It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brave New World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2002 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Are we heading towards the same beliefs portrayed in Aldous Huxley's ' Brave New World' ?
Some say we are some say we aren't, i think in some sense we are with the ever growing interest in modification of genetics, if any of you guys haven't read it i strongly reccomend it, it brings up some very intersting points about what our future could hold for us.

posted on Aug, 24 2002 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I see gengeneering as the next step in human evolution...For good or ill. All in all, an exciting, yet scary, thought.

Yes, I've been studying recently on genetics...We're only perhaps a couple of decades away from being able to to determine the direction of life itself. Some cancers & genetic blood disorders can already be *cured*; A fetus & its parents can be examined to determine the likelyhood of genetic defects becoming apparent before the child is born.

Genetic Engeneering holds such vast promise for the overall health of the entire human population...And yet it also holds the horror of self-responsibility with such decisions that must be made as this fledgling science matures. Within the next generation or two, we will no longer be able to blame the fickle hand of fate to show us what we're going to be like in the future; Whatever happens, we'll only be able to blame ourselves.

posted on Aug, 29 2002 @ 11:41 AM
link   
First, there will be societal revulsion, then acceptance.

posted on Aug, 30 2002 @ 08:28 AM
link   
yeh they reckon in about the 2350 theres gunna be like 'sub groups' through out society which evryone will be a part of, of course some higher classs others lower...

posted on Sep, 1 2002 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It may be unstoppable, in the fields of genetic research, but if you control the actual lifeform from the beginning, then those in power can create, thru manipulation, a lower intellegence of the commoners. Thereby ensureing that the rich and powerful shall forever rein supreme in this world.

I personally dont like it, I would rather God create thru us rather than scientist and Govermental experimentation.

posted on Sep, 2 2002 @ 01:54 AM
link   
That's one of the *scary* thoughts concerning the actual implimentation of genetic technologies...Who will have the right to determine the results of the newly-conceived? Hopefully, the *parents* will retain that right. Then again, there's a lot of people that I wouldn't *trust* to make such decisions for their unborn child...

With a bit of luck, perhaps the American Petition (xmb.abovetopsecret.com...) might be a step in the right direction to keep corruptive influences out of this issue & many others that must be contemplated. Before I believe that humankind will be ready for the responsibility of such self-determination, there's a lot of factors that must be decided & we need to be confident that corruptive people (such as our current government) don't insinuate themselves into these decisions.

posted on Jul, 14 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Well its 2012 and its gotten a whole lot worse since the OP. Who knows what the state of the world will be in another ten years.

new topics

top topics

join