It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't driving a car more like a video game?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

If you get the right kind of car, you can lock in your cruise and raise and lower your speed with buttons on your steering wheel.

I think it's just supposed to be used for minor speed adjustments, but Teikiatsu will use it to freakin' drive the car. It drives me nuts because as soon as the cruise burns out, he'll whine about not having it.

But that sort of sounds like it would be close to what you want.

posted on Jul, 19 2018 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

NB, while there may be a place for such things in a future where every single person has the know how to defend themselves from the failure or hijacking of their vehicles on board systems, in the current era, where the technology which makes cars work is becoming increasingly indecipherable, even from a pure mechanical point of view, this sort of thing is asking for trouble.

Personally speaking, the fewer computer elements between me and the actual control of things like the steering, accelerating, braking, gear shifting and ignition of the engine, the better for me. I DESPISE the modern automobile for placing computers between the user and direct control of the machine. Solid linkages between pedals and brakes, with no ability for a computer to override the instruction of the user, are what I want from a car, and I know that without going classic (read: unaffordable and impractical), I will NEVER drive a car that is ideal for me.

It just is not safe or user serviceable enough for me to ever get behind the addition of yet more computerisation in vehicles. As I say, perhaps when people write in code as often as they write in English, and people have so much knowledge in that field that no company could compare to the wider, open source of information, such that folk could protect themselves from failure or hijack, there will be a place for this idea you spoke of... Until then, I would not trust it as far as it could be thrown... through the windshield of a car whose computer simply decided to accelerate through a busy intersection, despite the frantic attempts of its driver to brake for the lights.

<< 1   >>

join