you might even get bankrupt ! Yes France as well as Italy!
Right now in fact, Moscovici, Mattarella and the whole comedy show are discussing on what to bail out first for the coming times, as the result of their weather manipulations bite on the EU so called "economy
"

But hey ... no worries, as long as there's Trump to blame for leaving the Paris accords ... it's all cool !
edit on 1-10-2018 by Flanker86 because: c

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Same issue is coming again this year, due to EU heads of state and governments, primarily Italy, that are pushing to make you believe there's global warming caused by human industry !

new topics

top topics

join