It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian cannabis workers targeted by U.S. border guards for lifetime bans

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Canadian cannabis workers targeted by U.S. border guards for lifetime bans

As tensions between Canada and the U.S. have risen in recent months, a quieter, slower-burning conflict has been developing along the border: Canadians associated with the cannabis industry — even if they have never used the drug — can be banned for life from America.

In addition to those who have used marijuana, Canadians who are involved with the cannabis economy have been labelled “inadmissible” because they are considered to be living off the profits of the drug trade. Once banned for life, they must seek legal waivers from an immigration lawyer — good for between one and five years — for the rest of their lives when they wish to cross the border.

Blaine, Wash.-based immigration lawyer Len Saunders said he hears from Canadians seeking waivers for inadmissibility because of cannabis at least once or twice a week — up from one or two cases per year 15 years ago.

What a stupid policy.

Sessions is flat wrong on this issue. From my perspective, I see this as doing absolutely nothing to stem the tide of social acceptance of cannabis. So what is the point behind this policy, again?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   
This is ridiculous.

This guy is bringing us backwards in time.

This entire thing is about protecting the petroleum and paper industries it has nothing to do with science or reality

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I'm banned . Their loss over the last 20 years is a LOT of money. I applied for access once and was denied. Lots of great places in the US to hunt and fish. To say they lost $100k from me alone wouldn't be far off. But they don't care.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: loam

Sounds like another method for generating revenue. How much does a waiver cost?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:23 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Madness is right

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:28 AM
link   

This is not a new thing and was going on before Trump iirc. I think it's stupid personally.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a Trump thing. In fact:

Trump says he is likely to support ending blanket federal ban on marijuana

President Trump said he likely will support a congressional effort to end the federal ban on marijuana, a major step that would reshape the pot industry and end the threat of a Justice Department crackdown.

Trump’s remarks put him sharply at odds with Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions on the issue. The bill in question, pushed by a bipartisan coalition, would allow states to go forward with legalization unencumbered by threats of federal prosecution. Sessions, by contrast, has ramped up those threats and has also lobbied Congress to reduce current protections for medical marijuana.

Trump made his comments to a gaggle of reporters Friday morning just before he boarded a helicopter on his way to the G-7 summit in Canada. His remarks came the day after the bipartisan group of lawmakers proposed their measure.

This is all on Sessions.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I know you weren't, I was heading off the eventual blame Trumpeters. I have not smoked weed ever, and am against smoking it, but I recognize it's medicinal use and think it should not be illegal, it should be treated like alcohol.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

To be clear, I'm not saying this is a Trump thing. In fact:

Trump says he is likely to support ending blanket federal ban on marijuana

President Trump said he likely will support a congressional effort to end the federal ban on marijuana, a major step that would reshape the pot industry and end the threat of a Justice Department crackdown.

Trump’s remarks put him sharply at odds with Atty. Gen. Jeff Sessions on the issue. The bill in question, pushed by a bipartisan coalition, would allow states to go forward with legalization unencumbered by threats of federal prosecution. Sessions, by contrast, has ramped up those threats and has also lobbied Congress to reduce current protections for medical marijuana.

Trump made his comments to a gaggle of reporters Friday morning just before he boarded a helicopter on his way to the G-7 summit in Canada. His remarks came the day after the bipartisan group of lawmakers proposed their measure.

This is all on Sessions.

Nope! As much as I dislike Sessions, that is simply not true. It is on CONGRESS! You know the same one that won't do squat on our current immigration laws?

We have a legislative branch for a reason. Unfortunately all they seem to want to do is protect their worthless virtue signaling selves so they get re elected.

Sessions job is to uphold our current law. He is NOT a legislator, no more than a judge should be able to legislate from the bench, but uphold our current laws.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree Congress needs to fix this.

But the AG also decides enforcement priorities.

Moreover, can you cite the law that prohibits entry into the US if you derive an economic benefit from legal activities in your native country, but is otherwise prohibited in the US?

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Everyone knows the ganja is a gateway drug that leads to all kinds of abhorrent Canadian behavior like politeness and excess poutine consumption, I'm all for this archaic policy.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: loam
a reply to: seeker1963

I agree Congress needs to fix this.

But the AG also decides enforcement priorities.

Moreover, can you cite the law that prohibits entry into the US if you derive an economic benefit from legal activities in your native country, but is otherwise prohibited in the US?

True on the enforcement priorities, on the law you asked, I don't have a clue. Bet you dollars to donuts though it is probably tied to the Patriot act.

Don't forget we have that 100 mile border Constitution free zone. I believe that was established sometime in the 1950's and pertains to Border Security? Not sure though....

Edit: Just checked and apparently the 100 mile Constitution Free Zone IS something being termed by the ACLU as a scare tactic because they want open borders and are upset that border patrol has a 100 mile zone at borders to make arrests of illegals. Just to clear that up.

edit on 13-7-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-7-2018 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Everyone knows the ganja is a gateway drug...

Just not a gateway to the US.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Just not a gateway to the US.

Nope, do not pass customs, do not collect $200, go directly to Club Gitmo.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
I'm banned . Their loss over the last 20 years is a LOT of money. I applied for access once and was denied. Lots of great places in the US to hunt and fish. To say they lost $100k from me alone wouldn't be far off. But they don't care.

Apparently I was in the wrong business.
With that kind of disposable income I could stay happily in Canada.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Pure stupidity.

But so long as cannabis remains illegal on the federal level this nonsense will remain.

I live on the border as well in North Dakota. Just this Monday enough signatures were submitted to get full legalization on the ballot this November! Won't help the idiocy pointed out in this thread...but, here's hoping!

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

When i applied it was $300 non refundable.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I just came back from a week in Vegas and you know what it was like buying a pack of cigarettes. Nothing to it and really no big deal at all.

Now I'm home in Florida where you would think the stuff was a chemical weapon. So old and ridiculous already.

posted on Jul, 13 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Canada should whip the middle finger by way of prohibiting entry for any American holding public office, since politicians catch The Stupid so easily. Don't need to pollute Canada with that particular brand of nonsense.

Nah, never mind. Canadians are too polite to retaliate like that.

<<   2  3 >>

join