It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Live Camera Feed of Brooks Falls at Katmai National Park, in Alaska. (Again)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This was a popular post last year so I thought I'd put it back here for those who want to see it again or for those who missed it.

This is a live camera feed of Brooks Falls at Katmai National Park, in Alaska.
The salmon run started in early July with thousands of fish swimming to their spawning grounds.

From dawn until dusk you can watch large brown bears (grizzlies) walking through the water and catching fish.
Usually there is two or more bears running around.
The rangers do a good job of panning the camera to see all the action.
Especially as the bears wander down stream towards fisherman.
They have some other cameras up there but this is the best one.
I read you can only get there by seaplane and there is over 2000+ bears there.
Interesting place.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Errollorre

Oooo ones there now
Now I'm going to watch it til it gets a fish
edit on 6-7-2018 by testingtesting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Where the Bigfoots at?

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Excellent stuff Erroll !

Pristine nature at its best ...

* those seagulls are cheeky buggers !

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So beautiful! I'd love to be in that water if the bears weren't there. LOL

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Bigfoot cam is a different utube channel.

There have been several rivers where fishing has been shutdown until after mid-July (king salmon run I believe). For some reason, they have not shown up. That is strange because you can usually set your cell phone clock to it (does anybody where a watch anymore??).

Plus it has been hotter than Houston up here! Fish don't like the warm waters like we don't like temps in the 80s. We start complaining at 74F!!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
It's the most wonderful time of the year.

For bears.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Thank you. I really enjoyed the video last year.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Interesting the different strategies employed by the bears: Wait for them at the apex of their leap up the falls or catch them on the way back, having failed to summit the falls.

Really cool, thanks!

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 09:45 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

I bet they keep score.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Hahaha! A beary Christmas.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Dang.

I wish I had thought of that.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 03:16 PM
link   
MOre fish trying to go upstream than I have seen so far.
Yesterday I actually saw a bear eating his newest catch, but yet to see an actual strike.

If nothing else, it's a cool thing to watch.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

There’s one right now that caught 3 salmon in as many minutes.

Easiest meal they’ll ever catch

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chadwickus
Easiest meal they’ll ever catch

Much easier than sneaking around Ranger Smith to steal pick-a-nic baskets.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
Where the Bigfoots at?

Eaten by the bears long ago.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
a reply to: Blue Shift

Bigfoot cam is a different utube channel.

There have been several rivers where fishing has been shutdown until after mid-July (king salmon run I believe). For some reason, they have not shown up. That is strange because you can usually set your cell phone clock to it (does anybody where a watch anymore??).

Plus it has been hotter than Houston up here! Fish don't like the warm waters like we don't like temps in the 80s. We start complaining at 74F!!

The failed king runs happened when we were enjoying unseasonably cool, wet late spring weather. I think we're seeing the effects of over fishing by the commercial guys (both offshore AK and Japanese). It's been a miserably fishing year so far. I should have half a deep freeze worth of kings by now, but instead I have none.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

That sucks.

That and it was combat fishing on Kenai (so I heard) before the shutdown. Hopefully the silver run will make up for it!

I am not sure if it is overfishing, pollution, or too warm water... probably all three. A complete shame because us land locked creatures need food too! Everybody loves kings! Sockeye, not the same level! I am usually the beneficiary of "too many fish to fit in the freezer" syndrome. Not even an offer this year.

I went down to Ship Creek (local, urban fishing spot) just to see if any had come back (there is a fish ladder up a dam with a walkway on top), nada. Nothing in the creek but water. Usually, there are stragglers hanging out when the silvers run but... nothing.

Very strange.

Good luck on the other runs this summer!

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF
I went down to Ship Creek (local, urban fishing spot) just to see if any had come back (there is a fish ladder up a dam with a walkway on top), nada. Nothing in the creek but water. Usually, there are stragglers hanging out when the silvers run but... nothing.

Put in a good 40 hours at Ship (with the family, so 4 rods in the water) on incoming tides from late May through to the week before the shutdown, nothing. We had two on the line and I had a drive by... personally saw less than a half a dozen kings caught. Worst I've ever seen it by far. It's been bad enough that I harvested some char and some pike for the grill in the past few weeks. Need fish, dammit!

I'll be hitting the reds in the next couple of weeks, and then hopefully the silver run is better than the past couple of seasons have seen. I remember the days when a man could fill his own tag and fill a proxy on one tide in less than an hour at Ship, looks like those days are long gone now.

posted on Jul, 10 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Sush! Say no such thing! I remember those days. It was a fun spectacle. Play tour guide to some tourists who don't know that salmon migrate from the ocean to fresh water to spawn. Explain what snagging is and when it is OK to do so. Confuse the h3ll out of them by using all the different names they are called! Messing with tourists is fun sometimes!

From late May, and still, nothing??!! Oh, that is both sad and frightening.

Did you see this? phys.org - Research shows diet shift of beluga whales in Alaska inlet.

Seem like the Cook Inlet is changing. I hope that Katmai is not seeing the same kind of change!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join