It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There SHOULD be an age where you are not allowed to drive anymore

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 02:07 AM
link   
has anyone else ever looked for their keys for like 20 minutes and checked your pockets like 15 times then found them in your pocket?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
A lot of the time when I'm already going 20 MPH over the speed limit on a two lane road with solid lines and someone has been tailgating me ever since I turned onto that road, it turns out to be some stupid 20 something who thinks their reaction time is a lot faster than it is. And when it isn't a 20 something, it will be someone between 30 and 50.

Same goes for the morons who weave in and out of traffic on busy roads without signalling. The 40 year old child in a speeding SUV is every bit as much of a threat as a clueless old man.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: JourneymanWelder

Yes every five years you must take an eye and motor skills exam to keep your license starting at age 60.

At least until self driving cars become the norm.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 05:04 AM
link   
After reading through all your post I realize that the only answer to this problems is obvious.

Self driving vehicles of all types!!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
After reading through all your post I realize that the only answer to this problems is obvious.

Self driving vehicles of all types!!!!!

But what happens when they become self-aware and start driving themselves into trees to stick it to the rich?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

Then I sit back and enjoy the chaos.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
That's some radical BS there OP.
I know, how about people with a lower IQ than 115 should not be allowed to vote? Sound good to you?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I think it should be a heck of a lot harder to earn a license in the first place, and you should retake the test every 2 years not every 4 like in my state, and every renewal test should have a section that focuses on new driving laws that have been passed in the last 2-3 years.

If we spent just a Little more time and effort and money preparing, we could save ourselves 5x-10x as much in the long run!

And if the test is much more intensive and difficult to begin with, then age won't be a factor.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Completely agree , there should be mandatory driving assessments at regular periods past a certain age if a person is to keep their licence.
I'm a professional driver so on the roads all day all week and have regular experience of old people driving badly , saw one on Friday who was either going to have an accident or cause one , not sure if it because she was old or drunk but her driving was shocking.

I drive a truck so am not really worried for my own safety but don't want to be involved in someone else's accident.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Yes every five years you must take an eye and motor skills exam to keep your license starting at age 60.

At least until self driving cars become the norm.

I know you're trying to come off as being tough on drivers, but, that would be giving them an extra year on the roads unmonitored as they are already required to pass an eye test and written exam every 4 years (in my state at least). LoL

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:51 AM
link   
The worst drivers are the youngest drivers. Texting and driving, no turn signals, no courtesy on the road, always cutting someone off, and tailgating. The majority of the time when I get caught in traffic due to an accident and I see who was involved it’s younger people. My only complaint for the elderly is they typically drive slower than most. Last time I was in an accident, a 20 yo woman rear ended me at 40 mph while I was sitting at a stop light because she couldn’t get off her damn phone for 10 minutes. So I feel your assessment is incorrect.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
That's some radical BS there OP.
I know, how about people with a lower IQ than 115 should not be allowed to vote? Sound good to you?

A little off topic, but don’t you think it’s funny the same people who say voter ID laws are just suppressing the vote. Are the same ones that want the elderly to make more of those trips to the DMV.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I think that apply to all are who are incapable, slow reaction time from brain to limbs, unable to focus, easily distracted, unable to read signs, unable to comprehend signs, laws and the reasons for their existence, egotistical believes the road is meant for them rather than the collective and understanding what that responsibility means.

People suck, I drive on a parkway about 30 miles every day, the speed limit is 70 mph. It varies, but I often encounter a ratio of 1 to 3 of texting or staring ar their phone while driving. Ironically enough I can almost guarantee I have passed someone texting about the dangers of firearms.

You want to know what give the elitist their rationale for controlling us? Look no further than your daily drive, walk, ride. We are them, our grievances just happen to encompass lesser effect from the individual. Just look around you and see the accumlitive effect of those individual instances and you will understand your own detriment to society.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia
a reply to: mysterioustranger

When tracing my family tree with a cousin we came across our grandmothers

half brother who was 100 years old living about 100 miles away, who we

contacted and he invited us for the week end.

We arrived at his home slightly early and sat parked outside nervously preparing

for the meeting when this car turned into the drive in front of us ....... long story

short this was my 100 year old relative!!

He voluntarily gave up driving about 18 months later and died at the age of 104.

My wifes 95 year old great-grandmother was driving to the dentist to have her TEETH cleaned (95, still driving and still had all her own teeth!)... She was t-boned in a left turn accident... and died from a broken leg 3 weeks later!!!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Mandatory retests, every five years, from 70 onwards.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Why do older drivers feel the need to go 30km below the speed limit when merging into a damn highway. Going too slow is dangerous too. Get off the road if youre so damn scared.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   

First off...I have to fight this urge to purge my tummy.
Second,I am a baby boomer,I am 63 years old and
just try and take my driver's license from me and see
what happens!

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I have been thinking about getting one of those dash cameras myself.
The only accident I was ever in was because a TEENAGER ran the red
light.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: dbarnhart

...because they're senile and can't drive straight? /sarc

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 07:47 PM
link   

There is a reason at 62 I get insurance far cheaper than people under 25 do. We cause far less wrecks.

You actually think 60 is old? Your own youth is showing, you might want to zip up.

Let me put this back on you. We know that our brains don't develop full critical thinking skills until we are about 25 years old. Before that age we all make many bad decisions as a result. Isn't it odd how that pretty much defines at what point we start causing less wrecks?

Age is irrelevant. Some people remain sharp and alert up into their 80's. Some start having problems earlier and it's clearly case by case.

"Ageism
Ageism is stereotyping of and discrimination against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. This may be casual or systematic. Wikipedia"

Clearly 60-69 are the safest group on the road.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join