It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: UN refugee chief resigns for "insult" over scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
A UN member is in trouble over sexual harassment charges. He has turned in his resignation letter saying that he was "insulted" by the lack of backing from other UN members. He says the allegations towards him are "unable to be sustained or upheld in court."

news.xinhuanet.com
GENEVA, Feb. 20 (Xinhuanet) -- The United Nations refugee chief Ruud Lubbers resigned Sunday due to dissatisfaction with the way the UN is dealing with allegations against him of sexual harassment.

Lubbers sent a letter of resignation as UN High Commissioner for Refugees to Secretary-General Kofi Annan, a spokesman of the refugee agency UNHCR confirmed in a telephone interview with Xinhua.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think that with the oil for food scandal troubling the other UN members, this has been given little coverage. This man sat on the Refugee Board as the High Commissioner for Refugees, and with such allegations towards him has lost respect amongst his fellow members.

I am in full support of the UN, the idea of it. But today they are more political than anything useful. They should be trying to help the people of the world instead of things like this.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Every day in corporate America and elsewhere there are hundreds of sexual harassment cases being taken up, many from people who suffer career damage as either "victim" or "perpetrator".

The UN is not immune to this kind of thing, it's an organization like any other, but how it deals with it transparently is interesting to see.

posted on Feb, 20 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yes, it is interesting how a world government man deals with it. But is it more then sexual harassment? This could be something like the paid reporter thing, this woman is paid by someone to claim sexual harassment to make the UN look bad, or worse, depending on your veiws of the UN.

BTW YES!!!! Finally! Got the story in right, first, and FIRST!(finally, do you know how much it burns that I get a story up minutes after it happened((live event in Toledo)) and yet someone from England beat me to it somehow.......)

join