It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2018 @ 11:17 PM
link   

The United States appears to have shelved an “all or nothing” approach to North Korean denuclearization as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo prepares to head back to North Korea this week hoping to agree a roadmap for its nuclear disarmament.

First of all, I'd like to state that this is not a bad thing. Experts immediately said that demanding for NK to fully denuclearize wasn't going to go anywhere with the dictator, and that the 1 year that Trump was talking about was not a realistic timetable. Diplomacy has not been this administration's forte, but it is refreshing to see us engage in it.

The South Koreans, who have been pursuing their own talks with North Korea, argued that step-by-step negotiations were more likely to be successful than insisting Pyongyang yield to all U.S. demands before any concessions.

There was also a realization, one official said, that maintaining Chinese and Russian cooperation over North Korea would be “more problematic if the U.S. stuck to an all-or-nothing posture.”

However, with North Korea's history of deception and lies, I hope that not too many concessions are made, especially since there has been no evidence of stopping production.

It's a medium length article, I'm not going to quote a lot of it, I suggest a read.

Reuter s

My take on this, and the reason for this thread is -- if we can engage in diplomacy with and make concessions to a known dictator, why in the world can we not show a bit of the same with our best allies? Why do we only get softer with a known human rights abuser and not allies who make our lives easier, and we theirs?

edit on 4-7-2018 by Kharron because: bad keyboard again

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   
So basically, South Korea wants to try the same tactics that haven't worked for the last 30 years?

posted on Jul, 5 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
So basically, South Korea wants to try the same tactics that haven't worked for the last 30 years?

Has anyone ever bombed them in the last 30 years? And they have a burgeoning nuclear capability? What hasn't worked for them in the last 30 years?

And what isn't working now? We already made a concession to stop the joint military games in his neighborhood, and he isn't keeping his word yet. And now we're softening our approach from an already soft one and getting ready to make more concessions, when he hasn't done squat.

I'd say things are working very well for NK, until Trump realizes he's being played like the rest of us do, blows a fuse and potentially starts a war.

We know he'd have no problem attacking Venezuela, so he shows he's trigger happy. Let's hope Kim Jong keeps at least SOME promises so we don't all get sent to liberate North Korea.

new topics

join