It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why isn't driving a car more like a video game?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
So, driving home. I'm tired. My body is stiff. One lane road for a good 15-20 miles. Me trying to lean back and just mellow.

People in front of me being jackin' apes. Constantly changing the flow of traffic, speeding up, slowing down, harsh brakings etc.

My hips hurt, my knees hurt. I want to stretch out that left leg and I know my knee wants to pop like a firecracker.

And then the greatest idea ever:

Why are we still using pedals to drive with? Why can't we have stretch out leg room in the seats, and control everything from the wheel. Why is there even a steering wheel?? Why isn't there a frickin' video game controller coming out of my dashboard?!

I don't see any technological reason why this can't be a thing, so why isn't it a thing?

I'm not talking about self-driving vehicles, but I'm talking about actual comfortable driving--make it all part of a controller: gas and brake pedal, steering, lights, wipers, whatever!

You heard it here first.

edit on 17-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i have wondered the exact same thing

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Google the 1958 General Motors Firebird III joystick controller.

“Drive-by-wire” is more complicated than it looks, and until recently, electronic controls were not as reliable as mechanical and hydraulic systems.

When is the last time your laptop or PC froze on you?

Imagine the fun you’d have if your car’s joystick suddenly became a “dead stick” as you’re cruising down the highway!

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Probably because it's less safe?

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Probably because it's less safe?

That's why we make drivers pass an exam featuring GTA missions

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Unless you are driving a manual transmission, you are (essentially) driving an arcade game that has been around since at least the 80s.

My guess as to why you don't have a game controller to steer is because electronics fail at a greater rate than mechanical linkage.
If your power steering goes out you can still turn the wheel, if your joystick goes out. . . no control what so ever.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
Unless you are driving a manual transmission, you are (essentially) driving an arcade game that has been around since at least the 80s.

My guess as to why you don't have a game controller to steer is because electronics fail at a greater rate than mechanical linkage.
If your power steering goes out you can still turn the wheel, if your joystick goes out. . . no control what so ever.

Ah yeah I guess. I did have my power steering go out once and I freaked out haha

edit on 17-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Do you even drive?

Because the thought of the drivers I see having only a tray of buttons to push is terrifying to me.

Hell most people over 40 seem perpetually confused by their television remotes.

You want this person to drive only using their thumbs???

Thanks but no thanks.

lol
edit on 17-7-2018 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Yeah just going to leave this here.

posted on Jul, 17 2018 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

No I don't want old people to drive. I was talking about the future where everyone has mastered a video game.

It's not time yet. But it's coming..

This is one of my favorites. Still not sure how this happened

edit on 18-7-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Actually, you probably won't be able to drive at all. The day that's really coming is the one where all transportation is centrally managed.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Actually, you probably won't be able to drive at all. The day that's really coming is the one where all transportation is centrally managed.

Yeah

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Lol.

Just saw your edit with the video.

Wow.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Over the past 10 days I have watched 2 different drivers in a full 53' rig pull off things that this driver of a compact cannot do. . .

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

I share in your sadness.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 12:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Google the 1958 General Motors Firebird III joystick controller.

“Drive-by-wire” is more complicated than it looks, and until recently, electronic controls were not as reliable as mechanical and hydraulic systems.

When is the last time your laptop or PC froze on you?

Imagine the fun you’d have if your car’s joystick suddenly became a “dead stick” as you’re cruising down the highway!

I can see that now. Going down the interstate, rush hour traffic, and your car has to install the latest Adobe update.

Let's just hope you bought the latest cheat codes for extra lives.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 01:47 AM
link   
How many time while playing GTA (or some other piece of idiocy) have you hit the wrong button?
"Oops, I meant to turn on my blinker, not turn off the engine!" would become a real thing.

The current method gives each limb a seperate and unique set of contols, for a reason.

I have a Gran Prix, with the wiper / turn signal stalk on tight side of the wheel, and light on the left.
My old truck had light switch on the dash, gear selector on right side of wheel, blinker on left.

Simply put, it would be too much for someone to get used to.

And the whole drive by wire thing is patently unsafe. A model offering that came out when i was a kid, offering steering bt wire. Seems like it was quickly recalled and all cars retrofitted w/ direct control.

Its easier to drive when driver has direct input from thier actions.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Just get a steering wheel like Michael knight did for KITT.
Always wanted one... impractical I know but..

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Meh, I've got a steering wheel with pedals for my racing games as a controller is way too imprecise, can't provide the feedback the way a wheel does.

posted on Jul, 18 2018 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Actually the Ford Model T (one of the first production cars) had the throttle on the steering wheel.

I don't think I would like to have the throttle on the steering wheel, it would make it even more difficult to drive.

Nor would I like to trust my life to a game controller..

I think ultimately the car is not a place that you should relax too much. You should be alert. sh*t can happen at any time!

----

But on my car, once you set the cruise control, you can speed up and slow down the car with two buttons, and the radar will keep a safe distance to the car in front of you braking and speeding up automatically as needed.
edit on 18-7-2018 by nOraKat because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join